• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's a good camera for taking snowmobiling photography?

S

SnowFlinger

Jan 9, 2008
Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone,

What's a good camera for taking snowmobiling photography?

This year is going to be a good one and I would like be able to capture some of the great rides on film. Last year I took about 600 pictures and few movies, but only a handful of them turned out good. Most of my posts here on SnowWest have been pictureless because of it.

I'm looking for a something I can un holster quickly, possibly use with gloves on, can use in cold temperatures, and survive getting a little damp. Also desire something high resolution for photo editing (zoom shots). Under $500 if possible.

Sure could use some advice from people with experience in winter action pictures. Attached is one example of the pictures my camera is taking. As you can see, the quality could be much better.

DriftBusten.jpg

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
I have a Canon PowerShot SD750 and absolutely love it. I think its around 7 megapixel, takes phenomenal pictures, large display screen and takes very good video.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage Alaska
I love photography!

Check out www.dpreview.com here you will find many ways to compare the latest cameras and read reviews on each of the cameras.

You will want Digital IS, make sure you compare the resolution, megapixels and your digital zoom.

One other thing to take into consideration is the battery life, buying a rechargeable batter or stocking up at costco on AA batteries as well. It adds up and is more of a pain then buying a camera that has a rechargeable battery life.

Hope this helps.

Y

yardfarmer

Jul 30, 2004
Sw Iowa
akmc800, what cannon powershot? I have a A520 and I would be lucky to get one of the three series pictures you posted. Do I have my camera set wrong or what. Thanks for the help.

S

SnowFlinger

Jan 9, 2008
Anchorage
www.myspace.com
Thanks for that one.

Check out the Olympus site. They have at least 5 different models that are shock proof, water resistant, and good down to -10.

That's what I'm looking 4 !. Must have missed it. Thanks. Can't wait for that dividend check :):):):beer;:face-icon-small-ton.

Shock proof....bonus. I can mount it on my bars for video and have it for quick draw. I'm wondering if you can glue a tripod mount on your helmet and have yourself a ride cam as well.:face-icon-small-ton

Hahaha, I can just see you riding with a tripod glued to your helmet:):eek:
I would like to get good/cheaper digital video camera that I can have in my backpack, with remote control to switch it on/off and with lens (eye) that attaches to a helmet.
Any recommendation?

Premium Features