• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Your thoughts on the new Arctic Cat Blast Mountain

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
TSS is short for Throttle Safety Switch. It's in the throttle block on the handlebars. It's a safety mechanism so if the throttle gets stuck somehow and you let off the lever it will kill the engine. They can be problematic causing the sled to bog at exactly the wrong time if they are not working correctly. Lots of people, including myself, disconnect them to avoid issues and just rely on pulling the tether or hitting the kill switch if we have a runaway.

BDX posted some pics yesterday of one of these hanging on a scale under 350lb with a 450 big bore kit. Didn't say if that was dry or crate weight.

I’ll disconnect ours when it gives me problems. So far so good.

I don’t know how they got it to 350lbs but I saw it too. I don’t want a BB, just a better pipe and intake. I’ll take care of the rest of it. As far as the weight, I’m bolting it on. Bumpers, Zero Pros w/ti springs, skis, storage, 4 wheel kit and rail reinforcements. I have a battery on order and traded in the suitcase already but that’s all I’ve done for saving weight so far.

Tetonice made me Send this from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA

Not sure how relevant this is but this kiwi or aussie lol living in Japan has done a couple videos on the blast. Hope link works lol

i've thought that dropping the alpha skid down on the blast would do wonders. I'm 220 and 6ft and this thing isn't easy to sidehill. too much ski pressure, too wide of stance, and too low. i'd love some more info about the skid change. did they make it themselves?

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I dunno? I thought at first they used different mounting points that where factory but maybe they fabricated a bracket? Ill ask him on his channel. I still don't ride well enough to understand suspension changes lol!!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Actually seez the front shocks are off a yamaha "something " and that the rear skid has brackets to lift the skid and shock. Skids front shocks off a yeti snowbike and rear is a fox pro 2 but no real details just as if ,"you know just added a bracket"

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
You can see the little drop bracket off the stock one. Kinda like the 12-13 relocating brackets that MVM sells but straight down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah after looking at mine the mounting bracket appears to be a bolted on the running board and two rivets at top. So a clever guy could just make another one with stock height and a couple more holes for r&d then find the place that works best and go from there. There's so many "builders brackets" in the circle track and off road auto market that are cheaper than the metal. Might get lucky . And of course drilling some holes in flat stock is pretty easy too lol. I allways see several spots to move stuff under there but still don't know why . Maybe I should learn that first huh. Lol and for the life of me I don't understand all these rivets!? Guess its better than a million spot welds but jeez these things are tiny. Why not bolt stuff thats bound to come off?

20210224_164539.jpg 20210224_164510.jpg

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
So some weights for everyone.

Stock shocks vs HCR remote Resi w/Ti springs/Zero Pro center and Float 3 rear -.5lbs
Stock can vs BMP -18lbs
Stock skis vs C&A Pro BX +4lbs

Also added a Terra Alps 4-wheel kit, billet lower center shock bushing.

Added a tunnel bag and handlebar bag. Really tempted to play with the intake duct etc.

Still waiting for a Backwoods Alpha brace and MVM rope saver. Battery is on route.

I have half of a belt drive but the pulleys are hella expensive and I’m not going to spend a grand on a BD. But I will bolt on my oil delete BDX cover as soon as my BDX oil tank comes with the proper pump mount.

Thinking of dropping the rear end an inch or so. We’ll see how the kids like it tomorrow.

06f7e0be76c2095c0fdf370f88238a07.jpg

393388f819bfbbd6cd4afea9550006f7.jpg

dbfe33c4dbfd7e7f270a2ea7e36e5587.jpg

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i hope the aftermarket is watching this thread! Here's what i want after more seat time:

1. narrow stance kit, with lightweight shock bodies - option to reuse stock springs
2. alpha skid drop kit - too much weight on the skis. this might require different shocks in the rear. that's fine, but keep them on the less expensive side.
3. Lightweight and simple is key. lets not kid ourselves, this is a kids sled with kid horsepower!
4. Single pipe kit - this thing should make more power than 65hp. 75 would be perfect!
5. A bumper package - the rear is a joke and crazy low, and the none in the front. STUPID. Kids run over stuff. DUH! ha ha
6. A belt holder - unless i'm dumb and don't see the stock one???

thanks a ton!

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
I have left my sled completely bone stock and my boy is rippin it up. see video. He turns 12 next week so this is still when he is 11 from last weekend. Just put the kids on it and let them ride. Yes I do wish it was a little lighter and slightly more powerful but honestly for 11 -12 years old it works very well. By the time he is 13 I will need something with more power. I am thinking the new Polaris 650 RMK Khaos Matryx slash 146. It is actually lighter than this 400 at 426 lbs with tons more power. Skinnier ski stance. Yes a higher price tag but should actually be pretty sweet sled in the mountains for the teens.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I have left my sled completely bone stock and my boy is rippin it up. see video. He turns 12 next week so this is still when he is 11 from last weekend. Just put the kids on it and let them ride. Yes I do wish it was a little lighter and slightly more powerful but honestly for 11 -12 years old it works very well. By the time he is 13 I will need something with more power. I am thinking the new Polaris 650 RMK Khaos Matryx slash 146. It is actually lighter than this 400 at 426 lbs with tons more power. Skinnier ski stance. Yes a higher price tag but should actually be pretty sweet sled in the mountains for the teens.

I bought my 13yo daughter a SBA 600 two years ago. It’s a great sled but weighs 460-ish since it’s an Assault. I was hoping for a 146” Alpha in a Riot X/Hardcore 600. I woulda snow checked one of those if it was offered. Polaris did the right thing by putting the small engine in the highend optioned model.

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
I bought my 13yo daughter a SBA 600 two years ago. It’s a great sled but weighs 460-ish since it’s an Assault. I was hoping for a 146” Alpha in a Riot X/Hardcore 600. I woulda snow checked one of those if it was offered. Polaris did the right thing by putting the small engine in the highend optioned model.

Yeah the weight has always been my biggest issue with finding the right sled for a kid. We ride different now than when I was a kid 30 years ago so having a sled that is light weight but powerful enough is a hard balance. I think the 650 will be a great wifes and kids sled that can meet both of their needs. My wife doesn't like riding my turbo LOL.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
rad video!! your kid rips! quick update after our Yami "Blast" spent another weekend out in the real world. I installed a lightweight battery and an HPS can, lost about 28lbs between the two updates. Surprisingly, i'm surprised to report that the little sled picked up some ponies with the can. went from revving at 7350 at 5000ft to 7700+ at 5000ft. Much more zippy! the weight off the front was helpful too - steering feels a little lighter now as well. All in all very happy! fun little sled!!!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
rad video!! your kid rips! quick update after our Yami "Blast" spent another weekend out in the real world. I installed a lightweight battery and an HPS can, lost about 28lbs between the two updates. Surprisingly, i'm surprised to report that the little sled picked up some ponies with the can. went from revving at 7350 at 5000ft to 7700+ at 5000ft. Much more zippy! the weight off the front was helpful too - steering feels a little lighter now as well. All in all very happy! fun little sled!!!

What battery did you end up with? I’m waiting on a Shorai but it’s been on b/o for months.
We saw a jump in rpm after the 6hr mark and again at the 10hr Mark. I’ve been swapping cans since it was brand new so I haven’t noticed a performance increase. I can’t wait for a pipe to come out for it. We will see an easy 10hp with that alone I bet. It’s so choked down.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Just realized I've been watching yamadoo videos on you-tube!!! Like father like son! You guys can ride like crazy!! Sad that I can't even ride my blast like that lol! But I think it shows that the sled has reached out to some with good results! I dunno if iam right but for me i just need a little more "lift" . I get stuck a lot because o can't turn fast enough sometimes? I know thats probably me but on the 600 I can usually pin and wiggle a bit more? Would the lowering the track mod help this? Man iam stoked for your kid he's only going to get so much much better!! He'll be an ambassador before you know it!!

Premium Features