• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of switching

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
Been on an early AXYS 163 3” with a Boondocker turbo for the last 4 years. Just sold it and looking for the next sled. Thinking about an Alpha, rode a 19’ and thought it was nice.
My 16’ AXYS was a boat anchor compared to a buddies 18’ AXYS with a pipe/can. Found a 21’ Alpha all lighted up with a Nextech carbon skid, got me thinking. Just looking for all the opinions on here lol
Not looking for the lightest, just much lighter than the turbo and much more nimble.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I think you'd really enjoy the sled, especially with the carbon skid. I love my alpha,, Now I'd come across as biased right away haha, they've all got their pros and cons. I've ridden all the new sleds and while I find the factory gen 5 ski doo to my overall liking, I cant go back to a twinrail lol., I still come back to the alpha, the monorail is deff the next mountain sled part, I'll bet once the patent is up ski doo and polaris will be on it next, Aside from things others have done like narrowing up the front ends which help more, You do feel a twin rail when you come off an alpha. I'm less tired at the end of a day of hard riding because it takes like half the effort.
Also the alpha track just hooks up and climbs, its very impressive.

stock to stock the alpha keeps up with them 850's all the same.

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
Interesting you’d mention tiredness at the end of the day, that’s the biggest thing for me and the turbo. Just harder to ride, kinda like strapping a 50# bag of calf feed on the hood and riding all day vs a stocker with a can.
Only back to back comparison I have is riding a 13’ pro and jumping back and forth to an Alpha. I was sold on the Alpha until I was lured in by the AXYS turbo.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Interesting you’d mention tiredness at the end of the day, that’s the biggest thing for me and the turbo. Just harder to ride, kinda like strapping a 50# bag of calf feed on the hood and riding all day vs a stocker with a can.
Only back to back comparison I have is riding a 13’ pro and jumping back and forth to an Alpha. I was sold on the Alpha until I was lured in by the AXYS turbo.
for sure, I can ride "hard" and go for 2 days back to back and be fine where as before I felt done after 1 day, And interesting on the turbo haha, I think they add some weight but not much past stock?. my alpha is a 165, And I came from a long history of turbo'd sleds lol, I ran it stock for ~4000km. best 4000km I ever had, ever. pull and go, that said I never felt it needed a turbo.... they go good enough 95% of the time. especially how well them alpha's hook up and climb, throttle response is great, the low gearing really compliments the big track for its "flickability". I recently was "dumb" and turbo'd the sled with a used BD kit which has been a headache, their numbers just don't run. I did a sled trip the other weekend and my sled didn't want to run so buddy brought a stock 19 alpha incase and I took it out, I had a blast still. I forgot how much fun if not funner the stock sled is lol, He rides a supercharged alpha and took it out for a day after and said the same thing.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I had a 2016 Turbo Axys and switched to a Alpha in 2019 - Handling was more predictable on the alpha once you got used to riding a mono rail-
Yeah I miss the boost, but can tell you that it will keep up easily with a non boosted 850 of Polaris /Skidoo and will out do them in a lot of situations especially climbing.
I felt the Alpha was more boxy feeling with a heavy front end, but with learning how to ride and not override the Alpha, I overcame those feelings.
I miss the boost a lot but for everyday riding hands down I prefer my Alpha and sold my Lightweight Axys- Yes I had a lot of time and $$ into the Axys, but feel more now at home on the Alpha.
Being 66 years old Boost makes it easier to conquer for the lack of my riding mistakes- but with the Alpha- I am not as nearly tired at the end of the day.

Since I am a dealer for K Mod- I put the K-Mod skinny rear suspension under it and made the handling more predictable and more manageable. and with the rear now being a adjustable coupling Thats is what makes the sled feel more planted when you want it to.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Been on an early AXYS 163 3” with a Boondocker turbo for the last 4 years. Just sold it and looking for the next sled. Thinking about an Alpha, rode a 19’ and thought it was nice.
My 16’ AXYS was a boat anchor compared to a buddies 18’ AXYS with a pipe/can. Found a 21’ Alpha all lighted up with a Nextech carbon skid, got me thinking. Just looking for all the opinions on here lol
Not looking for the lightest, just much lighter than the turbo and much more nimble.
I know what you mean about boat anchor. I sold my 16 axys turbo to a buddy. When i hopped off my 19 alpha and rode it again, that is exactly what it felt like. I will say these new matryx sleds are a million times better and lighter feeling without the downsides of the alpha. After getting away from alphas for a couple years, i am no longer infatuated with them and have a 22 mountain max still. Doesn't get rode much. Not here to talk you out of anything but if seriously considering i would wait for the catalyst. I always gripe about people waiting because you aren't getting any younger or life is passing you by but the alpha needs the things the catalyst is coming with. The alpha is fine but i wouldn't consider it a great sled.

B
Jul 28, 2008
My Alpha one with silber turbo weighs almost the same as stock. (2-3lbs difference) Silber turbo has a lightweight can that replaces the boat anchor oem can. I weighed it several years ago and I think the stock can alone was 22lbs. The weight difference of a turbo vs stock is about the same weight as half a gallon of fuel. It's a non-issue. ......and my alpha has been pull and go with the turbo for 1200 issue free miles.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Alpha to Khaos.
Alpha is fun, more comfortable riding position, and the best deep snow sled i have ridden. Once u install the elevate kit, they're amazing at downhill carving, stock, they dive pretty hard, kinda like a submarine, u can easily burry a stock Alpha downhill!

Khaos will go where u point it without worrying about the back-end dropping. Super fun hauling ass down the whooped trail. Cruises over rutted jeep tracks in the spring summer snow.

In good snow, i choose the Alpha.
That said, the Khaos gets ridden more due to the snow conditions.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
I know what you mean about boat anchor. I sold my 16 axys turbo to a buddy. When i hopped off my 19 alpha and rode it again, that is exactly what it felt like. I will say these new matryx sleds are a million times better and lighter feeling without the downsides of the alpha. After getting away from alphas for a couple years, i am no longer infatuated with them and have a 22 mountain max still. Doesn't get rode much. Not here to talk you out of anything but if seriously considering i would wait for the catalyst. I always gripe about people waiting because you aren't getting any younger or life is passing you by but the alpha needs the things the catalyst is coming with. The alpha is fine but i wouldn't consider it a great sled.
I rode a 22 Matryx 165 last year for a day and thought it was nice, but did not notice a huge difference between that and a buddies 18' axys 163 2.6" piped and clutched. I'm sure it's because we aren't good enough riders to see the difference, but we both agreed there was no reason to upgrade asap to the Matryx. Both sleds mentioned above are "better" than my 16' turbo axys (that I sold) as far as handling in the steep trees. I would love to get a Catalyst but need something to ride the next couple years.... !!!!! Great info thanks
Alpha to Khaos.
Alpha is fun, more comfortable riding position, and the best deep snow sled i have ridden. Once u install the elevate kit, they're amazing at downhill carving, stock, they dive pretty hard, kinda like a submarine, u can easily burry a stock Alpha downhill!

Khaos will go where u point it without worrying about the back-end dropping. Super fun hauling ass down the whooped trail. Cruises over rutted jeep tracks in the spring summer snow.

In good snow, i choose the Alpha.
That said, the Khaos gets ridden more due to the snow conditions.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
We only ride a few days a year, so we can't pick the conditions! We book trips in November for sometime in February, always find good stuff though, just have to go further back. We are flat-landers that fly in.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I rode a 22 Matryx 165 last year for a day and thought it was nice, but did not notice a huge difference between that and a buddies 18' axys 163 2.6" piped and clutched. I'm sure it's because we aren't good enough riders to see the difference, but we both agreed there was no reason to upgrade asap to the Matryx. Both sleds mentioned above are "better" than my 16' turbo axys (that I sold) as far as handling in the steep trees. I would love to get a Catalyst but need something to ride the next couple years.... !!!!! Great info thanks

We only ride a few days a year, so we can't pick the conditions! We book trips in November for sometime in February, always find good stuff though, just have to go further back. We are flat-landers that fly in.
Some of the stuff you wouldn't notice depending on snow conditions. The tunnel is huge in deep snow besides being a little narrower. The weight is packaged better. I think a shorter one does better than longer ones in old chassis. If you're dead set on getting an alpha to hold you over until they put a real motor in the catalyst, pm me and I'll give you the deal of the century on a 22 mountain max 165 with less than 200 miles

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
Some of the stuff you wouldn't notice depending on snow conditions. The tunnel is huge in deep snow besides being a little narrower. The weight is packaged better. I think a shorter one does better than longer ones in old chassis. If you're dead set on getting an alpha to hold you over until they put a real motor in the catalyst, pm me and I'll give you the deal of the century on a 22 mountain max 165 with less than 200 miles
I cut my tunnel on my old sled about 9", removed the flap and added a CR Racing cooler. It was cut with a curve in it like a fender right at the back. He did a great job. I was gonna go to a 155+- tunnel depending on the brand. I'm not dead set at all, but I do appreciate your offer! Never pm'd on here.
If I did get an Alpha I'd probably go for one that had all the Patrick's lightweight stuff, light can, different hood and swapped for a for a belt drive for starters. All the low hanging fruit.

T
Dec 16, 2021
Michigan
I had a 2016 Turbo Axys and switched to a Alpha in 2019 - Handling was bore predictable on the alpha once you got used to riding a mono rail-
Yeah I miss the boost, but can tell you that it will keep up easily with a non boosted 850 of Polaris /Skidoo and will out do them in a lot of situations especially climbing.
I felt the Alpha was more boxy feeling with a heavy front end, but with learning how to ride and not override the Alpha, I overcame those feelings.
I miss the boost a lot but for everyday riding hands down I prefer my Alpha and sold my Lightweight Axys- Yes I had a lot of time and $$ into the Axys, but feel more now at home on the Alpha.
Being 66 years old Boost makes it easier to conquer for the lack of my riding mistakes- but with the Alpha- I am not as nearly tired at the end of the day.

Since I am a dealer for K Mod- I put the K-Mod skinny rear suspension under it and made the handling more predictable and more manageable. and with the rear now being a adjustable coupling Thats is what makes the sled feel more planted when you want it to.
Have you tried any of the aftermarket stuff to lighten the sled up? Seems like there is an easy 35#+ to lose by lightening up the rotating stuff, a hood, belt drive and a can. You mentioned the Alpha feeling like it was heavy in the front.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have found out over the years that generally it helps but not a game changer. Biggest thing for the Alpha I did was doing the K-Mod skinny.
While there is not any weight difference ,it changes the way the sled handled. ( way better shocks) and coupling)
A person can spend big money on a belt drive ect ect but it's not getting you any higher on the hill.

With the way the mono doesn't hold snow, it's the lightest out there in true riding comparison vs the Doo and Polaris, I mean by weighing things out after riding.
I tried the elevate kit but the trend lost momentum after a year , and I was not happy how tippy it made the sled.

I have a light weight can/exhaust on it and that's about it for lightweight stuff- and not a big fan of a headlight delete, as we use them often here in Wyoming, yeah we ride late.
All the light weight stuff is fine to be able to make it feel lighter- but I have yet to see that much of a difference on the hill for the money spent and the time to install.
I have a speed shop here and people swear by them,( light weight items) but I'll let them spend their hard earned $$.

Me looking forward..I would spend the money on a big Bore for the Alpha-before I spend $6k on a GOOD turbo adding weight and truly understand power to weight ratio - but thats just me.... might be the old school in me I guess..... I did fully clip my Alpah track and added weight- but rolls so much easier now, so I went backward on the weight thing ..LOL;)

Last edited:
Premium Features