• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Preference for Long Distance Interstate Pulling

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Any opinions on this trailer? Direct experience with one? Just fishing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Used....c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:317|240:1318

It looks like the tongue is pretty short where you won't be able to fully open your tailgate when hooked up. My experience is with these:

http://www.ultimatetrailers.com/invdetail.php?itemid=67

The United 31 foot aluminum has an extended tongue where you can fully open your tailgate without hitting the jack.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Any opinions on this trailer? Direct experience with one? Just fishing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Used....c0.m245&_trkparms=65:12|39:1|72:317|240:1318

My cousin looked at one of thoose new for me from a dealer in St Joseph were he lives same place as the seller is from. Last year I think the price was the same new off the lot and wasn't a lot more for the full aluminum version. I can try and get him to chime in here with the dealerships name. He said they looked like a well built trailer. I like the idea that the MTIs can handle a car also but not so sure about the 4700# empty weight if your not going to use it for anything other then sleds.

D

Dano702

Dec 15, 2007
Sin City
I have had a 28 ft Featherlight gooseneck for the past 3 seasons, and they are noticeably different for ride and fuel economy. Because they are lower than any vnose tow trailer, they cut much less wind, and the pin weight is directly over your rear axle, so no secondary buck like a traditional tow type. I will never go back. The extra room in the nose is really nice too.:beer;

The Featherlight is what i have been saving for . How is yours holding up after 3 years ? Do they make one with living quarters or a ****ter ? How much did you pay for yours and was it new or used ? I am not buying anything untill i can afford a Featherlite gooseneck.:beer;

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
Side door

I talked to a trailer dealer today and they told me they could put a 57" wide ramp door in the front on either side. I have seen pics of other goosenecks with this setup. How wide is a featherlite door?

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I've seen a bumper pull United enclosed that was converted to a gooseneck and still kept the ramp off to the front side.

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
I built my own fifth wheel trailer and put a 4' door in the front. I can jiggle a rmk with 159" track through the door. I have a full 8' width on the inside of my trailer, if i redid it I would make the front door a little wider. On the other hand the guys with newer sleds just put them in reverse and back them off the trailer.

In regards to the MTI trailer listed above, It is a great trailer. MTI was started as a company by a few guys that were from Haulmark (they are right down the road). These guys couldn't stand the quality issues Haulmark was having (and not fixing) so they started MTI and focus on quality. In fact my dad dumped his Haulmark dealership and switched to MTI this spring. If you are looking for a good price and a good trailer MTI is hard to beat. Although I do agree with the tongue being to short, this may be something they can change. They are a good shop, and willing to do customization to their trailers (if you order).

S

SnoPro753

May 4, 2008
Central Iowa
In regards to the MTI trailer listed above, It is a great trailer. MTI was started as a company by a few guys that were from Haulmark (they are right down the road). These guys couldn't stand the quality issues Haulmark was having (and not fixing) so they started MTI and focus on quality. In fact my dad dumped his Haulmark dealership and switched to MTI this spring. If you are looking for a good price and a good trailer MTI is hard to beat. Although I do agree with the tongue being to short, this may be something they can change. They are a good shop, and willing to do customization to their trailers (if you order).

Can you get a MTI Gooseneck with Ramp Door up front on the one side?

P
Feb 22, 2008
i have a 2008 48' gooseneck trailer and could tow all day at 85 like a dream, sure tows nice but a little big to get in some places, haul out west 4 times a year 18hr drive,love the trailer.

i have a 2007 7x29 inline for sale if interested
heater
lights
cabnits
spare tire
rhino lined frame
finished and insulated
6000.00 used 4 times
can fit four 166's
still tow like a champ

search 2007 inline trailer in mn fore sale snowest, dootalk,crigslist,sledswap

G

goater

Jan 5, 2008
New Richland, MN
I've run with a 32' R&R aluminum with triple axle 7' 6" wide and an American Cargo i believe its called... its sold by Sparks Trailers, that was 28' long and 7'6" wide with dual axles and steel frame aluminum body construction and i have to the R&R was a much better trailer all around. It pulled like a dream when loaded and tracked very true. Was still able to pull reasonably well with the other but if i was putting down the money i'd go for the R&R. I've always been interested in a gooseneck setup but there have been years where we throw a sled in the back of the truck as well and i'm not sure i'd want to lose that option. I have nothing bad to say about the R&R trailers but I was semi disappointed in the american hauler. Brand new it came with some defects, they did take care of them but i just like my stuff to come out right the first time. just my .02 cents worth...

Premium Features