• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How often are you replacing your sled?

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Just as it states you often are you buying a new sled? What is the average amount of add ons? Just started working some numbers and I am getting some serious cash into a sled. To sell every year 10-12 k a year??? Please say I am wrong!

D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
How much are you putting on in add-ons? Should be 2-5k to sell every year. Depending on the year, how many miles you put on, how much snow there is, upgrades to the new model, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
Generally I trade up every 2 years at about $2000 a year for my use. This year I traded my 15 Switchback in for another Switchback 16 because I had what seemed to be un-fixable rpm issues. $4,300 kick in balls for one season trade in. Sled pissed me off so as long as the 2015 runs correctly I won't bitch a bit about it.

I also purchased an SKS. First time I ever bought 2 new sleds in one year. Hoping the RPM issues are straightened out???

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Still waiting, im 8 years behind. Nothing that has come out is so amazing im willing to spend 15,13,12 or even 10,000 on to upgrade. The warranty is really the only "wow that would be nice" factor for me.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
They print new money every day.

They might print it every day but they don't like sharing it.....:face-icon-small-sad

I'm 3-4 years, typically. Also add about $1000 in parts/accessories. With the rising costs of these new sleds and the rising costs of my 2 kids I might be stretching that out to 5-6 years!

Hopefully my new '16 turns out to be a keeper!

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have definately been drawn in over the past three years I bought new every year after a turbo,shocks,skid etc there 12-15k in extras just was stupid. Ride 4-5 times a year so let say 25 days and sell it for 15-17k doing the math it no longer makes sense at all.. New sled 1000 in extras and keep it 4 years!! Work to hard to piss it away!

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
I sell every year but the sleds pretty worn out by the time in done with it. I usually do mods that are transferable so they don't cost me as much. I usually lose about 3-4000 but If I rode a sled two seasons it would most likely leave me stranded out there and I can't have that. Warranty doesn't help when you're in the middle of nowhere

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
It only cost me $2500 plus tax and a set of Ice Age bomber rails to upgrade to a 16 from my 15. I haven't been in the buying new game long enough to say what I usually do since I'm only 20, but this is my 2nd year in a row ordering a new sled. It just comes down to priorities. If you want a new sled bad enough you'll find a way to make it happen.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I use to dump a bunch of money into them and keep them 3-4 years and basically give them away at the end of that time.
Decided to change that about 3 yrs ago. Now I try and buy a new hold over at a big discount (except this year, ordered a axys) and spend as close to zero as possible on mods and buy a new sled every year. I ride 40-60 days a season now and keeping a primary sled more then a season just requires too much upkeep in the off season to make it reliable for the next coming season. We do 100% back country riding, no trails around so reliability is a must. Eric

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
2 years don't see the point in spending 3g on rebuild engine,clutches, shock, all bearings.sliders.etc. just upgrade. They never feel the same as a new one.

go high fast

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Missoula MT
I replace a sled very rarely and have never purchased one brand-new. The reasons are as follows: with three kids in college the cost of a new sled is prohibitive, 2.) Manufacturers are under such pressure to introduce new technology and new designs that they do so without having ironed out bugs and I can't stand to be a $10,000 design monkey,3.) The basic premise hasn't changed and sleds still remain not much more than two skis and a track, 4.) the entire rider forward movement has produced ugly sleds that don't handle as well as the old tried-and-true trailing arm design.

Overall the poor design and general lack of quality coming out of the manufacturers like Polaris is appalling and so I dont understand how someone is comfortable throwing +$10k into a new POS.

2 sleds i have at this time are over 10 years old and the newest POS i have is a 2010 800 RMK. Both the 04 Escape and 03 Summit below runs as good or better than the 2010 RMK. Also completely bullet proof were the two Gen II's and 96 XCR 600 SP triple in the "Agressive" style chassis......IQ is a POS.

RSCN0409.JPG P5085504[1].jpg 2010 rmk 3.jpg

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Buying 'brand' new:

If you ride stock, don't destroy the sled annually, and buy smart, you'll do just as well buying every other year, or every year, as you will owning a sled for 3, 4, or 5 seasons. Warranty can be a real savior here, too.

If you like to do some minor performance mods, clutching, can, shocks, arms, you're usually locked in for at least two seasons without losing your butt. Sometimes these mods can be moved from sled to sled every two or three years, if you get on a new chassis design early in it's lifecycle.

Open up the motor for mods, and you might get more smiles, but you won't recover the costs. Not including long-term repairs, of course. Lose a motor out of warranty, and any cost recovery goes out the window, too.

Lots of ways to do this, depending on what you have for mechanical skills, but those are the averages I've seen for the guys I ride with and dealers I know. In the end, you are averaging +$2/mile US for a new sled in almost every alternative, depreciation, fuel/oil, insurance, warranty/repairs whether you own it 2, 4, 6 or 8 years. Pay to play. But what a way to live.

G
Jan 21, 2008
Wabush NL, Canada
Generally I trade up every 2 years at about $2000 a year for my use. This year I traded my 15 Switchback in for another Switchback 16 because I had what seemed to be un-fixable rpm issues. $4,300 kick in balls for one season trade in. Sled pissed me off so as long as the 2015 runs correctly I won't bitch a bit about it.

I also purchased an SKS. First time I ever bought 2 new sleds in one year. Hoping the RPM issues are straightened out???

Id kick the dealer in the balls if you snowchecked two new sleds and took a $4300 loss on the 15.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I use to dump a bunch of money into them and keep them 3-4 years and basically give them away at the end of that time.
Decided to change that about 3 yrs ago. Now I try and buy a new hold over at a big discount (except this year, ordered a axys) and spend as close to zero as possible on mods and buy a new sled every year. I ride 40-60 days a season now and keeping a primary sled more then a season just requires too much upkeep in the off season to make it reliable for the next coming season. We do 100% back country riding, no trails around so reliability is a must. Eric

A lot has changed though too in the past 5-10 years. The stock sleds are so good you don't really need to mod them like you used to.

D
Oct 13, 2008
I usually replace them about every 4 years and add around $1200- $1500 in add on's. My wife says I can get a new one and put whatever I want on it as long as she gets a new one with same add on's. Thus every 4 years as I have been buying them 2 at a time in since 07. $24,000 plus another $2500 in parts this year is getting out of control. Had $25,000 into my 01 mod and basically gave it away in the end. Nice thing now is that the new ones are so good you can keep them a lot longer if you want to. I could retire if I never started riding these dam things, but what fun would that be. I hear it's over rated anyways.

Premium Features