• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP Airbox: stay or go?

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
I am sure you have read the 100's of threads on the pros/cons of pods. They always flow more air, save weight, free up space. But, even with prefilters they seem to get saturated with snow or water. Not to mention the classic inconsistent air temperature. They have there application but typically in revy they can be a pain. For some reason they seem to work well on the old RT's. Usually it boils down to, the air box is not great and seems to be semi-restrictive but is more consistent then pods....shrug

Sounds to me like Al is sniffing down the right path. You would think more people would have tried the dyno without the airbox to see if there was truely some big gains. I wonder if any others have just tried a 800R or BB without any electronic crap to see it if wakes up?

Better yet, sell it an be our guinea pig for the T-Doo r/d.:beer;

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Talking with Capt. Jack this morning (Extreme Machines, Sylvan Lake) and we got to BS'in about my power problems last year. He said he's had SEVERAL come through his door acting exactly the same....big bores and stockers. The symptoms he described were exactly what I was dealing with last year...big bore ran fine, seemed okaaaaaayyyy, but never really pulled over 8000 and never outran a stocker. What he ended up doing was jetting down...then down some more....then down to 380's (!!!) and then the thing started to run! This is at 2800' elev. So he re-jetted back up to 480's (stock) and pulled the lower airbox off the carbs. PRESTO! Off the rev limiter! Add weight or 2 clicker positions right now. SO they went to pods. Since doing this to several sleds, the owners haven't been happier. Maybe Danno will chime in here in case I'm missing anything.

Which brings me to the question: anyone else remove the airbox and get gains? Losses? What's the poop here?
Hay dave, my buddy had his 860 sled down there and they tried the pods on it re jet to 380 and extream machines said it was better, my buddy picked it up and made a trip to the mountains and it was no better wouldn't rev pass 8000, he took it to my place and we played with it all day, no luck still wouldn't go past 8000, we played with jets and eventually we put bigger pilots in it and presto banging off the rev limiter at the end he was on clicker 1 sled did pull harder and sounded good but it still felt like there was no difference between my stock sled and his. I is should also mention I ended up going back to the stock air box, I could feel the difference even when the sled was running bad that it worked better with the stock box.

Last edited:
Cool...hopefully I won't need to...but thanks. This thread is just "hypothetical" after talking to Danno last week. I'm hoping my sled is sorted out. I found out some smart guy made a nice clean custom bracket to hold the front of his sled jack....and now he can't get his airbox off...hahahaha....I'm such a dolt sometimes. Easy fix though....
Dave, sounds like BJ has you sorted...just offering a local "donor" if it boils down to shoddy doo electrics this time...Danno nailed the jetting vs DPM as Al mentioned...you old race car guys are fart smellers.
We seen the doo electrics on one machine early last year give problems. You know the drill...4 feet of fresh, buddies sled doesn't work, swap parts until it does, then try and get them back...had to kick the smile off his face to get the parts back on mine (LMAO) let him suffer the rest of the day...then convince Turps what was wrong.

I Should have mentioned it sooner but not a popular "solution" on these forums. I should look "outside of the screen" (LOL) when reading some of this crap. Good luck with the BJ big bore with "porting" fix.

Last edited:
D
Apr 8, 2008
Hay dave, my buddy had his 860 sled down there and they tried the pods on it re jet to 380 and extream machines said it was better, my buddy picked it up and made a trip to the mountains and it was no better wouldn't rev pass 8000, he took it to my place and we played with it all day, no luck still wouldn't go past 8000, we played with jets and eventually we put bigger pilots in it and presto banging off the rev limiter at the end he was on clicker 1 sled did pull harder and sounded good but it still felt like there was no difference between my stock sled and his. I is should also mention I ended up going back to the stock air box, I could feel the difference even when the sled was running bad that it worked better with the stock box.

That's one of the strangest things I've heard. The pilot jet is for the idle circuit and does virtually nothing past 1/4 throttle never mind at WOT. The main jet controls your WOT so obviously Dan was on right track but I have no idea why, or how the pilot could change WOT but the main jet and airbox didn't. A buddy of mine had an 860 kit done at a shop(won't say where) and it never ran right out of the chute. He took it to a few shops. Even Specialty had a crack at it but no luck, still wouldn't rev or pull. He took it to Extreme Machines and after a couple of days, some jetting a set of pods it was on clicker 2 and right at the limiter. It pulled alot better too but still wasn't much ahead of a stocker but I've not seen too many that run away from a stocker by much anyway. Long story short, my buddy fought with it for a year and 3 different shops and Dan was the guy that finally fixed it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
That's one of the strangest things I've heard. The pilot jet is for the idle circuit and does virtually nothing past 1/4 throttle never mind at WOT. The main jet controls your WOT so obviously Dan was on right track but I have no idea why, or how the pilot could change WOT but the main jet and airbox didn't. A buddy of mine had an 860 kit done at a shop(won't say where) and it never ran right out of the chute. He took it to a few shops. Even Specialty had a crack at it but no luck, still wouldn't rev or pull. He took it to Extreme Machines and after a couple of days, some jetting a set of pods it was on clicker 2 and right at the limiter. It pulled alot better too but still wasn't much ahead of a stocker but I've not seen too many that run away from a stocker by much anyway. Long story short, my buddy fought with it for a year and 3 different shops and Dan was the guy that finally fixed it.

That's the thing the problem wasn't WOT In a 1/4 mile run across the field if I feathered the throttle between 1/2 to 3/4 the engine would hit 8400 but would not maintain it if the throttle would move from the "Sweet spot" and went to the bar it would drop to 8000 and the engine would have a drone to it instead of the crisp sound, so my first try was to veryfy if the raves were working, and they did than just for kicks changed the pilot jet from a 17.5 stock to a 20, and it would bang off the rev limiter it, I dunno was a shot in the dark alot of shops have looked at my buddies 860 at least it revs to the limiter now with the stock air box installed, is it better than a stocker i would have to say not by much.
My own opinion is I think it should work alot better and the porting job is done pourly, I'm just sharing my exprience wrenching on that 860 and not trying to start a fight.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I have dynoed my 860 with the stock box, bondi box, modified stock box...theres wasnt 3 hp from the best to worst with the same jet size...

In the field the modified box (2 2" flow rites on back of box) ran better than then stock...same with the bondi box...still pulled rpm with all 3 boxs...the mod/bondi was worth about 100 rpm...when I jetted the stock box down 1 size the same 100 rpm showed up...

If you have a rejet to 380 for any reason your DPM isnt working...hence the rich poor performing droneing low rpm...better rpm/performance @ 3/4 throttle proves the mains were to big or the DPM not leaning motor out...the 2009's do have a DPM plug update...

Cant answer why a PJ change did anything but clean up idle/low speed...BJ

Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB
I use pods (Timbersled kit) on my 09 Summit. I hated that POS stock foam and prefilter, it fit like crap and my first ride needed to wipe off the ice and snow enough that I pushed it in accidentally. Sure enough I find pine needles in my inner air box. ( I know it's half my fault) I can't see why they need to make the upper air box the size and weight of a suitcase. Anyway the immediate benefits are that in down hill powder runs the stock inlet is permanently covered - useless and bogging. With kit venting by your left knee and one above the gauges it doesn't bog out 5% of what it did. That's why pods are good - cause the stock intake it too low in the snow and restrictive. (I also put vents on the other side panel so there's always cool air coming in somewhere.

C

canucklehead

Aug 30, 2002
Southern AB
???

For the guys who have gone to pods... did you pull the upper airbox also? If so, did you notice any lost strength in the whole console area? It seems to me like that whole conglomeration of an airbox is part of the integrity of all of the plastic.

D

doowhite

Jan 11, 2008
Victor ID
Just go with the Timbersled kit. Or build your own support for the gauge pod. I like pods. Warm air is still better than no air IMO.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I found mine in pieces rattling around inside the airbox last year.
Were they the snap in ones or the other rubber grommet type? And did you put them in the back of the airbox facing the seat?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Were they the snap in ones or the other rubber grommet type? And did you put them in the back of the airbox facing the seat?

never use the plastic snap in ones on your air box...the rubber grommet ones are the ticket...

FYI- adding 2 2" rubber grommet flow rites to the back of air box = the advantage of pods...and there only $40 a pr...BJ

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
FYI guys. we are getting push back from our dealers out west that if we have any modifications to the air box BRP will NOT warranty burn downs. Apparently they are saying that water is being injested into the motors unless you have the 2009 diaper, and its washing the lube off the cylinder walls, which is causing premature engine failure. They are requesting our dealers send pictures of the sleds, pistons, etc and that adding any sort of intake will be grounds of no engine warranty coverage!? Anyone else hear about this?

Does the SLP intake add any airflow? BJ, have you tested it?

M
Nov 27, 2007
I have a ported lower air box on my 08 x and I burnt down the top end last season at 1400mi. I was wondering if they would give me any trouble with the warranty because of air box mod but my dealer never even blinked when i told him about it. I don't doubt that skidoo would use that as an excuse to get out of warranty coverage though.

Build us a powder sled that can go through powder and we will put away the dremmel....Maybe?

Premium Features