• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How often are you replacing your sled?

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
I replace a sled very rarely and have never purchased one brand-new. The reasons are as follows: with three kids in college the cost of a new sled is prohibitive, 2.) Manufacturers are under such pressure to introduce new technology and new designs that they do so without having ironed out bugs and I can't stand to be a $10,000 design monkey,3.) The basic premise hasn't changed and sleds still remain not much more than two skis and a track, 4.) the entire rider forward movement has produced ugly sleds that don't handle as well as the old tried-and-true trailing arm design.

Overall the poor design and general lack of quality coming out of the manufacturers like Polaris is appalling and so I dont understand how someone is comfortable throwing +$10k into a new POS.

2 sleds i have at this time are over 10 years old and the newest POS i have is a 2010 800 RMK. Both the 04 Escape and 03 Summit below runs as good or better than the 2010 RMK. Also completely bullet proof were the two Gen II's and 96 XCR 600 SP triple in the "Agressive" style chassis......IQ is a POS.

Dude, are you serious?

I have been upgrading every 2 to 3 years and have had more fun on these new sleds than I could have ever imagined. Stock to stock it cost me 1400 a year to trade up from my 2012 to 2014 Pro, but it was 2750 per year to go to the 16 Axys from the 14. Hope there's enough snow that it pays off.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
I get a new one every year. Always have somebody that wants my old one and it costs between 1200-1500 a year to upgrade. To me it is just easier to come up with that amount a year rather than 3 grand in two years or 4500 in three years.
If we get another terrible snow year this winter I may have to re-think it.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
You guys upgrading every two years, do you trade in or do you sell outright? When do you sell, spring or fall? Do you snowcheck your new one or buy and in season model? What kind of hit do you take on trade in vs selling outright?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I went from a '72 (i rode it for 20 years and then bought it from my Dad in 95) to a 00, then an 01 and now a 13.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You guys upgrading every two years, do you trade in or do you sell outright?

Mostly stock sled, sell outright. Clean it up, fix any problems, never been an issue selliing it, don't overprice it, but don't give them away, either, priced to the market. I have done a contingent fee through a dealer, 5%, on mod sleds, before the internet thing really took off. Never traded one. ~20 sleds in the past 20 years (I currently have 4).

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For people that ride a lot every year... and buy their sleds "smart" at a good price from a good dealer... It can make sense to get a new one each year.

But... a "wrench can be thrown in the machine". Breakdowns or issues.

In my years here... and thousands of PM's/emails and phone conversations with our members I've come to a conclusion. If your new sled is a good one without issues, AND you ride a lot (thousands of miles and 50+ days/year... then it works out well. I've seen and heard it many times.

But.. if you ride that much, and you have a difficult to fix issue under warranty... this may be the bane of your existence.... I've seen and heard it many times. Parts that are backordered or an issue that eludes diagnosis by even the best of shops... EVEN if you are willing to pay for it outside of warranty... OUCH.

I've never been a first year kind of guy... don't have the money for it for one, But also, I've yet to see a sled/bike/car, within a model designation, that was not better after the first year release. Sure, there are some "home runs", but even with that... the refinements always seem to make them better.

EG. If you have a 2015 PRO-Ride Mtn sled... and got a golden ticket... With a 2016 SKS at, say, $13,200 (bargain price)... plus a golden ticket discount... still at $12,000 for the sled... plus tax and fees.... Most stock 2015 800 PRO's/RMK's out there that I'm seeing are going for sub $10000 and in many cases sub $9000.... Thats a lot when you factor in all the time to actually get the sled... set it up, pay taxes on it.

Don't get me wrong... a new sled is FREAKIN AWESOME... and so is the new AXYS sled... all depends on what the most important use of your money is and how much money you have.

S

SXViper

Nov 26, 2007
Lenexa, Kansas
I tend to upgrade when I feel the design change warrants it. For instance in 09 I bit on the XP but was then on a turbo pro in 12. In 15 needing a solid sled for my wife and given all the snowcheck give aways we picked one up. Now with the golden ticket on her sled and the hopeful sale of my 12 I'll be in my Axys for not to much money. I try not to look at the $ aspect as we travel to ride and only get in three to four trips a year. I really don't want to see the numbers. Especially when I have a 12 turbo sitting for sale with only 500 miles on it.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I really don't want to see the numbers.

Been there, done that. Thats when you know you have too much money in a sled. That happened to me on 3-4 sleds and every race car I ever owned :)
Eric

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I have been trading every 2 yrs, I find it easier to write a check for a couple grand and have a new sled vs waiting 5yrs and having to write one for 8k to upgrade. In reality I should probably just rent for the few trips a yr I get to go on, I enjoy having my own sled to tinker with though so I justify it for now.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Every two to three years for me depending on miles and model year changes. I'm running a 14 and would have possibly traded this year but two things kept me from upgrading, little low on miles and I didn't feel like being a test rat for Polaris on a new machine.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I am on the every year holdover plan right now. I may go for an Axys though, we will see what the budget says around Christmas. I suspect it costs me $3-4k per year between the payments and depreciation. I ride 1200-1500 miles a season. I leave the sleds 99% stock because they really don't need anything these days anyway. I make the deal around x-mas because that is when the first round of sales incentives generally kick in, discounts and extended warranties. I haven't found a dealer of any brand that will take a trade yet. With a relationship building at the Polaris dealer, this may change, otherwise craiglist. Sold my '13 in a matter of hours, two days later had my new '14 on the snow.

Not cheap for sure but, I always have a new sled to ride. Living within sight of the mountains you ride means this is an important toy to have, and it is the only toy currently, so by golly, I want a good one!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Every 2 to 3 years is average for me. I had an 11 Pro and a 13 Pro and I have a 16 Axys snowchecked.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
You guys upgrading every two years, do you trade in or do you sell outright? When do you sell, spring or fall? Do you snowcheck your new one or buy and in season model? What kind of hit do you take on trade in vs selling outright?

spring check. sit on current sled til august. start listing for sale on all the sites (craigslist, facebook sled swap and sells, haydays...etc..) and move it out before december 15th. becomes easier and easier as time goes by as your leading in winter. key is not to panick in august as no one is thinking snow yet and no urge to purchase....then november hits and new sleds start showing up....everyones buddies see the new sleds and gotta have one for themselves...boom, sold last years sled for minimal loss.

it costs me about 2k or less to upgrade each year which to me is worth it. I like having latest and greatest, i like having new sleds, I like having warranty. And i'm not brand loyal so i like trying new sleds and usually go with what is likely to be better. all the manufactures are so close now its not as big of deal.

MountainFanatic

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2012
Wa
96' Phazer, 98' Mountain max 600, 00' MM700, 03' MM700 (big bore), 07' Apex (stage II supercharger), 11' M8 snopro, and just snowchecked an Axys

i'm on about a 4 year cycle now... and normally i'm one to wait a couple years after new models came out to see how they actually perform.. but this year i made an exception on the axy's.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
94 xlt, 97 700,98 600, 00 edge 600, 01 800 rmk, 02 700 rmk, 03 escape, 2 mod sleds( dumb and dumder ideas) 05 800 rmk, 07 700 dragon, 09 m8, 09 m1000 09m8 turbo(dumb and dumber again) 11 m8, 13 800 pro,15 800 pro. 16 800sks. Wife says I'm spoiled or crazy or both:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features