• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

want to know what driven spring is slightly softer than m8 orange

G

glaciermonkey

Dec 6, 2007
skidro willey, wa
what is the difference between the ac secondary orange spring with a 280 rate and the ac green with a 280 rate?

i am trying to tune my or m7 162 a little better. right now i only have about a 1/2" of primary sheave that does not get used but in a long powder climb my rpms' hover around 7300 to 7400. i want to average 7800.

this is my setup
06 m7 162 stock motor and pipe 3000' to 7000'
primary - ac gold spring with 3/16 of shim
- 75 g weights
secondary - ac m8 orange spring with shift assist, hard rollers and adjuster turned all out

the weights are the newest addidtion, i had 70 g weights in before but i was hitting 8300 rpms and i had an inch of unused primary clutch so i went to put in 73 g's but they only had 75's in stock. it runs pretty good but i would like to try a slightly softer secondary spring. could any one give me any ideas to try?

PowerJoe

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
I am interested in trying a slightly softer spring as well and I think SLP makes one, but 73 gram weights will fix your RPM problem, I don't think the spring will change that. A softer spring will just allow you to upshift quicker and you may loose some backshifting.

I thought I read somewhere that the clutches at some year changed from 8" to 8.5" and don't use the entire primary. You may already be shifting out all the way. I don't know how to check that.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
the package on my orange m8 sec. spring said the rates are 175-280, i had a similar idea about a slightly softer spring so i searched around and found that speedwerx makes a few in between and supposedly test them at the same rates as cat. so i ordered one that was a 140-270 about two weeks ago but i cant tell ya how it works cuz im still waitin for it to show:mad:.

on the clutch size thing, the m7 had 8.5" primary clutches and all the new ones are 8.25". according to cats website the part number for the replacement m7 clutch is also a 8.25" so they musta thought the 8.5 was overkill and you probably wont get much more shift out anyways.

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
To reach full shift out you will have to be in overdrive and the only way to get there is if you are racing on the flats on hard pack snow. You will never shift out in the mountains. Most all m7's ran within 1/2 to 3/4" of the top. A softer finish rate on your secondary spring is going to loose rpms. The white adjustment ring is so you can stiffen up the spring to increase rpm's.

To achieve your target rpm's, grind off theweights on the underside of the toe as the m7 likes light tip weight.

F
Dec 5, 2001
back country
I run 75's in my stock m7 with the gold spring at 0-4500', pulling 7750-7800. I'd think 73's would be in order. Also, you didn't say what helix...still running the stock 44-40? Try a straight 36, or 38, or a 40-36 progressive.

Mx, you think softer finish would pull it down? I thought it might let it finish up-shifting, as long as the initial force was kept up. Might hurt backshift, though. I still want a 175-250ish to try...

John

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
softer spring

try the team converion they make quite a few springs I have a 140-260 team spring and I know they make others check out there website for spring rates

Premium Features