• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Waterproofing

C
Oct 22, 2013
western nebraska
I'm getting a few years on my fxr gear and it's starting to let water through. Wondered what others have used to restore the waterproofing qualities of their gear when this happens and how successfully it worked. I looked on Amazon and either nikwax or this restore x has the highest reviews. Anybody used these products before and do they work? Thanks for any input from your personal experiences.

t300

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2009
Manitoba
I've used the Nik wash and Nik waterproofing on my fxr pants. Both are the stuff you just use in the wash. It helps the pants for about 3 or 4 days then I have to do it again.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
You can buy the house hold spray can with a great smell at $4 a can.

Or you can buy Thompson waterproofing at $20 a gallon ... soak the fabric let it dry out for a while in the garage and works the same ....

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
I used Gear Aid ReviveX for my klim bibs that started to let water through the seat. It worked well for me. I don't have a good long term update for you though. After I used it, I rode probably 6 more times before I sold my sled. That being said, it's still holding up when on the sledding hill with the kids.

In the past I used the Nikwax products for my North Face GoreTex ski jacket. It never really did the job as well as I thought it should. It would let water through after just half a day.

I would almost second the idea of using thompsons waterseal, except that both nikwax and revivex are marketed to still allow the goretex fabric (or whatever brand you have) to continue to breathe. The thompson waterseal product will seal it up completely. I sweat quite a bit, so that was not worth it for me. If you're not worried about breathability, I think this would probably be the absolute best method to keep the water out.

Premium Features