• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thinking of going poo. input from those who have spent time on xm and pro

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
You choose between bracing a tunnel, and bracing a sadly weak front end on the doo...

To claim that the XM is strong while the pro is weak is seriously overlooking flaws in the doo. Both are fixable chassis wise... one has problems that go more notably beyond the chassis though.:face-icon-small-win

I guess I should have considered the S/E module potential issues as I had a 2008 TNT when they first came out and know the weakness. I would, however, rather replace the S mod than a tunnel.....

Still trying to decide...........

4funxs

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2010
UT
I'm a Post Lurker, not a poster, but occasionally I think I have something to add. I have both a stock 12 Pro and a stock 13Xm, and a 2010 modded M8. All three of my sleds are 162-163's. Most of my riding is with my son and son-in-law. We usually switch around during the day, just to be on something different, and the M8 is not quite to the same level as the other 2. So we have to share. 2 of us are a little more comfortable on the xm and 1 more on the Pro. The one that likes the Pro is the more talented, balanced or just plain better rider. After now 2 seasons of riding both, I have had zero issues with either sled. They are both awesome sleds. When you jump from one to the other, it just takes a minute to adjust to the different body positioning for each, I ride the pro about 5 inches further back than the xm. They will both go all the same places, the xm can creep along a little slower, the pro can flick up hill a faster. We ride at least 50% of the time at our cabin, at 8,600 feet. We love the trees, the xm and the pro will get through them and to the top better than the m8. Most days the sled to the top first is not the sled it's the line, or better stated the turns through the trees. Several times each winter similar lines are taken on each of the different sleds through the same sections of tress, sometimes the pro has to turn back down and sometimes the xm. My point to all of this is really that the 2 are so close it comes down to preference and sometimes that split second decision of go here or there or well crap I'll come back up and try again. All of this is probably the same babble as everyone else, but this is where I am going. I am checking a 2015 school bus. I remember snow checking a 2000 700 summit with a 151 and everyone thought I was crazy, I'd never be able to turn that thing. I think the competition is awesome and this next year I think it's time for the others to match what Ski Doo has done. If Polaris comes in 2016 with a 174 3" or maybe a different power plant, I'll buy one of those too. It's to much fun to ride to be a whiner. Ride what you like and make it memorable.

P1010831.jpg P4040895.jpg

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
I'm a Post Lurker, not a poster, but occasionally I think I have something to add. I have both a stock 12 Pro and a stock 13Xm, and a 2010 modded M8. All three of my sleds are 162-163's. Most of my riding is with my son and son-in-law. We usually switch around during the day, just to be on something different, and the M8 is not quite to the same level as the other 2. So we have to share. 2 of us are a little more comfortable on the xm and 1 more on the Pro. The one that likes the Pro is the more talented, balanced or just plain better rider. After now 2 seasons of riding both, I have had zero issues with either sled. They are both awesome sleds. When you jump from one to the other, it just takes a minute to adjust to the different body positioning for each, I ride the pro about 5 inches further back than the xm. They will both go all the same places, the xm can creep along a little slower, the pro can flick up hill a faster. We ride at least 50% of the time at our cabin, at 8,600 feet. We love the trees, the xm and the pro will get through them and to the top better than the m8. Most days the sled to the top first is not the sled it's the line, or better stated the turns through the trees. Several times each winter similar lines are taken on each of the different sleds through the same sections of tress, sometimes the pro has to turn back down and sometimes the xm. My point to all of this is really that the 2 are so close it comes down to preference and sometimes that split second decision of go here or there or well crap I'll come back up and try again. All of this is probably the same babble as everyone else, but this is where I am going. I am checking a 2015 school bus. I remember snow checking a 2000 700 summit with a 151 and everyone thought I was crazy, I'd never be able to turn that thing. I think the competition is awesome and this next year I think it's time for the others to match what Ski Doo has done. If Polaris comes in 2016 with a 174 3" or maybe a different power plant, I'll buy one of those too. It's to much fun to ride to be a whiner. Ride what you like and make it memorable.

Thx for you post, i'm having a really hard time to decide which one to order. I think i want the pro, but that 3" track is hard to turn down. I'm not one of those to bash brands so i'm open minded and just want something to ride :)

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
Both sleds are really good BUT the '14 and '15 Poo are pretty much the same, the '15 Doo T3 174.......???

4funxs

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2010
UT
As some other have posted, ride and decide. I do like the Ski Doo warranty better. When it comes to reliability, I have not had any problems, but when it comes to that I think they are all a crap shoot. Look at how many horse power we are getting out of these things per cc and the rpm we run at. They are all a time bomb. Then some sleds just run and others don't, In 98 a snow checked 2 identical sleds, consecutive serial numbers. The one my wife chose just ripped and mine didn't run as well. I checked everything from clutching, porting, compression, everything the same and hers just ran better. That happens sometimes, it just meant I got a new sled in 2000 and she had to wait for 2002:face-icon-small-hap

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I guess I should have considered the S/E module potential issues as I had a 2008 TNT when they first came out and know the weakness. I would, however, rather replace the S mod than a tunnel.....

Still trying to decide...........

Just from my observations around here, riding with more pros than anything else... I've seen more S mod replacements that I can count on 2 hands, and I have yet to see a single pro with a bent tunnel (unless you count breaking that POS rear bumper a "tunnel" issue!!! :D ) Both are real issues, but the odds of the S mod costing you $$ are MUCH higher imo.

Around here the most common damage is from a ski hitting a rock under the snow, do that with a pro and you have a 15 min, couple hundred $$ job, installing new a arms. Do the same with an unbraced Doo (or pretty good odds even with braces) and you have a 12 hr job that will cost you $500+ without labor.

Around here we see this a LOT... but like I said, have yet to see a single bent tunnel.

If only the pro came with a motor installed... boy, that would make it a cool sled huh? (oh, and the TPS issues, OOOH... and all the other electrical issues...) I'm not saying the pro is great, I just find it funny that we could possibly compare something that is somewhat rare to something that doo guys look at as practically regular maintenance. Being the heaviest sled out there, the fact that it's this weak is pretty annoying to me. (of course, I just modded mine so I don't have to worry about it, like I would with any of the sleds)

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
IMO the only things that are better on the XM are the fit and finish, controls, and of course the motor. That being said the fit and finish on my Pro isn't bad, the plastic and panels can be a bugger sometimes, but you get used to them and they work, fit and finished elsewhere is great. The pro controls are nothing fancy, but they work. The motor on the Doo is just hands down nicer, but I do believe that the pro motor is sufficient, it takes me where I wanna go, and the Pro chassis is much easier to ride in the trees and steep stuff.
I rode doo for 5 years and have been on Pro's for 3 now and I have never had an issue with either of the pros I've had and I have and I have put over 1500 miles on both. Honestly, not one issue, besides blowing 1 belt on my 11, no hiccups, nothing. I had periodic issues with the Etecs that I had, both 600s and 800s running funny, cutting out and such, but no major issues. Over all I have had better luck with Poo, crazy, I know. I think you either get a good one, or a bad one, and I've been lucky enough to get good ones. Overall I will take a pro over the XM any day just because of the superior handling. All depends on what you want.

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
I have owned a rode all 3.

Had a 2012 pro 155 for 2 years. Not one issue until about 1500 miles, the motor grenaded. Was babied from new. The sled was awesome to ride, handled fantastic. I did buckle the tunnel, not from jumping, but from dropping down about 3 ft onto a frozen creek bed. Easy fix and added some tunnel bracing.

Snowchecked a 2014 cat limited 162 for the start of this year. Sold it at 600miles. Just didnt like it. motor and track are awesome, but the fit and finish was below the others, seat was terrible, skis are terrible, snow ingestion under the hood was bad, the steering was very heavy no matter what i tried. (3 different sets of skis, limiter straps, air pressure settings).

Bought a 2014 summit X 163 to try out. I was at this point set on going back to the poo, snowchecking a 2015, but a good deal on the doo came along and I was curious never having been on one. The first ride was a huge adjustment in riding style. The 2nd ride was way better and after my third ride I really like the sled. I like to tinker on my stuff and the doo is a quality built sled. everything is nicelt built and fits together beautifully. The motor pulls like a freight train and has a ton of top end. It rides down the trail smoother than the other 2. Love the ride thru the bumps, which suprised me. I thought the cat was smooth after the harsh polaris, but the doo is even better. I love how light the steering is even tho it is apparantly heaviest of the 3, sure doesnt feel that way riding it. It does like to lift the front end which is fun when your playing around but not quite as fun in a steep climb. Will wheelie like crazy!!! Sidehilling is pretty good but not as good as the pro tho.

Overall very nice sled. I would buy either the poo or the doo on any given day.......BUT.....the poo motor has proven to be a real crap shoot and the extended warranty thru polaristar can be an issue. The doo got me with the 4 year FACTORY warranty, way better fuel mileage....unless you are pinned all the time, then its about the same as the polaris, the fit and finish of everything is a joy to tinker on.

Dont forget the dealer also. If the dealer for whatever sled you buy is good or bad makes a difference to me in the direction i would go. Cant beat good service and knowledgable people.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Have owned an 11 Pro 155 for a few years, I feel very comfortable and confident on it. The chassis is designed for being on an edge IMO, and thats a great thing if your aggressive and technical. But the engine is garbage, power is fine, reliability isn't.

Have ridden a 13 XM 154 a few times now, got some good time on it last trip. I was feeling very confident pulling it over and holding sidehills/lines, or just doing tight technical carves and turns through the trees. I still think the 16" wide track and wide boards are what are holding the chassis back some in the steep-deep and technical. The turning effort is so much nicer on the XM in tight-slow trees. The engine is so much smoother and more efficient.

Get an XM.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I couldnt care less if it was a great running turbo or a chitty running turbo. It had a turbo and couldnt climb where my stocker went. In the end he gave up. Plain and simple. Pros are junk. I have yet to see a great running turbo. I saw a TSS XM that worked pretty good and even that sled had a burble here and there. Buy a Pro and start saving for that XM you should of bought in the first place !

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Sure have had a lot of fun on my junk pro :D

The more technical your riding, the more you'll favour the pro IMO.

I would agree. We finally figured out what it takes to make the XM do what a Pro will do in the steep, techy stuff....with confidence and much reduced effort. They wont do it out of the box, but with some changes...track, spindles, skis, weight reduction, it is finally right there with the Pro in the nasties.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The biggest thing I hate about the xm is how they drag in the snow compared to the pro. I put rassmussen air frames on,which help, but still not the same as a pro. They are actually worse than a pro on gas and oil when you ride crap out of them. We left an xm on the mountain because the 2 pros couldn't afford to give anymore gas after 2 servings. I also do not believe that you are going to stop the xm from washing as much unless you change the track and get rid of the flex edge. Maybe a 3 inch 15 wide. I actually think that the xm climbs higher than a pro do to the 16 wide and not because of more power. They are both awesome sleds.

J
Feb 23, 2010
Pro vs xm

I'm 46 years old I tried a pro this season.Last season rode a 13 xm set up real nice shocks,clutching,slp full exhaust great sled.After a frustrating transition to the PRO I finally appreciated its strengths predictable handling good manners as the sled will react precisely to rider input and instill confidence.I find myself having to be more aggressive at initiating turns and side hills ,the stock suspension is hard on my old bones compared to the xm.Steering effort in springtime conditions on the pro is tougher than the xm,the power difference between the pro and xm becomes apparent in spring time also warmer temps,set up snow the etec shinesIMO I'm going back to a standard xm for 15 I plan on a 15 x3 toms evo rear skid evol front shocks rooster built clutching slp spindles,gripper skis and hopefully a tki belt drive for the best of both worlds.FOR SALE 13 pro Kmod raptors all the way around x3 rooster built clutching 1000 miles or trade for xm

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
The biggest thing I hate about the xm is how they drag in the snow compared to the pro. They are actually worse than a pro on gas and oil when you ride crap out of them.

The T3 is the first big step in the right direction doo has taken with respect to the tunnel clearance issue, the doo tail has always been dragging in the deep more then it should, the pro is very good in this department because of its sleek and slender tunnel design. You all remember the rev tunnel....what a nightmare!!

Is the sled in breakin mode still? The motor should not be using that much fuel and oil even pinned, unless your still under 250-300 miles on the sled.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
48293711.jpg

Dec 1, 2007
I really appreciate all the useful opinions and constructive criticism. Its very helpful to have some good input and not just brand bashing. Ive been on skidoo for ever just because I understand them and did on ton of tuning with the tra stuff. Only reason I even started thinking about a new sled was the snocheck offers from polaris. Everytime I have my mind made up, the next post gets me thinking the opposite. I think in a nutshell they're both going to be cool machines. Ive still got a week to decide.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I was in the same boat as you last winter I just could not decide which one to buy so I let a coin decide for me.
Ended up with a pro and I'm happy with it, there's a few things I ended up moding and changing but I never ride a stock sled anyways.

Premium Features