• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP DIED

C
Oct 22, 2013
western nebraska
Went riding on a 4 day weekend starting last Thursday. Rode 60 miles Thursday, on Friday we rode around 80 lots of trails on Friday anyway on the way back to the pickup on Friday riding bout 45 mph down the trail and my sled dies and a pile of smoke comes from the engine compartment. Ok no biggie i prob smoked a belt and it got tangled up and killed the engine. Checked the belt and it was ok the other guy that i was riding with came up about that time and told me to try and start it again. I pulled the rope and a cloud white smoke came out of the exhaust. I pulled the hood and checked the coolant level still full. tried to start twice more and gave up and pulled it to the trailer. When we got there I checked the coolant level again and there was none in the reservoir. Pulled the plugs and pulled the rope and alot of antifreeze came out of the plug holes. I pulled the head last night expecting to see something completely destroyed. pistons and cylinders look good from what i can see. It was getting late at this point so i went no further and set the head down and put 2 bolts in it to hold it down and keep dirt out. What could have went bad to dump the coolant in to the cylinders like this? I've never been into a 2 stroke engine before so it will be a learning experience. thanks for any help in advance

Last edited:
C
Oct 22, 2013
western nebraska
:lalala: not the news i wanted to hear but what i expected somebody to tell me.... i was hoping somebody else has had it happen to them before and would tell me what areas to look at that were weak points. at this point im planning on tearing it down this summer in the meantime if it ever snows again in the snowies im planning on breaking in my new 2015 xm i bought on saturday to replace my dead xp. thanks

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Base gasket could've failed. As its running its pushing coolant into the reservoir and burning what it can. Then when the engine is off it is no longer under pressure and dumps what's left for coolant into the engine cases. I'm sure it was pushing some out the overflow too that is plumbed out the right shock tower.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
Was riding my 07 XRS ( 800R ) about 4 years ago and had a similar problem. Put out a ton of white smoke and died. Turned out the lower piston skirt broke off on the PTO side and the conecting rod pushed it down throught the bottom of the case into the coolant passage.Fred

Premium Features