• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Makes the Best Retractable and/or Sled Wheels for Ski's?

R
Nov 30, 2019
I have two four stroke sleds and am looking for the best retractable wheels or sled wheels (clamp on type) for ski's for loading and unloading in trailers, crossing pavement, garage use, etc.. I'd like your opinion/experience of what's the best out there that are both user friendly and heavy duty? Thanks, Ray

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
There is a company that makes what looks like a solid set that bolts on. I will try to find more info. U lift the ski and flip the wheel down, then when u want it up, just tip the sled up on its side while riding and it flips up .

Sent it

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Here ya go. Pretty slick setup. Awesome for trail sleds. I could see issues with deep snow, off trail performance.

Sent it

R
Nov 30, 2019
Those really look well built..... I checked out the price which would be around $600.00 for a couple sleds. :eek: Wonder if they can handle the weight of four strokes? Thanks again.... Great Find!! :)

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Thanks for your input...... They do look nice but, will they handle the weight of four strokes? Thanks again. ?
Yes they work on 4 strokes. They have been used and tested on all sleds. Lifetime Warranty on all Caliber Products too.

R
Nov 30, 2019
I checked with Kimpex by email and they stated that they do have the Rouski Gen 3's for my AC 2010 Z1 1100 Turbo LXR but, they don't have anything available for my AC 2006 T660 Turbo Touring LE. They do however have Gen 1's for the 2007 LE. I cross referenced skis between both years and they are different.
Now, I'm leaning towards something like the Caliber Sled Wheels. If I go that route, I may be able to use one set between both sleds. Only issue I may have with that idea is there is a 1" difference between ski widths at the spindle. Both sleds are the exact same in regards to the measurement from the base of the spindle to the tip of the skis. I had a set of Sure Grip Dollies HERE for several years but, are a real P.I.A. to put in place on my four strokes. I have to litterly kick them into place after lifting the ski as much as I can due to the weight of the sleds. I'm sure they would be just fine for 2 strokes. Once in place, they work great. Trailer loading/tile protection, cement driveway/parking lots and pole barn maneuverability is mainly what I'm after. Back to the drawing board...... ??

R
Nov 30, 2019
Yes they work on 4 strokes. They have been used and tested on all sleds. Lifetime Warranty on all Caliber Products too.
Thanks..... I have a couple questions if I may;
1) Do I have to litterly lift the front end high enough to slip the sled wheels in place under the spindle? I have an older set of Sure Grip Dollies (pic below) that I have to kick into place while lifting the front of the ski as much as I can. As you know, 4 stroke turbo's are heavier than hell.
2) The width of the skis on my two four strokes have a 1" difference between them under the spindle. One sled is 5" with the other being 6". Both are 25" from the spindle to the tip of the ski's. Can I use one set of Sled Wheels for trailer loading for both without having to make adjustments?
Thank again, appreciate your input. Ray ??

Dollies.jpg

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
No you don't have to lift the sled much with the caliber type sled wheels. They work on a leverage principle and lift the sled when you push down on the handle to clip it to the ski loop.

R
Nov 30, 2019
No you don't have to lift the sled much with the caliber type sled wheels. They work on a leverage principle and lift the sled when you push down on the handle to clip it to the ski loop.
Thanks for your input...... You feel that there will be enough leverage to lift these heavy four strokes without bending/breaking the ski wheels handle? That would certainly sell me on these in a heartbeat. With those dollies I have to kick them in approx 3" to 4" to get them under the spindle while pulling up the ski loop. I'm sure 2 strokes would be more than simple enough to useover the four's. I sincerely appreciate your input. Thanks again. ??

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
I have the caliber ski wheels, and used them on my Nytro XTX, no lifting required, and they worked great. I did have Slydog Powderhound skis on it though.

R
Nov 30, 2019
I have the caliber ski wheels, and used them on my Nytro XTX, no lifting required, and they worked great. I did have Slydog Powderhound skis on it though.
Thank you..... Nice sled! As you know, lifting these 4 strokes are a real pain. Great to hear that these are working out and are strong enough for them. Thanks again, appreciate your input. Ray ??

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Thanks..... I have a couple questions if I may;
1) Do I have to litterly lift the front end high enough to slip the sled wheels in place under the spindle? I have an older set of Sure Grip Dollies (pic below) that I have to kick into place while lifting the front of the ski as much as I can. As you know, 4 stroke turbo's are heavier than hell.
2) The width of the skis on my two four strokes have a 1" difference between them under the spindle. One sled is 5" with the other being 6". Both are 25" from the spindle to the tip of the ski's. Can I use one set of Sled Wheels for trailer loading for both without having to make adjustments?
Thank again, appreciate your input. Ray ??

View attachment 361736
Sometimes with some skis you need to lift up a littel bit on the ski loop just to slide the sled wheels back far enough. ONce they are slid back you just push down on the arm and it does the lifting for you.

You would just set them up pretty tight to the sides on the 6" wide ski and then they should be just fine with the 5" as well.

R
Nov 30, 2019
Sometimes with some skis you need to lift up a littel bit on the ski loop just to slide the sled wheels back far enough. ONce they are slid back you just push down on the arm and it does the lifting for you.

You would just set them up pretty tight to the sides on the 6" wide ski and then they should be just fine with the 5" as well.
Thanks for your input...... I'd like to give them a try but, if they don't work out I would like to return them. Thanks again and have a great holiday. Ray ??

Premium Features