• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timbersled on 2012 Yamaha 450F

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
Looking for some advice. Just ran out and bought a clean Yami 450F. Maybe jumped the gun? I don't know. Been watching You Tube videos of guys out blasting through deep snow going about anywhere and I feel I've got the fever and I haven't even tried it yet! I bought this bike because I'm going to buy a 2016 Timbersled Mountain Horse kit and go try this snow riding S**T out. I'm a snowmobile fanatic but have been out of the dirt biking scene for quite a while. Used to ride a lot. Mainely 2 stroke 250's. I got the itch to set up a good bike for some snow blasting. Here are a few questions I could use a little help with.

1. Will this Yamaha yz450f make for a good snow bike or should I have been looking for a different horse?
2. The bike has the recluse clutch in it. Is this advantageous to have when snowbiking or is having standard bike clutching better?
3. What modifications to the bike are recomended to make it eat sh*t up?
4. Will it perform decently in its stock condition?
5. I'm 6'4" and 280lbs dressed. Which Mountain horse kit is best to haul my fat AZZ?
6. Lastly... I believe the kits are roughly $6000 and then you need the FIT KIT for another $1000? So if I change bikes next year I can keep the timbersled rig and I'll only have to spend another $1000 for a new Fit Kit for a different brand of bike?

APPRECIATE YOUR SHARED THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS:hippie:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
jmaxdox;3843180 1. Will this Yamaha yz450f make for a good snow bike or should I have been looking for a different horse? [B said:
They work well, need a little intake work, but otherwise they are a hard running bike. I ran an '11 for two seasons on the snow and it took it like a champ.
[/B]
2. The bike has the recluse clutch in it. Is this advantageous to have when snowbiking or is having standard bike clutching better?

Rekluse is nice, not a deal breaker either way but nice you cant stall it when you fall over then dont have to kick start again.

3. What modifications to the bike are recomended to make it eat sh*t up?

Put a plastic skid plate, maybe a thermostat and intake work. Best setup i found for my '11 was just remove the upper intake "wings" as well as the airbox "lid" under the gas tank and run a prefilter with no foam, also remove the backfire screen as it tends to ice on certain days. Its a loud setup but it runs killer in all snow and you dont have to cut or modify anything, just reinstall back for dirt.

4. Will it perform decently in its stock condition?

If the snow isn't fluffy yes, but the stock intake just scoops snow in and struggles unless modded in any fluffy powdery conditions.

5. I'm 6'4" and 280lbs dressed. Which Mountain horse kit is best to haul my fat AZZ?

I see your from maine, an ST will do well but an LT is not out of the question.

6. Lastly... I believe the kits are roughly $6000 and then you need the FIT KIT for another $1000? So if I change bikes next year I can keep the timbersled rig and I'll only have to spend another $1000 for a new Fit Kit for a different brand of bike?

Standard fit kits are $300. so not very expensive. Also, if you need a fit kit, i have a lightly used one for that bike ill make you a good deal on :) The new TSS kits are fairly expensive but you can reuse parts of them when switching bikes so your not losing all the investment.

Last edited:
C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Seat concepts and Enduro Engineering both make wider and/or taller seats.

They're not much wider, just wider for sitting and will still let you slide up towards the tank if needed.

Footpegs? Some folks are going wider and/or longer with the pegs. Do a search.

Premium Features