• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS?

M

Mlosey131

Sep 28, 2011
I have a 2012 and it keeps bogging on me and than threw a code for the TPS. I was told I can cut the black and white wire on the wires coming from the throttle to eliminate it. Is this true and is it going to cause other problems with the sled? I do have a tether or I wouldn't wanna do it.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You DO NOT WANT TO DISCONNECT YOUR TPS.

You DO NOT WANT TO DISCONNECT YOUR THROTTLE SAFETY SWITCH.

You need to find out what is wrong and fix it, not bypass it.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I disconnected my throttle safety switch, fixed the bog that almost killed me going off a wind curl last year. Hit the gas, sled almost died resulting in me getting planted under the pos upside down. Wear your tether and you'll be fine. If you ride like me a random bog anytime you don't pull the throttle perfectly square is far more dangerous than no throttle safety switch.

G
Jan 18, 2012
Disconnected mine... ALWAYS WEAR MY TETHER and i alwas make sure it works before leave for a ride. gotta. other than that i have had no other issues :) BRAAAAP from a flatlandah

Dec 26, 2013
I disconnected my throttle safety switch, fixed the bog that almost killed me going off a wind curl last year. Hit the gas, sled almost died resulting in me getting planted under the pos upside down. Wear your tether and you'll be fine. If you ride like me a random bog anytime you don't pull the throttle perfectly square is far more dangerous than no throttle safety switch.
my tss put me nose down in a creek.should have jumped it,instead it bogged and down I went.after 2 hours of labor I wasent very well liked by my buddies.i agree with eric to a point.at least have a tether.have a tether also could save a limb or some skin

J
I have a 2012 and it keeps bogging on me and than threw a code for the TPS. I was told I can cut the black and white wire on the wires coming from the throttle to eliminate it. Is this true and is it going to cause other problems with the sled? I do have a tether or I wouldn't wanna do it.

I know soooo many guys that have disconnected both pin switches behind the flipper, the throttle safety switches. AND, it clears the bog that you're talking about.

The fix is to replace the switches. They get moisture in them from flipping your sled and burying your controls in the snow over and over. It only takes a little snow in there to short those buggers out.

After you replace them, run a thin bead of silicone around all the mating points of your throttle block assembly and around anywhere where moisture can get in.

You'll never have your two TSS's give you grief again.

G
Jan 18, 2012
I know soooo many guys that have disconnected both pin switches behind the flipper, the throttle safety switches. AND, it clears the bog that you're talking about.

The fix is to replace the switches. They get moisture in them from flipping your sled and burying your controls in the snow over and over. It only takes a little snow in there to short those buggers out.

After you replace them, run a thin bead of silicone around all the mating points of your throttle block assembly and around anywhere where moisture can get in.

You'll never have your two TSS's give you grief again.

DID YOU SAY TWO TSS's???? Please enlighten me where the other one is because this is possibly where my BOG is coming from...

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Why would you ever want to disconnect the tps? I understand the tss but the tps is not a safety component. The ecu needs it to know how much fuel to put to the motor. I can't believe engine runs better without it. The tss can be finicky and is better replaced by a tether but it is there cuz the pilot can't ignore using it like he can a tether. My 2 cents.. replace tps, eliminate tss and replace with a tether... then actually use it...

Aaron

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

G
Jan 18, 2012
Why would you ever want to disconnect the tps? I understand the tss but the tps is not a safety component. The ecu needs it to know how much fuel to put to the motor. I can't believe engine runs better without it. The tss can be finicky and is better replaced by a tether but it is there cuz the pilot can't ignore using it like he can a tether. My 2 cents.. replace tps, eliminate tss and replace with a tether... then actually use it...

Aaron

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

OK... so where is the TPS? is this the Throttle block component? and the TSS im not sure where this is but is it around the throttle bodies?
I am running an aftermarket throttle block and switches on my handlebars so i had eliminated my TPS.. OR TSS whichever one is on the handlebars. i have eliminated these on past sleds with no issue.
would like to know where im getting this BOG from i have a feeling its relatd to these and the PCV

Dec 26, 2013
tps;throttle position sensor;should not be disconnected.it is located on the throttle boddies

tss;throttle safety switch; is in the throttle block.it can be disconnected.

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
OK... so where is the TPS? is this the Throttle block component? and the TSS im not sure where this is but is it around the throttle bodies?
I am running an aftermarket throttle block and switches on my handlebars so i had eliminated my TPS.. OR TSS whichever one is on the handlebars. i have eliminated these on past sleds with no issue.
would like to know where im getting this BOG from i have a feeling its relatd to these and the PCV

The TPS (throttle position sensor) is located on the throttle bodies and is connected to the shaft the butterflies are mounted on. I am not directly looking at my sled so can't be any more detailed. It uses a 0-5 volt output depending on the position of the butterflies in the the throttle bodies. The ecu is calibrated so that it knows how long the to fire the injectors for the said amount of air flowing into engine, hence getting the right AFR. Very important piece of equipment as without it or with a faulty one, the ECU doesn't know when throttle is open or to what point it is open. This is why it can create a bog. They hardly ever just stop working but they will have a dead spot somewhere in their travel and rob ecu of info. So if it has a dead spot just above idle, you would introduce a rush of air into engine before ecu knew it and hence create more air in the burn process and have a lean bog situation. Then when TPS started working again, it would let the ecu catch up and run correctly.

The TSS (throttle safety switch) is located in the throttle block on the handle bars. If ECU senses that the TPS is not at idle but the TSS is in idle position, it will ignore the TPS. This way if the butterflies in the throttle bodies are stuck, say from ice build up, and you let off throttle to idle point, the sled will still go to idle instead of being a stuck throttle nightmare. But if this sensor go on the fritz it can send ECU into safety mode when you are actually on throttle. Hope this all makes sense. If not, let me know and I can try to be more specific.

Aaron

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm just gonna disconnect anything that starts with a T & ends with an S. DONE.

Personally, I'd rather keep the TSS... tether is nice, but it won't keep you on the sled. The bog is there to tell you something isn't right... it might not come at a great time, but generally it's something you probably should have known was going to happen, as I've NEVER seen one go from PERFECT... to BOG as you're just riding along.

G
Jan 18, 2012
so possibly my TPS is going bad.. or needs to be calibrated. by the sounds of things. and the way it bogs.
Once i let out of the bog and let the throttle and idle come back down then GET back into the throttle it runs great for a while then once i LET OUT of the throttle back between Quarter and half throttle the bog returns... DUN DUN DUNNNNN..
ill just tell the dealer to replace the da*n thing and get it over with.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
so possibly my TPS is going bad.. or needs to be calibrated. by the sounds of things. and the way it bogs.
Once i let out of the bog and let the throttle and idle come back down then GET back into the throttle it runs great for a while then once i LET OUT of the throttle back between Quarter and half throttle the bog returns... DUN DUN DUNNNNN..
ill just tell the dealer to replace the da*n thing and get it over with.

TPS can be adjusted as well... there is a high & low spec for it. Some people adjust it down for Turbo setups.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
TPS can be adjusted as well... there is a high & low spec for it. Some people adjust it down for Turbo setups.

Why do they adjust it down? What causes a tps to go out of spec? When i calibrated my PCV my wide open setting was close to being over spec.

Jan 22, 2011
utah
The TPS (throttle position sensor) is located on the throttle bodies and is connected to the shaft the butterflies are mounted on. I am not directly looking at my sled so can't be any more detailed. It uses a 0-5 volt output depending on the position of the butterflies in the the throttle bodies. The ecu is calibrated so that it knows how long the to fire the injectors for the said amount of air flowing into engine, hence getting the right AFR. Very important piece of equipment as without it or with a faulty one, the ECU doesn't know when throttle is open or to what point it is open. This is why it can create a bog. They hardly ever just stop working but they will have a dead spot somewhere in their travel and rob ecu of info. So if it has a dead spot just above idle, you would introduce a rush of air into engine before ecu knew it and hence create more air in the burn process and have a lean bog situation. Then when TPS started working again, it would let the ecu catch up and run correctly.

The TSS (throttle safety switch) is located in the throttle block on the handle bars. If ECU senses that the TPS is not at idle but the TSS is in idle position, it will ignore the TPS. This way if the butterflies in the throttle bodies are stuck, say from ice build up, and you let off throttle to idle point, the sled will still go to idle instead of being a stuck throttle nightmare. But if this sensor go on the fritz it can send ECU into safety mode when you are actually on throttle. Hope this all makes sense. If not, let me know and I can try to be more specific.

Aaron

Jan 22, 2011
utah
Carbonwerx excellent write up. I have a 2018 M6000 giving me a mid range bog. This write up help me understand the TPS better now. Thank you!!

Premium Features