• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What A/F on Turbo M7?

J
Dec 3, 2007
OK, no responses on my post below, so i'll simplify:

What A/F is safe to run midrange RPM not on boost?
If my sled runs really good midrange at 15 - 16 A/F, and pretty poorly at 14, am I going to burn down?
What A/F is best to run on 10 lbs of boost?

Thanks!

============================================================
2005 M7 stock motor, BD turbo, BD box

At idle it only runs right reading A/F of about 15.5 -16, and if I fatten it up, it gets really blubbery. Once the clutch is engaged, runs 13.5-14 perfect until the M7 lean spot around 5500 RPM and then runs about 15.5-16 again. Then boost hits and it seems it doesnt matter what the A/F is, it just runs and pulls HARD. I run it about 11.5 under boost.

First question is, I can affect A/F with the BD box at idle, but it doesnt run right. Will running that lean at idle and before clutch engagement hurt anything? I've heard some people say you cant burn down at idle no matter how lean, while others have reported that they have.

Second question is, I cant tune that lean spot out of the mid range no matter what I do with the BD box. I can increase the 5000 rpm mid and high so much that it just blubbers and falls on its face, but if I get it to go 5500, it goes lean for a while. Anyone found a fix for that?

Third, My throttle response and "lag" are much less if I run 13.5 -14 A/F up to 5500 RPM, then it runs about 15.5-16 up to 6300 then boost really hits and in run 11.5. Is being that close to stoich (13.5 -14) bad at the lower RPM's? I don't care about fuel consumption or anything else, but it really makes the sled more rideable having crisp lower RPM response and running 12-13 A/F in that region makes it much more blubbery.

Fourth, What A/F is best under boost? I feel like i can go leaner, but the extra fuel makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and there's plenty of power.

WOW, long post with 3 long questions, anyone care to take a crack at it? I know Product tester would say buy a pure logic box and have him put a new fuel pump in and injectors in the throttle bodies, and believe me, i'm saving my pennies, but for now I need to make this boodocker run!

Last edited:
M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
i feel asleep twice reading that post. joking!!!!
i wouldnt worry too much about your a/f at idle. just make sure its not soo fat you start loading up and fouling plugs.
mid range is always the hardest to tune imo.my a/f bounces all over in the mid-range so i rely on my egts there.unfortunately i cant throw enough fuel at my mid to be happy w/ my egt/af #'s.so im in and out of the throttle a lot on the way up to ride.
on wot pulls, i like 11.7. its nice and safe, and power feels the same as running at 12.5
if you can get good reading on your a/f in the mid, id feel pretty good w/ 13 and under.your not loading the motor too much, so at 13 i think you would be plenty safe.

keep in mind i am NO expert, this is just what i have learned from last season.
also i tune conservative, so a lot of people w/ probably consider my #'s fat.

Premium Features