• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Worth updating a 2014 137" MH?

B
Feb 28, 2011
I picked up a 2014 Mountain Horse on a 2004 KTM 525 a while back and have just gotten around to using it. It's all decked out, Rekluse, pegs, heated bars, engine wrap, ski, and shocks. Someone built it for snowbiking then parked it in a shed. The set up has like 10 hours on it max, but I've already blown a jackshaft bearing. I'm an old dirtbiker so I have been jumping off everything which I assume is hammering those bearings. I read there used to be a bearing upgrade kit, but now that Polaris owns TImbersled that's not an option. I can buy all the parts individually for like $500 which is't too bad if it's worth upgrading. That is if I don't replace the jackshaft, which some have said will also break. That adds like another $500 for all the brake stuff.

So my question is, is a 2014 worth dealing with? Will the bearing upgrade fix the load issue? or will I continue to have blown bearings/broken jackshafts with this model?

Obviously a new model , something FI, would be preferred, but I don't use it too often but don't want a lemon for the few days I do use it.

Thanks

M
Jan 14, 2004
Refresh the bearings with SKF bearings, ride it and change the bearings usually once a season, it'll be fine for what you are describing

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
A couple of rides a year, probably leave as is.

Ride a long ways from the truck, more a safety issue to upgrade. If you upgrade more bearing to replace no quite as often.
If the kit has time on it, then the delayed maintenance means the shafts will go before long.
If you could search for old threads on this issue back in the day there were lots of posts on this common mod. Essentially shafts and sprockets and bearing. The brake can be used as is with a slight modification and a spacer.

Up until the ARO, no handling difference with newer kits.............except, buy an ARO ski thats the first place to spend $500.

Last edited:
D
Feb 16, 2009
Replace the bearings. There a very common size 6205 good quality bearing a can be had at around $5 each. And should hold up for a couple seasons of moderate use. I’d pull the seals and pack them with grease before pressing them in.

B
Feb 28, 2011
Cool. That's good to hear. I talked to my NAPA guy and SKF makes a 6205 2RSJ bearing which is a throwout bearing for a dodge caravan but is designed to handle a heavier load. So I'm putting that in. Twice the cost but we'll see. Thanks.

B
Feb 28, 2011
Last little update. Tore into it today and there were a bunch of broken ball bearings in the bottom of the chain case. So I'm guessing stress. The bearings must have been original as they were the grease type. Not to say that there couldn't have been some rust in there which weakened things.

Total pain. At least 6 hours including dealing with getting the broken bering race out. Seems crazy to me that they are still just doing the double bearing thing as a fix.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Last little update. Tore into it today and there were a bunch of broken ball bearings in the bottom of the chain case. So I'm guessing stress. The bearings must have been original as they were the grease type. Not to say that there couldn't have been some rust in there which weakened things.

Total pain. At least 6 hours including dealing with getting the broken bering race out. Seems crazy to me that they are still just doing the double bearing thing as a fix.

Welcome to snow biking. Newer bikes and newer kits mean less work. Still... tons of time in the garage over the winter. If I bought a new sled I could probably leave it in the back of my truck all winter. Small price to pay in my opinion.

D
Feb 16, 2009
Yep it takes a little bit of work, double bearings are a true fix. They still wear over time though. Single bearings are fine if you keep an eye on them, they went back to single row bearings on the 2020 Riot.

Premium Features