• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turnagain Pass Avalanche Workshop

Ok, you have requested it, so here it is!

Alaska Avalanche School in partnership with Alaska Snow Safaris, present the first ever motorized 2-day Avalanche Hazard Evaluation & Rescue Course!

This course is geared towards snowmachiners and is an intensive, hands-on course, which provide students with the skills necessary to recognize and evaluate potential avalanche hazards.

Program curriculum consists of Snowmachine Specific:

* Group rescue techniques
* Beacon use and practice
* Terrain analysis
* Snow stability evaluation
* Decision making
* Route selection
* Safe travel procedures
* Simulated rescue response

The dates are January 23/24 and will be held in Turnagain Pass or Placer depending on snow conditions. Cost for the two days is ONLY $275!

This NEW pilot program will be limited to the first 16 students to register and some pre-requisites apply. We hope to offer more dates next year as well as additional workshops such as, glacier travel and crevasse rescues.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions and please contact the Alaska Avalanche School to register at:

907-345-0878
http://www.alaskaavalanche.com/Site/Schedule.html

Chris

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Awesome idea Chris. I've been discussing the issue of proper training and equipment this year with all of my riding buddies and customers as well.

I will spread the word, I have a feeling you'll fill up those spots pretty quick.

A
Nov 30, 2007
alaska
Ok, you have requested it, so here it is!

Alaska Avalanche School in partnership with Alaska Snow Safaris, present the first ever motorized 2-day Avalanche Hazard Evaluation & Rescue Course!

This course is geared towards snowmachiners and is an intensive, hands-on course, which provide students with the skills necessary to recognize and evaluate potential avalanche hazards.

Program curriculum consists of Snowmachine Specific:

* Group rescue techniques
* Beacon use and practice
* Terrain analysis
* Snow stability evaluation
* Decision making
* Route selection
* Safe travel procedures
* Simulated rescue response

The dates are January 23/24 and will be held in Turnagain Pass or Placer depending on snow conditions. Cost for the two days is ONLY $275!

This NEW pilot program will be limited to the first 16 students to register and some pre-requisites apply. We hope to offer more dates next year as well as additional workshops such as, glacier travel and crevasse rescues.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions and please contact the Alaska Avalanche School to register at:

907-345-0878
http://www.alaskaavalanche.com/Site/Schedule.html

Chris

What are the pre-requisites?

What are the pre-requisites?

Must be able to ride off trail, have a sled that will run (rentals available), pack, shovel, probe and beacon. All students must read 'snow scense' prior to the class. Call the Alaska avalanche school for more specifics.

Carl and Matt from The Chugach Avalanche info center will be teaching the class. Please make the time to register for this class if you can. I think 6 spots are gone from yesterday alone!

Chris

Maybe this is going to be a dumb question but I am totaly lost when it comes to "ttt" and the little icon next to it.... I googled "ttt", and here are some answers.... To the top, Train the trainer, Team time trial, Transpupillary Thermotherapy, Thought that too, Tic tac toe, Time to talk, Teacher Talking Time..... and many others.....
Can you please explain?

(Chris, did you ever got my resume?)

A

Adrenalin

Nov 2, 2008
Los Anchorage, AK
TTT = to the top =)

another way of saying bump

alot of people myself included dont bother looking at the second page so rather then making another post on the same thing they post TTT and bring it back to the first page on top of the newer posts so everyone gets to read it :face-icon-small-hap

From the CNF Avalanche Advisory Website:

Good morning backcountry travelers this is Matt Murphy with the Chugach National Forest Avalanche Information Center on Tuesday January 19th at 7 am. This will serve as a general backcountry avalanche advisory issued for Turnagain Arm with Turnagain Pass as the core advisory area (this advisory does not apply to highways, railroads, or operating ski areas).

ANNOUNCEMENTS
There are still spots available for this weekend's snowmachine avalanche workshop in Turnagain Pass. Sign up at the Alaska Avalanche School (alaskaavalanche.com) or call(907)345-0878. They will cover rescue procedures and snow assessments with some class room and lots of field work.

We would love to fill the last available spots for this new two day workshop this weekend. Please come and join Carl, Matt and the Alaska Avalanche School this weekend in Turnagain Pass!

Chris

Premium Features