• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Where shoud I move to in WA?

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
I am relocating to WA.....the only thing on my mind is sled skiing. So the question is:

If you could move anywhere in WA to position yourself for the best sled skiing, where would it be?

I work remotely, so where I live does not matter as it relates to my location.

Please provide details to support reasoning....pictures are always extra pieces of flare.

Thank you!

Dave

R

RidnHigh

Dec 2, 2007
Spokane Washington
Not really sure what makes sled skiing good, as I am just a sledder, but I have lived and still live within 20 minutes of spokane wa. I grew up there and now i live across the border in Coeur d'Alene Idaho. Like i said though, only twenty minutes East. I will never move anywhere else but in this local area and have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed all fifty states and a couple different countries. As far as the economy goes, i know your job is remote so it doesnt really play as much on you, but for the most part Spokane seems to be a couple months behind the major curves of the United States. Not that its a bad thing, but definitely good to know. There is a major international airport here so travel is extrememly easy. Several local attractions that are specific to our area and four seasons most of the time :) As for snow, which is the reason i like it most is that within six hours of travel you have almost all the top destinations in the west to ride. Revelstoke, McCall, Baker, Castlegar, Sicamous, Salmo Creston, the Crazies in MT, Harts Pass, Snoqualamie, Trestle Creek, Troy MT, and the Stewarts. Within those areas most of them are reasonable about 2 hours, but you can even drive pretty reasonable to Cooke City, and Jackson Hole or ALpine WY too. Besides the great fall, winter, and spring riding we get up here, the summers are amazing as well. Local school systems seem to be recognized pretty fairly and there are also many local colleges. Hope this helps out...if you have any questions PM and i can try and round up some pictures for you. PS There are also 5 ski resorts within 90 minutes of downtown spokane.

Top locations I'd say;

Bellingham area Big Mtns
Sedro-Woolley
Anywhere between Cle Elum and Leavenworth area Big Mtns
Spokane area
Mazama to Twisp or the Methow Big Mtns
Omak
North Bend
Gold Bar/Sultan

Personally I'd take the Bellingham/baker area, Mazama, or Cle Elum. Bellingham and Mazama areas are great cause they give you access to Canada somewhat quickly which is where the real sled skiing is. Cle Elum is great cause it puts you close to Snoqualmie and more importantly the central-east cascades which are full of great sled access big mtns. It also puts you decently close to the Blewett pass, Stevens pass and associated riding areas yet it's centrally located in the state and you have quick access to seattle and travel to other regions via I-90.

I spose a big question here is what kind of sled skiing are you interested in, more of a big vertical kind of guy or more of a micro exploit the heck out of small zones and features?

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
Like kartoriom said. Baker area. Personally if ALL I cared about was sled shred then I'd be living in glacier or even on the other side of the mountain sedro Woolley. I guess it depends on your priorities but if sled ski is it, that's the place.

Edit: if you work remotely I not sure if there is Internet in glacier.

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
All - This is huge, thank you for all your input. I don't mind tossing the sleds on a trailer and taking a drive to a location. Would like to keep it under an hour though.

Also, definitely looking to be on the west side of the Cascades (west of pacific divide).

As it relates to terrain, I love big mtns and big lines.....but definitely looking to have terrain that has good approaches for sleds, for bump ups to the top. Of course this relates to your actual sled and ability, but I know you get the idea. Leaving those hike in lines for bigger initiatives and multi-day serious expeditions...which I don't mind driving to.

If possible, higher elevation would be nice, this would mitigate the tree factor a little. If any of you have ever snowmobiled in Whitefish, that mountain has thick trees, where you are just caked in there. Definitely not looking to be in an area where getting above tree line is an issue....or where the tree line never ends and goes to the summit.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
North Bend, Gold Bar/Sultan/Monroe, Sedro Woolly, Bellingham are probably your top options. Much further south of North Bend and you're just making your travel times too high to all the best spots.

Most places in Washington aren't spectacular for full bumps to the top of mountains, but I'm thinking the Baker area is probably the best. However, as you gain knowledge with each specific riding area you start to develop tricks and special routes to make things easier. Baker and the Stewarts probably offer the most and best alpine riding that is easily accessible from the west side.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Another vote for getting closer to the Baker area. I mostly ride Snoqualmie Pass out of convenience and I'm always way more hyped when I get to ride up North. We jokingly refer to Snoqualmie as @hittay pass, when riding the same 300ft vert runs in the rain you gotta be good humored.

T

tomassend

Nov 2, 2010
PNW
Rain on snoqualmie pass? Come on, that cannot happen that much.....or are you just saying that to keep people from the fruits?

I know WA gets tons of precip and rain is common in the low elevation areas....but did not think it would happen at the passes....

Can you provide more detail?

S
Aug 28, 2009
I love how you guys think it rains so much up here. I have ridden sleds all over the state and I'm telling you that this place has way more fresh snow ridding days than most others. i also have sled skied for years and if you want to be centrally located for sled skiing your best bet hands down for access, safe skiing and riding partners, low rents for homes, low property buys, more days of stable snow conditions is going to be cle elum.

Cle elum will provide you 1/2 day trips as well. Trail head at 0600, four runs in by 10 that are huge, and back to the desk at 1200

This of course is as long as you ski and tour.

cheers

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I am relocating to WA.....the only thing on my mind is sled skiing. So the question is:

If you could move anywhere in WA to position yourself for the best sled skiing, where would it be?

I work remotely, so where I live does not matter as it relates to my location.

Please provide details to support reasoning....pictures are always extra pieces of flare.

Thank you!

Dave
I,m moving to The Gorge,White Salmon WA, World class Windsurfing/Kiteboarding/Kayaking/Adams and St Helen has awesome singletrack and sledding although no sure how good the sledding is there yet,Perhaps others can chime in

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Rain on snoqualmie pass? Come on, that cannot happen that much.....or are you just saying that to keep people from the fruits?

I know WA gets tons of precip and rain is common in the low elevation areas....but did not think it would happen at the passes....

Can you provide more detail?

Snoqualmie pass is the lowest of all the passes. The freezing level is generally around the 2k - 3k mark, though it is routine for it to go above 3k. There are many times where snoqualmie pass is getting rain, but other passes are getting snow.

It isn't a problem once you get higher in elevation up in the mountains, but eventually you have to get down to the pass level.

I have been snowboarding at Crystal mountain and it has been pissing rain at the lower mountain. Once you get up higher, it turned to all snow and good conditions.

With the moderate weather we have hear, the snow levels can very from time to time.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
I love easton. 15 miles east of snoqualmie pass. That's where I wanna be when I move back. Just my opinion.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I lived on the east side and the sledding is sick, there is some skiing but I don't so can't say how good. But most of the good riding is in ID, I rode from trestle creek (north of sand point) to McCall ID, although it takes more than 1hr to get to any of them there is at least 8 good locations (lots of back road spots) and endless country to ride. Out there the trees are spaced and the branches start a bit higher and you can ride the heII out of the trees, Loved it.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Dear Dave,

If you're in that enviable position where you can afford to live wherever you want and you're set on Washington please consider politics in your decision.

If you're a conservative PLEASE move to Seattle/King County, especially if you own a business and make friends easily. Otherwise, please consider Eastern WA where your Birken-Vote will be nullified.

Best of luck in your search.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
sounds like you will want to live near mt baker. the terrain and size of riding area at baker will keep a smile on ur face all year!

Premium Features