• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The scoop on Cat's 858 Catalyst engine - The SnoWest Show

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Arctic Cat's Andy Beavis, Troy Halvorson and Philip Jant join host Ryan Harris to discuss the details of producing the new 858 engine. We take a mountain rider's perspective and ask all the tough questions.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I'm not a Cat guy, but glad they're putting out something like the Catalyst. Engine and chassis sound promising, not to mention the new gauge. Great podcast. Nice to hear about their process and how all came to be. I think that's the most info Cat had EVER put out. That's the type of stuff the consumer wants. Wish them well. Doo, did you see their gauge??? Time to step up to the plate.

32longtrack

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
Great Job Cat! Really enjoyed the podcast SW. I like the way Cat has released new product the last 2 Haydays, its not traditional but should become the new normal IMO. Getting to hear from the engineers talk about how the Catalyst was developed is appreciated and awesome (Ben in marketing, Deep Dive engineers on Youtube this spring). I'm a Cat Guy. Been riding since I was 6 and I'm 50 now. I don't have an Alpha (I ride a 2015 proclimb with upgrades) but have spent time on one. I loved it. I will not own a new sled without the Alpha rail. After riding the Alpha I wanted Cat to build a sled around the skid instead of adapting it to an old chaise. I hope Cat gets some 858's to dealers so we can ride them. I will be upgrading this year hopefully no limited runs my dealers couldn't even get a Catalyst to snowcheck. This sport is becoming incredibly expensive so please try and keep the cost under control. One thing I would like to see Cat do is get some of these 858's with Ibex Turbos & NA's to Muskoka Freerider this season. My 9 year old son and I watch all his videos. The kid puts out the best content in all of sledding. Cat would sell a lot of sleds.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
The engine & chassis sound interesting, but there is ALWAYS alot of hype associated with the release and/or promotion of a new sled. We all know how that works . . . about 60% legit and 40% fluff :)

The gauge, on the other hand, is using the Garmin Tread platform which communicates on the MURS frequencies, and as i understand it, will not communicate with the Polaris 7S gauge, and is not usable in Canada.

Anyone else have intel on this?

This might turn out to be a big issue for those who are hoping to communicate with others on a different brand of sled.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I'm glad Ryan brought up the Alpha rail conundrum, even though I'll probably be snow checking an 858 this spring, with hesitation.

I'm coming from Poo and absolutely do not want the Alpha skid. I don't care how much they try to fluff it. When folks say, "Well, it washes out in steep set up terrain," then I'm out. I don't need the extra traction or the easier tipping. I just need it to work, and work all of the time. It's gotta be predictable. Always. It reminds me of Doo's silly t-motion, or whatever they call it. That concept is such a failure. Please, please, please come out with a dual rail so that I don't have to tear apart a brand new sled...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i think if youre scared of the alpha rail you should have a backup sled. instead of asking cat to scrap the single for a heavier "all around" version. People with super cars and bikes do not take them out in bad weather and complain that they are hard to control and ask the manufacturer to put all terrain tires on them from factory for changing conditions. they take their other vehicle.
that said i also believe this sled that was designed around the alpha skid, not just thrown under an existing chassis, will handle spring conditions much more predictably.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The “washes out in steep terrain” rings very true to me. I had a 19’ alpha and a 20’ twin rail the same year and rode them both a lot. The alpha rear just was not as predictable in the super steep side hill through the tree terrain. You had to be very careful with the throttle when you pushed it had to not wash out. The twin rail acted very similar and predictable to my matryx sleds. I’m hoping with the changes to the chassis on the catalyst the wash out tendency is less. The cat still has the best backcountry 3” of any manufacturer. I’ll definitely have a catalyst 858 next year.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The “washes out in steep terrain” rings very true to me. I had a 19’ alpha and a 20’ twin rail the same year and rode them both a lot. The alpha rear just was not as predictable in the super steep side hill through the tree terrain.

There it is. That's what I'm saying. What's the gain with the Alpha? Traction? My last Axys sled had a Power Claw on it because that track is freakin' awesome. Tons of traction. Maybe the traction has more to do with the track, and not the skid...

I'm also not on board with the comments about tracks being a wear item, like tires on a truck. I don't want to have to replace a $1200 track every couple of years because all of the rods are broken from lack of rail support. They seem to elude to that in the video. What's been everyone's experience with this?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
You definitely can’t ride the alpha the same as a twin rail on steep set up snow, but it can be done with throttle control as madmax stated.

I can kinda see the analogy comparing tracks to tires as wear items as they essentially do the same job, but I would think of normal wear more so of paddles wearing down or maybe even ripping to an extent vs broken rods. Broken rods would be more like the belts coming apart in the tire and I’m pretty sure that’s not considered normal wear.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got some broken rods at just shy of 2k miles on my 20’ as I have a few paddles that are split right in line with the wheels and feel a bit flimsy if you push down on them when they’re over the wheels. Trying to prolong the track life I jumped on the bandwagon of the 4 wheel kit towards the end of last season and was actually surprised how much it helped the washing out in the spring. I think it splits the difference between the alpha and a 2 railer. Still more nimble than a twin rail, but more predictable and stable than an alpha.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
There it is. That's what I'm saying. What's the gain with the Alpha? Traction? My last Axys sled had a Power Claw on it because that track is freakin' awesome. Tons of traction. Maybe the traction has more to do with the track, and not the skid...

I'm also not on board with the comments about tracks being a wear item, like tires on a truck. I don't want to have to replace a $1200 track every couple of years because all of the rods are broken from lack of rail support. They seem to elude to that in the video. What's been everyone's experience with this?
the alpha's traction is another one-up over the old 3 pitch powerclaw/twin rail in the traction department. skid or larger pitch but probably both coming into play. Polaris guys seem ok with replacing tracks every couple years? I wouldnt be enthuised about that either tho. Id give the heavier 2.6 with all its extra rods some serious consideration. I bet it will hold up a lot better. Cut the extra fingers off maybe for weight and deep snow impovement.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I can't say I have wash out on my alpha 165. Only In that sub par usually spring time crusted top layer it shows up for me.

I've become a way better rider on my alpha by far and been, for me anyways decently aggressive tree lines and sidehilling for ever, it always goes where I want to and predictably. Maybe the 4 wheel kit helps some, I know with out it you, break the fiberglass rods over time and when that happens that track will certainly give out more and easier.

I'm sticking with my alpha/cat for the monorail lol, considering to even drop the big $$ on a solid kit and keep it another 3-4 years, still cheaper than buying a used 1-2 year old factory Doo or poo.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
There is alot of good info in that video. Keep it coming Cat. Looking for a demo ride and then back to Cat in '25....been waiting a long time.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
The “washes out in steep terrain” rings very true to me. I had a 19’ alpha and a 20’ twin rail the same year and rode them both a lot. The alpha rear just was not as predictable in the super steep side hill through the tree terrain. You had to be very careful with the throttle when you pushed it had to not wash out. The twin rail acted very similar and predictable to my matryx sleds. I’m hoping with the changes to the chassis on the catalyst the wash out tendency is less. The cat still has the best backcountry 3” of any manufacturer. I’ll definitely have a catalyst 858 next year.
This was my experience, i ride 154s so maybe it was exaggerated compared to a 165. The alpha was fun but i went back to polaris the next season. I would however like to ride the new cat

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Premium Features