• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thrillcraft - The Environmental Consequences of Motorized Recreation

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
i think if i emailed him i would end up having a search warrent out for my arrest lol. i would give him a little more than just a piece of my mind....and i would be making a bad image for us....so ill just keep my mouth shut

O
Dec 6, 2007
I always have to wonder, what and or who they want to save all of this land for? As far as skiers go, around here 2 miles in and 2 miles back constitutes their day, and that is the hardcore guys. The USFS standard for a days skiing is a 3 mile radius. Yet they want to close off all of this land they do not and can not use just because we can and will go there? Around here they have massive amounts of land closed to sleds, places I could and would use, maybe even have used:D They don't use it though, then they whine about wanting and needing more, using a bunch of lies and feel good BS to make a point based on a false premis.

Definately enough to drive you nuts.

Unfortunately I see us as motorized users losing a whole heck of a lot more before the tide turns. It will turn, I believe that but, not until so many public land users are disenfranchised by the government rulmakers that we rise up in a huge group and protest. We will have to lose it to appreciate it.

We have 75 members in our snomobile club. We had a draft plan revision in our backyard this winter. I preached monthly at our club meetings. I slaved to add to the CSA comment. I sent daily emails to club members for a week straight prior to the comment deadline. 6 letters were written, freaking pathetic. I'm sorry but we deserve to lose with a response like that, pure apathy. I hope all of you guys PO'ed by this stuff participate and guilt your buddies who ride to do the same. We are a long way from winning this because nobody seems to care. They all whine, but nobody works to change it.:mad:

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
In a study of trail users on the Gallatin National Forest near Yellowstone National Park, only 3 percent of the respondents to a survey were engaged in motorized recreation, while 96 percent were engaged in nonmotorized activities. Because of this great imbalance, there is growing public support for limiting or banning ORVs. Out of 7,600 comments on the travel plan for the Lewis and Clark National Forest in Montana, 98 percent of the respondents opposed ORV use on the Rocky Mountain Front.

Well one thing for sure this statement is our fault, educate yourselvs if you havn't already and be a squeaky wheel to the forest service about what you think they should do with our public lands. know about travel plans and e-mail,call,talk to these forest peeps about what you think, don't rant just express your concern. It will change this guys "facts" dramatically if all of us were anxiously engaged in this. btw its free to contact the forest service about the travel plans and such.

A
Dec 12, 2007
BC
check out the bottom of the home page of that site.
what does the war in Iraq have to do with the environment?!

if they were really concerned with the environment they wouldn't add politics to their propaganda for fear of loosing potential supporters.
the fact that they couldn't resist throwing that in there shows that they care more about expressing their opposition to the war than saving the environment or whatever the fukc they do.
typical hypocritical greenys.

http://www.chelseagreen.com/2007/items/thrillcraft

O
Dec 6, 2007
check out the bottom of the home page of that site.
what does the war in Iraq have to do with the environment?!

if they were really concerned with the environment they wouldn't add politics to their propaganda for fear of loosing potential supporters.
the fact that they couldn't resist throwing that in there shows that they care more about expressing their opposition to the war than saving the environment or whatever the fukc they do.
typical hypocritical greenys.

http://www.chelseagreen.com/2007/items/thrillcraft

My buddy had a skier come up to him at a USFS planning meeting and call him a murderer. He said because we were burning gas in our sleds, boys were dying in Iraq fighting for oil.

Talk about sick and twisted:confused:

My buddy had a skier come up to him at a USFS planning meeting and call him a murderer. He said because we were burning gas in our sleds, boys were dying in Iraq fighting for oil.

Talk about sick and twisted:confused:

The next time someone whines to you or any of your buddies regarding sled exhaust or fuel burning in general, you might ask them how much fuel the Space Shuttle goes through in ONE launch. Or how much fuel airplanes burn in ONE day just in the U.S. I don't recall the figures, but sleds are not even a blip on the radar screen. We won't even mention fuel burned by greenies driving to their greenie job to fight global warming or to close our riding areas.

Here is a link to a SAWS alert that we sent out in March 05' regarding the Gallatin. Don't know how many comments we generated, but from the results of the final plan, not many I am guessing. Too bad. :(

http://www.snowmobile-alliance.org/uploads/SAWS_Action_Alert_-_Gallatin_NF_Travel_Plan.htm

O
Dec 6, 2007
Agreed, they are nuts and way off base. For the record, five of us rode to the meeting in my truck, I bet tree hugger boy drove himself, his lack of personal hygiene being a serious consideration:D

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
The real dirty burners are big huge container ships full of Wal-Mart stuff. Bunker fuel is about as bad as it gets.

Bunker Fuel

You figure that Road Diesel & Home Heating Oil are Diesel No2, bunker fuel is Diesel No6. It's the crud left over after making anything useful out of crude oil. It can be up to 3% Sulfur by weight. Wal-Mart shoppers are the real killers of the world.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Well, there's one part I can believe:

"In another study of snowmobilers and cross-country skiers in Alberta, Canada, researchers found that skiers were greatly impacted by the presence of snowmobiles while the opposite was not the case."

Maybe if these people spent more time worrying about THEIR doings, their life wouldn't be so meaningless that they have nothing better to do than complain about OTHER's doings.

I would LOVE to hear this crackpot's explanation of how my SNOWmobile impacts land to an extent that it can't be enjoyed by future generations. People have been sledding around here for decades, built snowmobile trails and cabins, etc....and every year the same people and others come back to enjoy the outdoors again :confused: Heck, in the summer, I can drive my 4x4 or dirtbike up to the same areas and enjoy them all over again!!! Even the logging leads to enjoyment of the outdoors, as we'd never, ever have the type of access we do without it.

The best thing, the cross country skiers sometimes use the trails groomed by the snowmobile clubs and then get mad at YOU when you come down the damn trail!! Like anything, some are ok, some aren't....but there is definetly a large percentage of "holy'er than thou" attitudes. Imagine the reprocussions if you went out on the cross country trail and let er have it hahahaha

M

Mortgage Paul

Dec 28, 1999
No Town
www.TeamMortgageAndCredit.com
Got this forwarded from a different board.

Guys...
We're all giving our emotional opinion, but they've obviously done the research, with the numbers and statistics to back up their position. Unless we are willing to do the same, they will always win the debate. Below are some examples I've come up with. Please feel free to ad you own:

1. The average hiker travels at a sustained pace of 3 mph. The average thrillcraft is capabile of well over 60mph. Given this 20:1 ratio, and so all citizens can share equally in the enjoyment of our public lands, for every 10 acres reserved for hiking, 200 should be reserved for Thrillcraft riders.

2. No Thrillcraft has ever be used in a Terrorist attack against the U.S. However, every Terrorist has walked or hiked at some point during the execution of their attack. In order to protect our National Parks and public lands, all hikers are potential Terrorist and should be barred from public lands.

3. In a recent survey, 87% of hikers said they carried Trail mix or Granola while hiking, with primary ingredients of nuts, grains and berrys. These same ingredients can be used in the manufacture of bio-fuels , decreasing our dependence on foreign oil to power our Thrillcraft.

4. It is a scientific fact that a diet high is nuts, grains and berries causes excessive
flatulance in humans. Besides an offensive odor to those around you, these emission contain methane and other gasses harmful to the ozone layer. A more detailed scientific study is required to determine how much harm these hikers have already done to our planet.

5. During a recent survey of hikers in the Northwest, 50% responded that walking around in the woods all day really blows. They're not really hiking. They're searching for D.B. Cooper's money, which they will use to buy a thrillcraft. Upon hearing the story of D.B. Cooper, the other hiker changed his answer, making it 100% of the hikers surveyed agree that it really blows and they would rather ride a Thrillcraft.

6. Soil errosion is a major problem on public lands, and left unabated, will continue. The Grand Canyon is a prime example of a hikers idea of watershead management. Thrillcraft riders abhor nature and seek the highest mound or hill to assert their dominance on. The ruts left by the Thrillcraft provide deverse and alternate watershead paths, preventing our great nation from becoming "the Grand Canyons"!

I will not stand by and watch our National Parks become a bunch of fart smelling, burned up canyons full of Terrorist!...Damm it!

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
One study in Montana concluded that 89 percent of hikers and 84 percent of horseback riders found that the presence of motorcycles was incompatible with their activities and impaired their experiences. In another study of snowmobilers and cross-country skiers in Alberta, Canada, researchers found that skiers were greatly impacted by the presence of snowmobiles while the opposite was not the case.

Hum just sounds selfish to me.

H

HardcoreAK

Nov 3, 2001
North Road
Enter, Obama

Wont be long now, just wait till Mr. Obama is behind the wheel if you think this is bad. It hasnt even begun to suck. During the Bush administration we have had a eight year break from the LOCK UP policies the Clinton administration set in motion. Obama will undoubtedly and deftly pick up those "roadless" initiatives, close up the back country, make it illegal to recreate with any motorized vehicle and find some way to tax us thrillcrafters (since were in a high-risk category) until we cant afford healthcare or even own a <thrillcraft>. I hate that word already. I imagine he will be tripped up with trying to confiscate our ASSAULT weapons first, so we will have some time to sell our sleds to some europeans, or maybe the chinese people, heck they are buying cars now.......wont be long before they want to tear up their wilderness areas like us!

Premium Features