• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Worst winter yet?

P
Dec 15, 2018
My buddy has a small family ranch on the other side of mcdonald pass on the way to that small reservoir headed up to ovando ect. This was three weeks ago. I got invited to hunt a elk b tag on a big private place down near Tom miner on the day after Christmas. Iam a little spooked lol. That country has big grumpy bears . Lots of elk but a rifle shot may be a diner bell . I’d rather be learning to ride. I only just had one or two days where I didn’t just get stuck all day last year lol . New sled with zero miles on the trailer lol.

26E3A759-A2F3-493A-B439-AD5E688FDAE8.jpeg

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
My buddy has a small family ranch on the other side of mcdonald pass on the way to that small reservoir headed up to ovando ect. This was three weeks ago. I got invited to hunt an elk b tag on a big private place down near Tom miner on the day after Christmas. Iam a little spooked lol. That country has big grumpy bears . Lots of elk but a rifle shot may be a diner bell . I’d rather be learning to ride. I only just had one or two days where I didn’t just get stuck all day last year lol . New sled with zero miles on the trailer lol.
Eh they are more scared of you than you think. But if you do see one, SSS lol.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Shot a coyote then hucked it into my city friends fenced yard. He spent the entire next day trying to get the city and spca to come and get it. Stressed him right out. He thought a car hit it so hard it landed it in his yard. Told him four months later. The look on his face was priceless! Haha.
Same friend and his wife have a 2 1/2 year old. I filled their mail box with golf balls, they went everywhere when he opened it. From that point on, daughter pointed out that EVERY mailbox was filled with golf balls and wanted to stop! haha

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
We got a much needed few inches in southwest Montana but we need a lot more . Bad news is it’s all ready to slide . So if your going out no matter what, don’t go super steep cause it’s ready to slide. Seems that strange corner of Idaho may be ok for the holidays (nothing steep!)

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Unstable snowpack is going to be the issue when it does finally get cold and snow lots. A late start, and excited guys wanting to ride after waiting for the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Unstable snowpack is going to be the issue when it does finally get cold and snow lots. A late start, and excited guys wanting to ride after waiting for the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if we finally get some LATE BIG SNOW, then you are 100% Correct

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
PC, a bit more detailed warning….

Steep stuff slides on its own and sheds easily.
It’s the mid range that breaks with new pressure and triggers with riders, etc.

Had a mild hill once we were stopped eating our lunch in some 8-10’ spaced Quakeys.
Silently and slowly we realized the ground was moving and it slid three of us into the closest tree, like someone pushed us there by hand, snow piling up to the seats as it lifted us and our lunches up off them.
Look out into treeless area and it’s all moving much faster, only 20-30 yards away.

Pretty Erie.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I’m hooking the camper up and heading to south padre tx. So it should snow soon.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
This is getting bad here. Drove 2 hours one way to ride a place that's in the high Sierras 10k elevation. Drove past first gate only to be shut down at the second gate at 8k. Still no snow on the road to unload. Saw plenty up there in the mountains, just couldn't access it. As of today, still not one ride on the new 9R

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
This is getting bad here. Drove 2 hours one way to ride a place that's in the high Sierras 10k elevation. Drove past first gate only to be shut down at the second gate at 8k. Still no snow on the road to unload. Saw plenty up there in the mountains, just couldn't access it. As of today, still not one ride on the new 9R
Howdy Raymond: Yup, this no snow situation sucks, especially when you have a new ride to break-in. Two of my buds in Carson City picked up Turbo's - one Poo, one Doo. Got some miles on them at Hope 3-4 wks ago. Had enough to run the road back to Upper Blue and back a few times. You might check with Tip and see what he had up at LTS the other day. Maybe you can take the road out to Meadow Lk. Good luck with the 9R whenever you get to ride it. See ya on the mountain. Happy New Year.

Z

Premium Features