• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Xtra Lite suspension

R
Nov 9, 2008
SE IDAHO
My '01 700 has the xtra lite suspension (144) and I had a few questions about this particular setup. When I bought the sled the previous owner had the hd springs installed and I never got around to changing 'em out with lighter springs. Also the rear shock is a ryde fx... Is this stock? When I first took a good look at the rear skid I could tell things were not as they should be. On my last ride of the season the support strut that keeps the rear shock from over pivoting had snapped because it was rubbing on the shock itself and eventually wore enough to break when it hit hard enough. Also my middle outside bogey wheels managed to snap off of the perches sometime before I owned the machine and one of the rail end caps is mia... Could this all be related to one part being worn or out of adjustment? Maybe the hd springs are causing this (I can't see how) or more likely is this a bearing in one of the rear axle bogeys going bad and causing all of this.I've had that happen to me before and couldn't believe how much one bad bearing affected the rest of the skid. Any way sorry for the long thread but would appreciate some input. Thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
RydeFX was not stock in '01. I would be looking to make sure the suspension mounting points are in the right locations and it's mounted in the chassis right. Mounting point center to center is off then you can cause all sorts of issues as the suspension compresses.

Also, there are spacers to space that coupling rod out so that it doesn't drag on the shock. If the RydeFX is bigger than the shock before that would cause the rubbing.

sled_guy

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
I have the same skid, but mine has fox shocks. Mine has two rods instead of one. Until I saw this thread, I assumed two rods were stock.

skid_2.jpg

skid_1.jpg

Premium Features