• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.
S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
So my M1000 only has like 1000 miles on it. SLP pipe kit, PCV, big air horn, CPC clutches. I get up on the mountain (10,000 ft or so is where I ride) and it starts to do this thing where it won't sense the throttle position or something. It will die if I let it idle or when I start it up. It's really weird. Once its going, its fine. It's not a bog, it's not pig-rich. I have eliminated the exhaust temp sensor as 2 went out in 2 rides and replaced with a resistor but this was happening long before they went out.
Is it my TPS? Does it just need adjustment or is it something else??

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
So a couple of questions for you. When your machine is cold does it start okay? Does the problem of starting happen after you let the machine sit for 10-20 minutes? Do you have an AFR on the machine and if so does the AFR read very lean during the problem time? I ask these questions as I am having the same issue and I can at least share with you what I have done so far, however to no avail as of yet.

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
My belt deflection is good. The throttle may be a little loose. The only thing that I've really tried is going into the PCV and checking settings, etc.

Starts fine when its cold, it doesn't start acting up until after I've ridden it for a while

I've been told that it's my TPS but I really hope it's not, thats 280 bucks I don't have haha

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
The things that I have checked are: changed stator(thought the injector coil was intermittent), up-dated PCV firmware and software, changed TSS, and have changed throttle bodies which includes TPS, opened up all plug connectors and cleaned and greased, inspected all wires, I also picked up a new PCV and installed with no change. Like you I have had 2 pipe sensors go out this year. I have calibrated the TPS to the PCV. I have talked to dynajet regarding the PCV and while they weren't able to pinpoint any issues, the up date to the firmware did reduce the problem. While mine is not a 1000 it is an 09 HCR which I now have a 925 in. When the pipe sensor goes out the problem is much worse. This problem only shows up after the machine has been running for awhile and I stop for 10-20 minutes and when I start it the AFR will read 17-30:1 and the duty cycle and RPMs will be lower than normal. After a couple of minutes of either stalling or shutting down and restarting it will finally go and work normally. As well if the machine has not sat for awhile and I just start up after a couple of minutes, it usually starts and runs fine (unless the pipe sensor is bad).

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
So my cousin just called me about my sled, I'm at work, he said it goes in and out of reverse on its own. Like there is a ghost pushing the reverse button. I am at a loss with this throttle issue. Has that happened to anyone out there?

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Just an educated guess, but I would definitely say that you have a problem in your wiring somewhere. Sounds like when it gets warm enough under your hood something is touching something that its not supposed too. I would bring it inside and inspect your wiring. Unplug all of your connections and make sure that you don't have any moisture in any of them. Maybe some dielectric grease on the connections will also help. Make sure none of the wires rubbed through and are touching the chassis anywhere.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I wanted to give you a quick up-date on something I found out and you may want to try. I just changed out my throttle bodies and when I installed the 50 I looked up the specs for throttle cable. As it turns out there should only be a gap of 0.030-0.060" at the flipper. Also maybe try and set your PCV to 10% fuel at 500 and 750 RPM @ 0% throttle (you might even need to play a bit more around the idle area). I've had two trips out now with these changes and have had no issues.

Premium Features