• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What to bring, what to leave at the truck?

K

KittinsRtasTY

Jan 6, 2014
Gillette WY
I am a newer rider and don't have all the essential gear yet. I am curious to know what you guys like to take out on the trail for a day of riding? What do you like to keep on your back and what gets packed on the sled? I read one real good post that focused on winter survival and fire starting equipment. I am also curious what you bring to help with stuck or broken sleds?

P

Poo727

Jan 14, 2014
Kansas/Krem
I am a newer rider and don't have all the essential gear yet. I am curious to know what you guys like to take out on the trail for a day of riding? What do you like to keep on your back and what gets packed on the sled? I read one real good post that focused on winter survival and fire starting equipment. I am also curious what you bring to help with stuck or broken sleds?
Based on the other post you referenced, I will only list the items I carry that are in addition to the basic survival gear;

In my pack (on my Back) I carry the following;
1. Spare goggles and lens
2. food (I'm a fat guy so this is a must)
3. spare light weight gloves
4. GPS AND
5. GPS Radio
6. Rope (light weight but strong enough to tow a sled etc. Dock ropes for boating work well)
7. Maps
8. Matches and Fire Starter
9. Batteries
10. Shovel w/saw
11. Cell Phone
Maybe a few other items but you get the point

On my sled I carry the following
1. Snobungy
2. Basic tool kit
3. Spare mixed fuel (sometimes)
4. Maps
5. Plugs
6. Lens cleaner and wipes

Sounds like a lot of weight, and it is, but Id sure rather have it then not if something was to happen.

P

Poo727

Jan 14, 2014
Kansas/Krem
Based on the other post you referenced, I will only list the items I carry that are in addition to the basic survival gear;

In my pack (on my Back) I carry the following;
1. Spare goggles and lens
2. food (I'm a fat guy so this is a must)
3. spare light weight gloves
4. GPS AND
5. GPS Radio
6. Rope (light weight but strong enough to tow a sled etc. Dock ropes for boating work well)
7. Maps
8. Matches and Fire Starter
9. Batteries
10. Shovel w/saw
11. Cell Phone
Maybe a few other items but you get the point

On my sled I carry the following
1. Snobungy
2. Basic tool kit
3. Spare mixed fuel (sometimes)
4. Maps
5. Plugs
6. Lens cleaner and wipes

Sounds like a lot of weight, and it is, but Id sure rather have it then not if something was to happen.
I also carry a sno jack at times

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
#1 rule of snowmobiling: no matter how much you pack and bring, what you end up needing will always be back at the truck.

#2 beacon, shovel, probe.

#3 helmet and boots help, id recommend some good quality clothing too. Klim is the best.

#4 always bring your sense of adventure and plan for the worst. Have fun!

K

KittinsRtasTY

Jan 6, 2014
Gillette WY
That helps a lot, thanks.

I think I got most of that stuff in my pack. I have been thinking about getting a beacon and/or avy pack too. And I think the jack would be a real good piece of equipment for me!

Last edited:
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
That helps a lot, thanks.

I think I got most of that stuff in my pack. I have been thinking about getting a beacon and/or avy pack too. And I think the jack would be a real good piece of equipment for me!

Beacons won't do much good if only one person in the group has one. I've never needed it, but I broke down and bought an avy pack this year.
As far as what to carry, shovel, probe, saw, food, and basic first aid in pack. Everything else on the sled for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Depends what you're riding, where you're riding and the conditions when you're riding.
If you're new to sleds and mountains first please go with someone, preferably more experienced. Just little tricks will help you out of a lot or issues or stucks.
The jack seems like a good idea if you're on a Yami or by yourself. @ss end of a sled gets heavy on a good powder day. Never bought one but there have been select days I wish I had.
Tools/parts etc are somewhat sled specific and you learn more about what you need for your sled the more you ride and wrench on it.
There are a bunch of lists on here but basic stuff besides riding gear, a few ways to start a fire. I prefer road flares. Burn hot for 30 min regardless of conditions.
For rope I only carry mule tape. Light strong pack able.
Good tie wire, duct tape, zip ties from small to industrial and a hand axe(hammer), saw, knife and leatherman will fix a lot of stuff.
Spare parts depend on the sled but minimum, a belt and plugs.
I carry a ton of stuff and most all has been used at some point in time. Bette to have more arrows in your quiver than you need.
Do a bunch of reading. Has to be 20 "what do I need" threads with everything from a 5th of Jack to a Snap on tool box. Make a list and think about the possible uses.

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Take with you1

2 sets of car keys in different places, in case you loose one. Credit card for gas away from trailer, not ALWAYS needed but I needed it twice.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Many useful thing mentioned so far I always carry at least 2 different ways to start a fire and a couple different ways to cut wood. A hand chain saw a fold out saw and a hatchet. I once had a fold out saw snap on me.
A Sat phone
Spot or something similar.
I sucks finding out that you are not prepared to spend some time on the mountain when it to late!

Premium Features