• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer vs. truck?

E
Dec 19, 2007
My tilt trailer has a corrugated steel deck and I cut 3 slots in it for bike tire choks and it works for snow bike skis too. Then I just drive them off the front to unload. It's low so no ramp needed. I don't cover them in the salt I just spray them off and put them in a heated garage.

S
Nov 14, 2020
I'm running a caliber/timbersled ramp and winch on the back of my 6.5' bed.

Seems like staging with a trailer is a pain. Have done it once, that was enough headache trying to find room to park everything. Having a trailer also limits where you can stage. As not all parking areas are large enough.

T
Mar 29, 2011
Stateline, NV
I'm running a caliber/timbersled ramp and winch on the back of my 6.5' bed.

Seems like staging with a trailer is a pain. Have done it once, that was enough headache trying to find room to park everything. Having a trailer also limits where you can stage. As not all parking areas are large enough.
I'm using the same ramp with wheel kits on a 6.5 bed. Works really well. Only issue I have had is when loading the bikes when there's snow on the ramp.

I am intrigued by the winch though. What is your setup? How do you control the winch and guide the bike up?

S
Nov 14, 2020
I'm using the same ramp with wheel kits on a 6.5 bed. Works really well. Only issue I have had is when loading the bikes when there's snow on the ramp.

I am intrigued by the winch though. What is your setup? How do you control the winch and guide the bike up?

Here's my setup:

Winch is wireless, just hold onto the bars and walk next to the bike. It makes unloading easier if the lip of the ski wants to dig under the ramp. Just winch it in and retry.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
No place to park a trailer where I ride. Bikes are in the back of the truck always. Yank them out with no ramp. Load them up from the snowbank. Ramp stays in the garage for loading in the morning. No wheels. Timbersled ramp just ride right up with the first bike. Walk next to the 2nd and possibly 3rd bike. Bring jumpstart pack or jump from the truck on super cold days.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Truck bed 100%. I hate dragging a trailer for 2 or even 3 bikes.

Way more pleasant to drive ans park especially some of our more fun zones thst done really have parking lots.

B
Feb 13, 2017
Hate pulling the trailer. F350 8 foot box and I carry two snow bikes and probably could do three possibly, or one snow bike and a mountain sled fit no problem. Parking a trailer where we ride is a PIA.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Flat deck truck is what I'm using, still pull the heated trailer when its cold out but the deck truck is the bomb.

M5

W
Oct 22, 2017
I do the same as needpowder, sometimes the bike tips over yanking her out if the snowbank isn't perfect. nbd I'm strong as f*ck and pick my bike up all day long while riding:ROFLMAO:. Where I live, no nearby trailhead worth riding accommodates a trailer. I refuse to use a wheel kit too haha, put the ski on a moving dolly for inside the garage. You won't catch me spending hundreds on a wheel kit that you can't ride on in the mud and rocks. So easy to walk the bike up a sled ramp if the snowbanks are lacking, or god forbid you ride right up the rampo_O!! I found pulling the battery and having it ride in the cab to the TH works with out fail to eliminate the cold start up problem

M
Jan 14, 2004
One downside to the truck vs trailer thing is the bikes get slimed real bad on the truck some days. Yesterday was the worst this year. My bike was absolutely coated with sh!t on my flatdeck. So my question is does anybody make a decent snowbike cover? A few years ago there were some out there but the were all crap. I know TS has something but I've never seen one in person.

M5

S
Nov 27, 2007
I chose a truck over a trailer mainly for ease of loading and to avoid issues like salt contamination. For making loading and unloading more accessible, a well-built ramp is critical. It's a game-changer, allowing you to load the bikes onto the truck bed with much less lifting.

I decided on a used truck for my needs. I found a great deal on a 2017 Ford F-150 from boomandbucket for $19,900. This price was perfect for its value. The F-150 was perfect because it had enough space and was reliable for hauling bikes without any hassle.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, I'm with wwill. For many not an option as my van only has two seats but, as a method of transporting my toys nothing has worked better. I've towed open and closed trailers and had several pickups moving bikes and sleds. I moved to a promaster van 6 years ago. Doors on back and side with 22inch rise or drop. With a foot or more of snow, I drive in back and out side door. Tie down strips on floor, easy tie down. Mine is 136'' wheel base and Ive had three snowbikes in it. Two 129s and a 120. Bikes are warm and protected from elements, it gets better fuel mileage than my pickups without a trailer. Doesn't matter what I want to move, building materials, furniture, snow bikes the van is better than my pickups. When I bought in 2017 my van was 12-15K less than a 1/2 ton 4x4 club cab. Unfortunately the vans are very popular for conversion to rv campers and the values have risen alot. Only downside is if you need 4 wd they are not made in a promaster. It is front wheel drive and quite good with good tires. I have chains but have yet to need them.

ravenous

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2013
I have a different option that works really well. I walk down to the shop, and suit up. then I roll up the door
and go for a rip in the mountains. This system works quite well. After the ride we find that the best way to discuss
details about the ride and plan for the next one is to drink a few beers in the shop.
Later in the season we have to throw them in the trucks, 2 or 3 times, which is kind of a nuisance. :)
Its almost unbearable, but still worth it to extend the season a bit.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I am on team van .. dirt bikes or snow bikes a van with a diesel heater is a nice touch… I will never go back to a truck. I have ran trailers and trucks ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features