• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo or the SC

H

hotliner23

Nov 28, 2008
Billings,MT
Just bought a new nytro and i was going to start changing some things but i was wondering if I should get a turbo or the SC but i see there are some people with some issues on the SC from MPI. I was thinking either the impulse or mpi. tell me what you think I talked to them at the expo, wasnt impressed. if you have some other good ideas i need to change give me a list.I want one badass sled!!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
read the MPI thread right on top here with yours, if you still buy one after that, well, good luck, never dealt with them, just gives you an idea of what your gonna get.

H

Heath@MPI

Dec 8, 2008
What were you not impressed with? Who did you speak with at the show.

If you have any questions on our product feel free to give ME a call at the shop.

Heath @ 888-649-4609

Yes please read the post above especialy the last page.

Thank you

Heath

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I say go Impulse, I have nothing bad to say about superchargers, I can only say this is my second season on my Impulse and it has been great, If I am lucky I just may build another one next year too.:beer;

H

hotliner23

Nov 28, 2008
Billings,MT
what else do you have on your sled. did you install the turbo yourself? how tuff was it? I plan on changing tunnel track and suspension just need some ideas on what works if you have any info!!

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I installed my turbo kit myself, Paul from Impulse has step by step instructions with pictures explaining everything. The most critical part is installing the headshim, he includes step by step info for this too, you just want to be sure and take your time and have a good torque wrench. I have a 162 M-10 rear susp and would suggest one for a turbo build, this summer I will also add a CR tunnel and external drop brackets.

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
Impulse!! all the way.
Paul has some cool new stuff coming out for next year for the guys who just want to turn the key and go:)!!
You will love the turbo over the super!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Just bought a new nytro and i was going to start changing some things but i was wondering if I should get a turbo or the SC but i see there are some people with some issues on the SC from MPI. I was thinking either the impulse or mpi. tell me what you think I talked to them at the expo, wasnt impressed. if you have some other good ideas i need to change give me a list.I want one badass sled!!

What type of riding do you do? I've got 1700 trouble free miles on my S/C Nytro...plus add another 750 from the person I bought it from.

With a S/C, it's all about the install (the same can be said for a turbo)...I've had nothing but good response from MPI, but I haven't had any major problems, either...they did answer the phones on Jan 2 when they were closed for inventory and helped me diagnose a problem. There are plenty of negative stories on here as well. Some of the Powderlites guys seem to be having some issues right now, but Dave's customer service is stellar so there isn't any bashing like with MPI.

Unfortunately, with MPI's rep...it's a tough call.

I do know that everyone who has ridden my sled has come away surprised. It will NEVER be mistaken for a turbo, but depending on your riding, that may be ok.

Good luck. Once you have boost you'll never look back!! :D :beer;

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
No matter which way you go, the install and support will make or break either decision. I have built plenty of both and you can get great, awesome, perma-grin performance out of either one.

J

JTAB

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman Montana
www.lientransportation.com
Super charger or turbo depends on what your expectations are. I have a buddy with a supercharged nytro he loves it good response and power. Turbo's make more hp but it depends on what you are looking for. I have rode the super and for boondocking it is sweet and for the big pulls I love my Turbo's. You know as far as problems we have all had a problem or two with mod sleds. I myself have said never again many times but I have learned that after 3 years of boosted sleds I am not afraid of anything. You either have to learn about them or have someone else fix them. Don't always blame the guy who built it many times I found out that my problems came about by the changes I made that where a little different than what a standard Turbo was set up for. I have read alot about turbo's and that is the first step to making your purchase. Understand the basic fundimentals of the turbo/super charged engine and the decisions are much easier.:beer;:beer;:beer;
ANY BOOST IS GOOD

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I was in the same boat as you last year. I decided to go turbo. I also had the chance to ride a stage 1 super charged nytro.
It felt really smooth and very stock like but with more jam.
Overall for my riding style I prefer the turbo power over the super.
Mcx 1200 miles 320 hp on av gas and the only turn key and go sled I have ever owned.

Yamaha BABY!!!!!!!

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
Built and rode both, I prefer the turbo anyday over the super. I think it matches my riding style better. Im not saying there is anything wrong with the super, it is a fun setup but not as fun as a turbo.

Not to be an a$$ Heath but he has tried that, the sled just does not have enough power for the track and the weight of the rider, last time he went out with us he was about ready to get out of sledding, he wishes that he would have done a turbo instead. The sled has been nothing but a nightmare for him, it does not compare to a turbo at all.

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Not to be an a$$ Heath but he has tried that, the sled just does not have enough power for the track and the weight of the rider, last time he went out with us he was about ready to get out of sledding, he wishes that he would have done a turbo instead. The sled has been nothing but a nightmare for him, it does not compare to a turbo at all.

I'm also curious to hear about problems, to learn about potential issues with my sled...but if he just wants more power, that is not a problem with the kit. He should have done his homework if he thought a S/C would provide the power of a turbo.

If you're going to come on here and bash a company, provide some details of the "problems".

Y
May 2, 2008
Labrador

I went super i think it was mostly because there was already a couple turbos around here and i wanted to be different. MPI has been great to me answered all my questions and only problems i have had with kit so far was i tore a couple sc belts just after i had the kit put on but was my own fault i was running them too slack. If you want instant power go sc although nothing wrong with the turbos i think i will try that next if i were in your shoes right now i would go impulse i hear nothing but good about them.
:beer;Good Luck:beer;

homeboy

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2003
Chehalis
Hotliner

I have a Impulse Race system on my O8 Nytro it has the GT2871R Hydrid Turbo the throttle response is absolutely incredible had a 06 turbo apex and a 700 turbo Dragon and this thing absolutely impresses me. Also have a 162 track Vanamburg tunnel and other goodies on it. The system you chose is up to you but get with some one who will give you service. I rode with Dustin and Cody James Sunday and Cody rides a Super Charged Nytro, it is one of MPI's kits but I think Cody has an attitude control box on it. He is running 18 lbs of boost and I am telling you that thing rips. There where 6 of us riding together 5 of us had boost and Cody's sled was pretty impressive. Just pick what makes most since for you as long as it's boosted, but get with someone who knows their stuff. I don't know where you live but since you are Riding a Yammie I would give the boy's at Outlaw Motorsports a call. I have had a couple issues with my Nytro since the Impulse Race system is so new and there aren't alot of them out there, he only as three of the Impulse race systems out, mine, his, and another up in wa. don't remember where, Twisp I think. But he has a ton of Turbo and supercarger sleds running out there. Dustin has treated me like GOLD and I am nobody special just one of his customers. Their customer service is 2nd to none and I believe when it comes to Yamaha's Dustin is the go to guy in the Northwest.

Give Dustin at Outlaw a call and talk with him and he can help you make a choice that is right for you, and if he is involved you will be happy with the results.

Hope this helps- Pat

robrstopr

Lifetime Membership
Nov 13, 2002
Colorado Springs

He should call Heath....

I'm 230+ and my sled will hit the bumper when I hammer it. It does not compare to a turbo pushing major boost, but it will out perform about everything on the mountain.

Haven't came across any turbo 2's that can keep up.

Make the call. Nothing can fix the need for more boost, but any SC Yami will perform when dialed correctly.

Premium Features