• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Worth extending?

N
Mar 13, 2011
Hi guys and gals,

I have a 2000 RMK 700 136". I have had it 3 years. It has about 800mi on it (I bought if off a friend who didnt ride it). It's pretty much stock, except for boost bottle, and I added 8" risers plus pivot block (so my post should snap).

I guess my question is, is it worth dumping money into to make it a 151", or should I just keep an eye out for a 151" ditch banger, boondocker. I don't ride a bunch (obviously I only put 100-150mi on in 3 years) but its in great shape.

Also, I'd rather buy some stock 151" rails off a newer machine, than extend. If possible (thinking 01 151" 800), and clutch kit it.

What's your thoughts?

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
It all depends on you and whether or not you think you need it. You ride so little it may not be worth it. But you can find rails around and get a track for not too much money(500 or so). The sled will pull the track but i would think about throwing a pipe on to pull the extra track and you should be able to go anywhere you want after that but it all depends on if you think spending a grand on your sled or not is a good investment or a waste of money. I would do it if you are mainly mountain riding but if you are trail riding leave it alone.

N
Mar 13, 2011
I don't ride trail. We don't really have many here. Mostly power lines (as they clear deadfall in summer) and ditches. I'm gonna head to the mountains atleast once this year, but even in the 3'+ in the ditches, I think more would help. I guess if it was a grand that's ok. As I don't see me able to sell my existing stuff (maybe track, 136x2)

Dec 3, 2007
Extend it

A few years ago I long tracked my Ski-doo from 144 x 2 x 15 to 151 by doing a skid relocate- best thing I ever did to that sled. I pondered what to do with the 144 track off the skid-doo. Since at that time both Polaris and Ski-doo used the same pitch I decided to throw it on my 2001 500 RMK with an extension. A lot of people said I would need to re-gear and the it would be a dog. Never did. Some minor clutching and that little sled just rips. Top speed on hard pack is 78mph. It is relatively light and is fun to ride. It doesn't have the power to do a big climb- but for boon-docking in the pow it works very well. I sold the old track for a couple hundred, so total cost to long track both sleds was about $500 bucks. I ride almost all deep pow, so no opinion of trail issues. Good luck.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
PM Wildchild on here, for about $125 (I really can't quote prices for the man) he will build you a beautiful set of rail extensions. I have had him make me several sets over the years, I usually go for the two 8" inner wheel version and he builds a nice axel also. Find a stock tunnel extension from an '01 151" (I found one for $40 awhile back in the swapmeet) and pick up a stock 2"x151" track. I did all this to a '98 700 back when and it was money well spent. IMHO the 151" is the perfect track for the 700's. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
PM Wildchild on here, for about $125 (I really can't quote prices for the man) he will build you a beautiful set of rail extensions. I have had him make me several sets over the years, I usually go for the two 8" inner wheel version and he builds a nice axel also. Find a stock tunnel extension from an '01 151" (I found one for $40 awhile back in the swapmeet) and pick up a stock 2"x151" track. I did all this to a '98 700 back when and it was money well spent. IMHO the 151" is the perfect track for the 700's. I'd do it again in a hertbeat.

Contact wildchild when u snap your steering post, he makes the strongest ones available.

OCDsledder

Lifetime Membership
Apr 23, 2003
Cheyenne WY
Extend it

I extended a 2000 RMK 800 from 144" to 156". I loved it. I added one tooth to the bottom gear and didn't loose any top end to speak of.
I do have all of the stock 144" tunel pieces, bumper,cargo rack and tail light if your interested.

Premium Features