• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thunder Products 911 Clutch Cover Tips

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I just replaced the clutch cover on my 2015 M8000 with a Thunder Products billet aluminum cover. Has anyone else done this? Do you have any tips?

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
I don't have the cover but I did just install their special glide washers on both sides of my primary spring. What's odd is it raised my clutch engagement 200rpms. Thunder products says each washer will only raise rpm engagement 40 to 50 per washer. I tired it with few different spring and same results every time. But I'm curious how you will like the cover and what gains you notice on the snow.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That makes sense, those rings are great but, it's true, they do raise your engagement RPM a bit. I'll just have to set the gap between my belt and sheaves (the main reason I got the cover). I had a huge gap between my belt and sheaves (.080) and my clutches engaged with a bang. I like to be able to ease into the throttle and not bury the sled when the track all of a sudden starts digging.

Did you have your primary balanced after installing the cover?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Depending on quality control improvements on your primary but, it used to be beneficial to rotate the cover 120 degrees, reinstall- torque to locate the best "fit (easiest to slide up and down) then mark that as the final position.
Needs a good cleaning after a ride or two too.

When you take up the clearance with the adjuster, it also changes spring pressure (like the shims above), so be ready for that. I used to like the Cat gold (75/ 275) with the cover. By the time you adjusted the clearance to .010" engagement got to 2900-3000 so adding a .060" shim (030" at both ends is best) usually brought it to the 3250ish I like leaving you with a nice ball park spring pressure of 110/310 with zero chance of coil bind.
If you want closer to stock ( because no fuel controller or bog) start with a used D&D white and no shim.

Great investment too. I put one on my Pro from almost new. 4yrs later, the rollers and pucks are a little loose but heck, it still squeezes the belt pretty good.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Geo....man is it nice to see you back over on our side of the house.

Thank you so much for the great tips.

Off topic, did you ever develop a GEO mod for the Proclimb skid?

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
I installed one on my sled last year. I do not believe balancing the clutch with the 911 cover is needed because although it is very strong it is very thin with minimal weight on the outside radius compared to the stock cover. I installed a glide washer on only one end of the spring because that will already relieve spring twist. Depending on the rate of your spring the washers can raise engagement RPM more than 50 per washer. Also as Geo noted, turning in the adjuster to lessen the gap to the belt raises spring pressure, and thus engagement. That is not a problem though because with the free movement of the 911 cover and the minimal distance to the belt, engagement is smoother than ever before and breaking traction even with a bit higher engagement RPM does not happen.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Like the positive reviews for TP 911 clutch covers, especially the "no need to re-balance" statements. I bought covers for my '10 M8, '11 CF8 & my '17 MC 800; Have not had time to do the install yet, but will get to it soon, along with glide washers & report back on the improvements. Cheers. Waiting for snow in Montana!

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Geo....man is it nice to see you back over on our side of the house.

Thank you so much for the great tips.

Off topic, did you ever develop a GEO mod for the Proclimb skid?

I'm always on here Frostbite.

It's just, you know, if you ride another brand, your comments are always taken as if you have a hidden agenda instead of just another point of view.

As to your '15, Cat's been beyond and back to where I finished with my '12 with it's hole placement. As far as I know your '15 is good to go just keep your track as tight as it allows.

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
" As far as I know your '15 is good to go just keep your track as tight as it allows"

I thought loose is fast and keeps the snow cleaned out. Doesn't tight cause friction which reduces horsepower and what about the skid flex?

Premium Features