• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

will a m8 motor fit in a m6 chassis?

I have a 2005 m6 that I feel will be underpowered out in the steep and deep, and by the time I put the money into a 700 top end I could buy a used 800 motor. Just wondering if this is a bolt right in or is there some fabbing involved? If it bolts in what years will fit? Thanks

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
No it won't work,totally different motor mounts.Big Block or a new sled...
You could put a m7 in it and big block to a 800 or even a 925

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Sorry I can't get any pics we just moved and it's stowed away until snow. I pretty much built the sled and collected parts over a year. I put in a complete 09 800 from a wrecked sled also the wiring harness and ECU from an 09. I used the original pto side mount and added an extra brace, found the front mount used that bolts to the motor and clamps around the sway bar tube. On the mag side I put on a couple 1/4" aluminum plates and sandwiched them on the brace. Here is a pic of that I found. I wouldn't say it's very cheap but if you have the time to hunt around for parts it's not too bad. Any other questions let me know.

image.jpg

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Something to think about is that if you want it to be a STOCK pull and go sled, you'll need to buy electrical things as well. ECU's are not cheap not to mention either all new wiring harness or a major pain in the a$$ trying to use your m6 harness (which I wouldn't attempt). If you're not afraid of a ”modded” motor, just big bore or turbo the m6 and it will save you a LOT of work. You don't have to change it to a m7 and then big bore. Cutler has a 800 or a 1000 big bore that will fit on the m6 bottom end (and I'm sure there are others), or there are turbo kits out there.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
Something to think about is that if you want it to be a STOCK pull and go sled, you'll need to buy electrical things as well. ECU's are not cheap not to mention either all new wiring harness or a major pain in the a$$ trying to use your m6 harness (which I wouldn't attempt). If you're not afraid of a ”modded” motor, just big bore or turbo the m6 and it will save you a LOT of work. You don't have to change it to a m7 and then big bore. Cutler has a 800 or a 1000 big bore that will fit on the m6 bottom end (and I'm sure there are others), or there are turbo kits out there.

Exactly I went back and forth on big bore vs stock 800. I had the time so I went stock 800.

scootdog

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2011
SF Bay Area Now, Tahoe soon
I'm running a RKT m7 BB runs great on stock pipe no controller. Pretty much bolt on and pull and go. I have a speedwerx pipe I might try this year but then I need a fuel controller.

I'm pretty sure m6 has same bottom end, if you check the swapmeet you'll find a used BB kit sooner or later. Just food for thought. BB might be easier then stuffing a 800 in there.

Found this in the swapmeet. 900 BB
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354914

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I found this motor with a couple hundred miles on it for $1,000 complete.

Not bad, now go find out how much all the electrical is going to run ya. Cat wants $1500 for a ecu. I have no idea what the CCU will cost ya, plus a full wiring harness. I am sure you can find all these parts used, if you are patient. Still a used ECU is going to be $500 range.

Premium Features