• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo Question

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not a truck, but same technology.

My wife has a '12 Explorer with a 2.0 Ecoboost. Coming back from Idaho last weekend I lost boost on the interstate for about 60 miles. Stopped for gas and lunch and after it cooled during this time boost came back but not fully.

The engine has about 70,000 miles. What are the chances the waste gate is sticking open when it gets hot and not allowing boost to build? Probably need to run it to Ford and have them diagnose it but thought I'd run a question out here first to see if I'm on the right track.

Hate to think a turbo has failed when it came back to partial life. I say that as it only seemed to have a fraction of the boost it did when new, thus my thought that a waste gate could be not closing properly.

Thoughts?

R

Ride_The_Rockies

Jun 19, 2002
Utah
Have you checked your intercooler hoses & clamps? You might have a air leak so the turbo can't build boost. I have had a clamp come loose a couple of different times. The first time was on a long uphill pull and the hose came off. Thought I blew my turbo.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
To loose all boost then have it come back cant be a hose a VV turbo might have sticking vains or the exh got to hot and the ECM shut it down , a lot of the automotive turbos have elect waste gates .

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Got it hot?

SHeesh, my size 16 wasn't quite all the way to the floor!

I'd hate to think this thing kicked out just running up the interstate.

Premium Features