• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Floor Coating

Beetfarmer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2008
Idaho
I used herculiner bed liner in an new charmac in 2010 before I ever loaded a sled and it worked really well. Cost around $90 a gallon and if I remember right it took about 1 1/2 gallons.

T
Oct 22, 2020
For those on a budget that don't want to put down a plastic/rubber or metal barrier that holds moisture and will rot the wood over time.
Oh and this also, protects your driveway, garage floor etc. (but limit the distance your drive on concrete or asphalt with wheels to extent the life of the covers.

About 13 years ago I used Thompson's water seal on the wood, then Cut Plastic bed-liner (about $25-50 for a used 8 foot bed liner) Cut 7-8 inch strips out of the bottom of the bed-liner and used a map gas torch to mold them to fit my 4 sled's skis, a hole in front and one in back for nylong rope and carabiner and pull that up on top of the a-arm to hold it in place. - I have seen these for sale as well, but this was way cheaper for my 4 sleds. 8 covers (I also use woody's hard face vs. carbide's, so that helps life of the plastic too).

I put them on before I enter the trailer and once they exit to snow leave them on in the garage when doing maintenance. They last about 5-10 years before the carbides start to get through the plastic. I have not done this but you could also poor some appoxy in the groves to create a wear layer.

My floor looks great, almost like new Still on a 2005 trailer, see pics.

Attachments

• 20230130_091337_resized.jpg
    20230130_091337_resized.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230130_091347_resized.jpg
    20230130_091347_resized.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230130_091353_resized.jpg
    20230130_091353_resized.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 22

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Kind of along the same "budget" thought as the post above . . . ^ ^ ^ ^

I have used SLP Ski Skins for many years. Put them on to drive in, then take off and slip them on backwards if you need to back out of a trailer.

Had the same pair for over 15 years - still work great!

1675192587595.png

T
Oct 22, 2020
Kind of along the same "budget" thought as the post above . . . ^ ^ ^ ^

I have used SLP Ski Skins for many years. Put them on to drive in, then take off and slip them on backwards if you need to back out of a trailer.

Had the same pair for over 15 years - still work great!

View attachment 399973
Yes, these are what gave me the idea. I pay $25-40 for a good used bed liner on Craigslist. It makes about 3-4 pair. it would cost $400+ to get 4 sets of these. I saw them on Amazon if anyone would prefer to purchase. Amazon product ASIN B07KTF49RM

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have no problem with DIY'ers using bedliner to save a buck, but by the time I factor in my time to round up a bedliner, fab the units, and get rid of the waste I'm personally ahead purchasing them. The SLP units are quite a bit thicker material too to hold up to the carbides.

I use the SLP ski skins as well in the garage and to keep the bedliner in my truck from getting cut up. Used to use them (and similar product before that) or wheels in the trailers. I didn't mind doing that, but it seemed friends were more reluctant to want to cover their skis every time going in and out. Especially having to remove for the next person to use. After pricing out grip glides for the floor I bit the bullet and decided to go the new oil based paint covered with tiles route: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/finally-got-my-decktred-installed.458072/
Two things about having floor tiles over paint that's above just using ski covers is that you can leave gear sitting on the floor and it doesn't get wet from the sleds melting off, and it doesn't get slick from snow/ice/water.

T
Oct 22, 2020
Nice work, l Like the Slot wall on top of the cabinets, and the aluminum trim is amazing. I use my trailer for UTV's as wel, so I like a flat wood to sweep or power wash out dirt/mud. But those tiles look great!

I agree friends wouldn't wait to remove covers, so I make extra pairs for their sleds, they may not be map gas molded to their ski, but they work 95% of the time. There is 48 inches between wheel wells, so you can get 3 pair per bed liner. I just did two be liners at a time and got 4 pair and left 4 full lenths straight 7in. wide left overs in the shop to future use or for Buddies.

Question:
How does the water flow under the tiles to get out of the sled, or does it evaporate? I am in Colorado so it's very dry, not real issues here with slower evaporation.

Premium Features