• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How often are you replacing your sled?

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
intervals between sleds

Started with an 82 Kawasaki 550 Interceptor (rocket in a straight line!). Went to a 1992 Polaris 650 RXL (love the wail of a triple). Then a 2000 Polaris 700 RMK "LONG" track 136". 2008 Polaris 800 Dragon 155. 2012 Polaris 800 RMK 155" (front cooler). I'll stay with the same sled as long as there are no problems. Every few years, the technology upgrades warrant a change. But like Mountain Horse commented, never buy the first year. Wait until the 2nd year, after all the refinements are made. I'm sure the Axys will have some fine-tuning done for its second year.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I would say, never buy a first year cat.

I took the first year risk with the 11 pro RMK, and never regretted it. I did get lucky. Turned out better than any of the other model year 11 alternatives. But, there was a whole preproduction fleet of 11 RMKs for demos in 2010, which I think really helped them tune up the chassis before release. Not so for the Axys, nothing for us to try, little for poo other than handbuilt prototypes. And that's where I think the risk really comes from - closing the gap between prototypes and production line sleds. Hope the 16's shine.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
went from a '93 phazer to a '09 rmk in 2010. a nice upgrade and I'll probably be running it for the next couple of years too till I am done with school.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
2006 IQR 800 turbo
2013 pro 600 turbo
2014 pro 800
2016 axys

not sure how it will continue in the future .... depends on if i "need" a tax write off

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I cannot keep a sled more than 2 years as the motors are shot in 1.5 years and need them replaced under warrantee. Ski-doo and Polaris this has been true. Now that my 16 will have 4 year warrantee I may hold on to it longer as long as it doesn't get obsolete before the warrantee is done. With 2 sleds this means an upgrade every year (alternating) and it is expensive.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
Hmm

Every year if the boss, aka Mrs. Wingnut, allows it.. She usually gets a new one more often than I do... Which is ok, if we don't like the way her new one works it gets kicked to the curb..... If I get a diamond, which my 15 seems to be, it might make 3 years tops... If she gets a diamond and we still want a new one, we sell mine, I take over hers, and she gets a new one, unless she really likes hers, then we keep it, and I get a new one.... I see it all as a win win winner winner chicken dinner....

First year builds don't scare me anymore, like I said, if it's crap, it goes away..

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Expensive is relative and the snowmobiles like the Axys are damn good deals compared to what we were buying 10 years ago and spending lots of money on to make them worth riding. The newer sleds are very good in stock condition and the 4 year warranty makes it an even better investment. In these days of $100,000+ wakeboard boats, $18,000 jet skis, $65,000 pickups, $20,000+ UTVs and $10,000 mountain bikes, I like what I get when I buy a new sled. In a good year, I will use the sled for 7 months which beats the hell out of the wakeboard boat or jet ski investment which is a 4 month window toy here.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Self guided elk hunt on a private ranch for a week or two, tag+lease+food+fuel +processor = $5 large US. That doesn't include a new bow or gun or ATV or horse. Makes 5 months of sledding look cheap. But I do get some fine eating for a year, and if I don't kill, it's on me.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Self guided elk hunt on a private ranch for a week or two, tag+lease+food+fuel +processor = $5 large US. That doesn't include a new bow or gun or ATV or horse. Makes 5 months of sledding look cheap. But I do get some fine eating for a year, and if I don't kill, it's on me.

Also the guys that will spend 15 or 20 thousand on an African hunt, then add trophy fees and mounting costs. Than they tell me it must be nice to get a new sled, they have to ride their old sled cause they cannot afford a new one. All in priorities I guess. I am fortunate enough to shoot an elk every year on forest service ground I drive to and can shoot deer and antelope from my deck at the house.

MTNMAN800

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Denver Colorado
Priorities for sure - you pay to play with just about everything these days. As I have gotten older with more repsonsibilities the miles and trips per year have taken a big hit. I used to replace every 2-3 years but now I've found as long as I make it through the first year or two (under warranty) without big issues then I need to keep it and just be good with the maintenance. It really comes down to the amount of use, IMHO, more than the amount of time. Right now have a 14 Pro with mods mostly to make it comfortable and ride / handle to my liking ( I don't do much to the engine ) and I don't see myself upgrading at the earliest 2018 - 2019 mainly because I don't have many miles on it and its in great shape mechanically and cosmetically. In my experiences you need to be looking to get rid of the sled around the 4k mile mark - regardless of what year it is.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I would say, never buy a first year cat.

I took the first year risk with the 11 pro RMK, and never regretted it. I did get lucky. Turned out better than any of the other model year 11 alternatives. But, there was a whole preproduction fleet of 11 RMKs for demos in 2010, which I think really helped them tune up the chassis before release. Not so for the Axys, nothing for us to try, little for poo other than handbuilt prototypes. And that's where I think the risk really comes from - closing the gap between prototypes and production line sleds. Hope the 16's shine.

Burandt never used to take yearly summer trips to Chile back then either. Now he gets to test them for us while we are on the sun deck with a cold one.

B

BallsDeep_5280

Oct 16, 2012
CO
1) Replace sled when your wife says you can

2) Replace sled when you can afford to buy a replacement

3) Replace sled when old sled can't be fixed

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
I went from a 95 to an 03 to my 06 then a 2015 but sold the 2015 so still on a 06. Hard to replace a 900. I usually replace my sleds when I come across a great deal but like I said I have a hard time finding a sled that pulls like a mac truck like my 900 does so I may be stuck here for a while. Good thing everyone else parts theirs out so I can keep my spare parts in stock and that IndyDan isn't planning on stopping making his 900 parts anytime soon. SHWING!!!!!

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I went from a 95 to an 03 to my 06 then a 2015 but sold the 2015 so still on a 06. Hard to replace a 900. I usually replace my sleds when I come across a great deal but like I said I have a hard time finding a sled that pulls like a mac truck like my 900 does so I may be stuck here for a while. Good thing everyone else parts theirs out so I can keep my spare parts in stock and that IndyDan isn't planning on stopping making his 900 parts anytime soon. SHWING!!!!!

Put that 900 in a pro?

Premium Features