• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

tires?

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Just picked up a 06 F150 xtr package and looking to get some new tires soon. Currently it has 275 65 18's and they are rugged trail T/A's.

Im kinda lost on full size truck tires as this is my first full size I have bought. Im looking for a good highway, snow, ice, gravel and some mud tire. I drive 50% on gravel roads (well with the crappy highways here it should be 100%) and the rest is 6-7 months of winter so I'm looking for something that doesnt get rock hard in the winter but something that doesnt get chewed up on gravel.

What is the recommended tire that actually lasts and is a good tire?

Thanks

M

mxracer328

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 6, 2009
Prince George
i put 275/85/16 on my f 150, BFG AllTerrain T/A's and they work and wear good, and little highway noise. i drive alot of gravel road and do some mud when huntin and i cannot complain. prolly put those on again if i dont go to a mud terrain

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I put Goodyear Wrangler RTS load range C on my 07 F150 CC with 275/65/18s I was happy. They were good on ice and snow wore good quite and I drive as much gravel or more then you. Also the C rated tires really helped with loads and towing. I also had a set of Cooper Discover ATRs load range C on my 05F150 with 17s and they were a really good all around tire to not sure if you can get them in 275/65/18s though. My brother has had Toyo Open Countrys they lasted about 13000 miles with our gravel. Otherwise we've had good luck with the Bridgestone Dueller ATs that came factory on my brothers chevy but not as much on the Dueleler HTs that are on my dads Denali the rocks eat them up.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Just picked up a 06 F150 xtr package and looking to get some new tires soon. Currently it has 275 65 18's and they are rugged trail T/A's.

Im kinda lost on full size truck tires as this is my first full size I have bought. Im looking for a good highway, snow, ice, gravel and some mud tire. I drive 50% on gravel roads (well with the crappy highways here it should be 100%) and the rest is 6-7 months of winter so I'm looking for something that doesnt get rock hard in the winter but something that doesnt get chewed up on gravel.

What is the recommended tire that actually lasts and is a good tire?

Thanks

You can't go wrong with the BFG AT KO's. IMO, best all around tire I've ever run.

In second place, I'd suggest the Cooper Discoverer ST's, but they are noisier than the BFG's and IMO don't give any better or any worse traction across a variety of conditions. With that said, they are $30/tire cheaper thatn the BFG's.

greenspeed

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Anchorage, AK
the toyo m-55 look nice and they make really nice tires. IMO BFG's wear very quickly or I drive too hard lol. Bridgestone Revo's are really nice and well rated on tire rack. They will be really quiet on the hwy. If you're driving on gravel a lot get a set of AT not Mud Terrains. The MT's will most definitely make your rockers look like they were in a war

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
My thoughts exactly.

You can't go wrong with the BFG AT KO's. IMO, best all around tire I've ever run.

In second place, I'd suggest the Cooper Discoverer ST's, but they are noisier than the BFG's and IMO don't give any better or any worse traction across a variety of conditions. With that said, they are $30/tire cheaper thatn the BFG's.

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
I had Toyo Open Country AT's on my 1/2 ton chevy crew cab and they did wellon all conditions, plus if u rotate every 6000 miles, you can get atleast 55k miles on them... I just got new tires and I had almost 58k on my toyos. I lived in a small town in North Dakota so every road I drove was either gravel or crappy pavement.

BFG makes a good tires as well... My buddy had Yokohama Geolander AT's and loved them as well.

Anothe good tire is the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO... I put duelers on my pickup this time around and like them as well... A lot of good tires out there, but there are a lot of crappy ones too... good luck

CK

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
BFG AT is a mighty sweet all around tire....quiet, good in the snow, good on the dirt, looks cool....really does it all. The only thing I can knock them for is not so hot in slimy mud and they wear a little quick. If you want a year round tire tho, pretty damn hard to beat. Toyo AT's are slightly less agressive, but should last longer....so it depends which way you want to lean.

R

RMK SeVeN

Nov 27, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
Revo's

I have a 1/2 ton Chevy and when I first got it I put Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's on it 276/65/18. Finishing my 3rd full year on them (summer and winter in AK) and they are still going strong. Great tire.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
bar none

Just get Yokohama Geolander A/T-S in a LT with 6, 8, or 10 ply. They higher the better but it sounds like a 6 ply would be plenty. Change the size a bit if you can't get into a LT/6+ ply tire in that size. Fords have big fenderwells and handle large tires well. This is one of the best tires I've been around and I was a tire guy for 3+ years. I didn't think they could beat the old A/T but my Dad's tahoe and others have sure proved they are better. Just rotate them often. They make my studded up mudders look dumb. Don't get me wrong, mudders go far but in all around practicality the Geolander is where its at. You WON"T find a better tire

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Just read the rest of this post and CANNOT believe people are still promoting Cooper ST's and BFG A/T's - 2 of the worst and most high priced pieces of crap I can think of. I was pleased with the traction of the ST's for the first half of their life but they suck for wear, ice, and they ALL crack out around the bead. I will give them ride quality. BFG's suck all across the board imho but will wear better than an ST. Get the Yokohama's, you won't be dissappointed one bit for the next 60,000 miles, if you keep them rotated, every other oil change at least if not every oil change, do that and try for 70,000!

M
Nov 26, 2007
BFG AT is a great tire, but wear fast. I asked a guy at the tire shop about the wearing on th BFG AT he said that the lugs are a bit softer and closer together which makes them wear faster if you run gravel

I have used Wild Country XTX's and liked them alot, good priced too.

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
I've had great success with the BFG's on my Dakota, but that's about it! They lasted 70K miles on a small 1/2 ton pickup, but My Cummins ate them up with in 30K even with the 10 Ply's. I've since been buying Goodyear's silent Armor A/T, they are really quite and have great traction in snow. The best feature for me is a 3 ply sidewall for towing my enclosed trailer, super stable with not lateral movement.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got 65k miles on my BFG AT KO's in a 295/75/16 and they're wearing just fine. The only time I use the truck is to haul/trailer. My only compaints are they kick up a lot of rocks and they plug up in the mud.

My next set of tires will be the Interco Truxxus MTs, otherwise I'd get exactly what I have.

B
Jul 6, 2001
Watrous, SK
How are the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos on ice? I just traded trucks and this one has a set on it with prolly 50% of the tread remaining. My only complaint so far is they tend to climb around a lot on wheel tracked highways. (compared to my last 3/4 ton with BFG AT's)

S
Nov 21, 2007
manitoba
Friend has geolanders on a chevy and they are "a joke on ice". 6 months of winter and salt is only used on the corners up here (in this area) so i need an all around tire that handles the ice and snow and gravel and sh!!ty highways we have here.

since i got my newer truck ive put 1000kms on and so far the current ruggeds are doing good on the gravel and slop but ive heard they are pathetic in the snow or anything wet.

Id get BFG A/T KO's but those suckers are way way way overpriced. around 350-400 a tire.

Looking at the new wrangler design but forget what its called.

Have until october to look as the snow flys in october and these ruggeds blow.

Premium Features