• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who Carrys a second avy pack canister with them?

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I do. Not because I think I will want to ride after being in a slide but because I have seen several bags go off accidentally. When that happens I don't want to have my day ended or be riding at risk the rest of the day.

This is why the New Motorfist Argo pack is so unique because the canisters for it are under a pound. Two canisters smaller than a 12 oz aluminum can between both. On top of that they only cost $50 so you can very easily pack an extra with you or at the very least have it in the truck to run grab. With some of the other packs in order to have a spare you would be paying an extra $200 and the size and weight of them would be uncomfortable to carry a spare with you all day every ride.

Definitely something to consider when shopping for packs and was ultimately a deciding factor for me.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
For the scenario where you deploy, are not caught, don't have a spare canister with you, but want protection for a sketchy-conditions ride back to the truck, maybe you could simply not deflate your deployed bags. In certain terrain, they could interfere with riding, but it's an option. Just leave them inflated for the ride back to the truck and deflate there. Doesn't help with the scenario of an accidental deployment where you want to ride the rest of the day, though.

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I bought a second cylinder for this season.

Two reasons:

1. I have seen a few accidental deployments from various causes

2. I do NOT want to be apprehensive about pulling that handle in what I may feel is not a "worthy" situation.

When you look at how short the good part of the riding season really is, and how precious riding time truly is, the last thing I want is the hassle of scrambling to refill a cylinder for me or anyone in my group, or a day (weekend?) of missed riding.

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
I've always carried 2. I've had one accidental deploy and seen others. If you ride in the mountains and think you can guarantee that you'll have a 100% safe route back to your truck after a deployment, I'm not sure you're paying attention. Certainly here in SW CO I wouldn't make that statement about any of the areas we ride. I'd hate to die because I didn't want to carry that extra 20 ounces or whatever.

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
I have two canisters, one is in the truck not in the pack. I do my best to not ride in avy prone areas to begin with. If conditions warrant slides, I am not in those areas, or at least do not plan on being...which covers a majority of the season but I don't want to rely on an avy pack to save my life.

Premium Features