• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What oil do you run?

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Ordered my first Arctic Cat and am coming from Polaris. I have always run Ams Oil in my sleds as it was clean and I noticed my exhaust values were in much better shape using it.

What oil does everyone like? I am not opposed to using something new or just using Arctic Cat oil.
I ride in Montana so it’s not the extreme weather that lots of Canada gets.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
the Cat CTEC oil was designed to run in that engine and until someone can prove them wrong it is what i will continue to run. You can buy a 2.5 gallon bottle from country cat for 110$ and that should last you a season.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Thanks. I believe many of the cat guys do the same thing. That is a good price as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

runner

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Canada
I would think the engine itself would be fine with most any oil but the big thing is the electronic oil pump is designed for the viscosity of the Cat oil and any change to that could affect flow rates.

B

bmiller

Nov 26, 2007
stuck in the flats of ND
I run klotz in my 2014 doo. 2500 care free miles. I have never cleaned the eaves. On my 09 powered used klotz and valves were very clean. Not sure if it is ok for 850, but doo oil burns my eyes after half a day of ride.

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
I have been using the Ctec oil in my 19 Alpha One too but I recently came across this Amsoil Interceptor cold pour test and one of the oils they went up against is Arctic Cat Ctech oil. I get the talk about a thin weight oil but if the oil is cold and therefore thicker then Interceptor then where is the argument? Take a look at this video, it's only 1.5 minutes long. It has got me thinking for sure about trying Interceptor. I am in no way endorsing or am affiliated with Amsoil. I would like to see the same test done at +30 Degrees F and at 0 Degrees F.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
I have been using the Ctec oil in my 19 Alpha One too but I recently came across this Amsoil Interceptor cold pour test and one of the oils they went up against is Arctic Cat Ctech oil. I get the talk about a thin weight oil but if the oil is cold and therefore thicker then Interceptor then where is the argument? Take a look at this video, it's only 1.5 minutes long. It has got me thinking for sure about trying Interceptor. I am in no way endorsing or am affiliated with Amsoil. I would like to see the same test done at +30 Degrees F and at 0 Degrees F.

The viscosity of Ctec 2 is 26, the viscosity of Interceptor is 29.9. Pour point is the temp just below flowability but doesn't define the how effective the oil above that temp.

Quoted from article below": "individual engines differ widely in their oil distribution systems design, which strongly affects their low-tcmperature performance"
Also " "pumping characteristics that are satisfactory in one engine may not be suitable for another"

My recommendation is stay with CTEC2.

Checkout this paper on the subject:

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
The viscosity of Ctec 2 is 26, the viscosity of Interceptor is 29.9. Pour point is the temp just below flowability but doesn't define the how effective the oil above that temp.

Quoted from article below": "individual engines differ widely in their oil distribution systems design, which strongly affects their low-tcmperature performance"
Also " "pumping characteristics that are satisfactory in one engine may not be suitable for another"

My recommendation is stay with CTEC2.

Checkout this paper on the subject:

Its a good article, but that's from 1990 and oil and additives have come a LONG WAYS.

In no way would running amsoil be wrong, its a superior oil no doubt as amsoil is one of the only brands that have a true rated synthetic above and beyond other synthetics.I can't remember what the rating is called for it, but if you buy amsoil I don't think there is anything else to compare it to and you can't go wrong at all. But it sure is pricey.

That said If the oil was a bit thinner colder you know you'll likely "meter" more in but wouldn't be much.

But at the end of the day a decent branded synthetic 2 stroke oil is good and will more than do the job regardless of brand of sled or such, When my warranty is up I'll be on the shell advanced snow ultra (synthetic). If you didn't run the factory oil under warranty, don't be surprised if you are denied an engine.... they just want ways to not pay of course.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Warranty cannot be refused because you didn't run factory oil . Just has to meet there recommended standards as defined in there manual .
Can u show me the min standards from cat? I have not been able to find it. Not since 2018 ctec 800 ...

Sent it

R
Dec 28, 2007
Can u show me the min standards from cat? I have not been able to find it. Not since 2018 ctec 800 ...

Sent it
Strange , didn't specify in the manual. This subject has been talked about forever .
Amsoil sued ski doo and doo lost . Part of the Moss Magnusum act . The courts said that if you have to use the manufacturers oil they have to supply it for free to keep warranty . All the consumer has to do is use an oil with the same jaso certification as there recommended oil .
I use the ctek oil and it's not stated on jug or manual . It does say on the jug full synthetic.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Strange , didn't specify in the manual. This subject has been talked about forever .
Amsoil sued ski doo and doo lost . Part of the Moss Magnusum act . The courts said that if you have to use the manufacturers oil they have to supply it for free to keep warranty . All the consumer has to do is use an oil with the same jaso certification as there recommended oil .
I use the ctek oil and it's not stated on jug or manual . It does say on the jug full synthetic.

That is the problem, how can one justify "their oil" when cat won't disclose the JASO specs.

Sent it

R
Dec 28, 2007
That is the problem, how can one justify "their oil" when cat won't disclose the JASO specs.

Sent it
Read this .
Basically they can't deny warranty for use of other oil .

Premium Features