• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Primary Springs

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
2023 Khaos Boost 155. I have 610km on the sled and I’m on primary spring number 4. Seem to last 1-1.5 rides and breaks in pretty much the middle of the spring. I bought glide washers from Fire and Ice after breaking 2 springs. My last ride I thought I had the problem solved but broke a spring again today with roughly 120km on it. Any other recommendations? Aftermarket springs any stronger. I don’t want to keep buying a $90 spring every ride.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
2023 Khaos Boost 155. I have 610km on the sled and I’m on primary spring number 4. Seem to last 1-1.5 rides and breaks in pretty much the middle of the spring. I bought glide washes from Fire and Ice after breaking 2 springs. My last ride I thought I had the problem solved but broke a spring again today with roughly 120km on it. Any other recommendations? Aftermarket springs and stronger. I don’t want to keep buying a $90 spring every ride.
Warranty will replace them.

A warranty history of 4 broken springs would get you a new clutch. (If you had the history)

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What spring part num are you using?

S
Feb 6, 2008
Could it be a clutch balance issue? Breaking from excessive vibration? If it’s not coil bind or physically burring into the clutch some where.

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Yah, after so many springs I'd be asking for a new primary... or if they balk, can you send the primary somewhere to be balanced?

T
Sep 10, 2009
I was going through a spring a ride on my 9R. I switched to a venom spring and I am 4 rides into the spring now. Venom has the stock boost spring rate available (orange). Might be worth a try.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Ya I would try an SLP or a Venom spring because they aren't beehive shaped where they get fatter in the middle like the stock spring. The most likely problem is that the spring is rubbing against the spider and causing it to break. The SLP or other springs are straight and will give you some clearance in the spider. Mine so far have lasted around 500 miles on my 9R. Plus theyre only like $30 vs the stock one...

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Just ordered 2 Venom springs, hopefully that solves my issue as I’m riding in the next few days, started a warranty history with me dealer about the broken springs will see where that ends up.

Last edited:

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
adding glide washers wont help as the real issue is there is not enough room for the heavier spring that is needed for the Boost..There are almost maxed out for stiffness of spring. All one can do is grind the sharp ends so it wont grab the spider or cover as hard...issue is it is coil bound...Has to be a bitch to change a spring in the field with the red loctite on the cover bolts...need a impact almost...and hard to compress the spring and start the bolts/bolt...

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Is that not the purpose of the glide washers to avoid coil binding ? Gives the steel spring a hard surface instead of the aluminum spider and cover so I don’t have to grind the spring ends.

S
Feb 26, 2023
Idaho
adding glide washers wont help as the real issue is there is not enough room for the heavier spring that is needed for the Boost..There are almost maxed out for stiffness of spring. All one can do is grind the sharp ends so it wont grab the spider or cover as hard...issue is it is coil bound...Has to be a bitch to change a spring in the field with the red loctite on the cover bolts...need a impact almost...and hard to compress the spring and start the bolts/bolt...
I carry an extra bolt (approx 10mm longer) to get them started, then once the rest are started, I remove it and replace it with the original.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
This seems to be a common problem this year with Polaris riders I ride with, I broke a few myself over the last couple seasons and have been on several rides this year where somebody in the group has a broken spring. I went directly to venom and my problem went away??

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Has anyone measured some new stock vs. aftermarket springs for length and diameter?

With so many breaking, I wonder if it's a manufacturing or oem spring specification problem?

Premium Features