• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The reason for all the 08-09 800 burn-downs??

C
Nov 26, 2007
dankorage
Havent any of you gotten too see your pistons or anything? The burned piston can tell us a alot about what happend before the burndown. I am leaning towards the clearance being out of whack on the piston, i dont ride an assault but here in AK everybody and there grandmother bought one and i ride with quite a few of them so im interested in what the deal is with them.

D
Dec 28, 2007
I run with no thermostat around 60 70 degrees no problems with 800 miles. It defiantly has a lot of cold going in on the cylinder.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
I don't even care anymore what cause's the problem's on my 08, it's back in the shop for the 4th set of piston's this year. The dealer took an 09 800 outa the box, put it together and told me to go ride, if it burns down they'll give me another. I'll just keep rotating sleds till they get them fixed! :p

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
just like STEVO10 said its the constant rpms they are holding ive seen lots between 5800 and 6800 burning down witch is around the rpm you would be running while running down the trail to get to you favorite riding spot with out burning lots of gas im here in alaska and in 10 days ive had 4 people that i know been towed out due to the motor. i personally bought the 700 cause i didnt want the headache. but now i now what the problem is i wouldnt have the problem cause its totally avoidable. i had a guy out of my friends toast 2 motors in 200 miles so we figured it was the rider so we rebuilt it one lasttime and the customer told me to ride it till it breaks . so far 525 miles now with out a problem. i just make sure to vary the rpms all the time if im cruzing...............oh and MARV1 your not having any problems because your running 600s

C

ckspeed

Dec 17, 2007
Malcolm, NE
Supposedly Poo is extending the warranty on the 8's for another year due to this problem and there's a reflash or something coming (or here already) soon.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
just like STEVO10 said its the constant rpms they are holding ive seen lots between 5800 and 6800 burning down witch is around the rpm you would be running while running down the trail to get to you favorite riding spot with out burning lots of gas im here in alaska and in 10 days ive had 4 people that i know been towed out due to the motor. i personally bought the 700 cause i didnt want the headache. but now i now what the problem is i wouldnt have the problem cause its totally avoidable. i had a guy out of my friends toast 2 motors in 200 miles so we figured it was the rider so we rebuilt it one lasttime and the customer told me to ride it till it breaks . so far 525 miles now with out a problem. i just make sure to vary the rpms all the time if im cruzing...............oh and MARV1 your not having any problems because your running 600s

It's not totally avoidable, the only time my sled is at a constant rpm is idle and wfo.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
If it were as simple as "one" problem this discussion would not be taking place and Polaris would already have the problem fixed. 3/4 of my rentals have had problems and one has 4200 miles with no problems. Explain that? Does this one have super pistons? I believe they have weak pistons, but there is more aggravating the problem, injectors programming etc. Yes i know the lean issue in the midrange. Why doesn't this sled have that problem. It's a rental. Many of it's miles were spent in the midrange. If it were just pistons, 4200 miles should have brought the problem out by now.

Flit-e

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Riverton, Mountain View..Wyoming
Supposedly Poo is extending the warranty on the 8's for another year due to this problem and there's a reflash or something coming (or here already) soon.

Yes everyone with an 800 getting the 2010 kit will be given a year or extended another year. The kit "should" be at the epa getting cert'd if it passes should have the kit out in 45-60 days. From how i understand it everyone 08-09 will be getting the kit.

Flit-e

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Yes everyone with an 800 getting the 2010 kit will be given a year or extended another year. The kit "should" be at the epa getting cert'd if it passes should have the kit out in 45-60 days. From how i understand it everyone 08-09 will be getting the kit.

Flit-e

Excuse me if I'm skeptical as hell. I have a sled that is awaiting a whole topend and fuel pump assembly that is due in on the 10th of april and then I'm supposed to get another kit 30-50 days after that? I just don't believe that Polaris is that happy to give me even more parts than they have already. If they do, I will sing their praises and would be happy to buy my 8th new Polaris, we will just have to wait and see.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I heard it was because they switched from a double ring to a single ring in the 800s. Has anyone else heard that?

Have you not read about all the other issues? Even with 2 ring pistons, the v.r. still frys the ECU and I will guarantee that I could burn my sled down with them. Stick to reading some more before posting.:rolleyes:

600xc4me

May 21, 2008
La Crete Alberta
Do you guys in the US also have to new reflash? We got a new one in March. My I know a guy who had his 09 D8 done, and he's not happy, the bog is fixed, but he says he lost a lot of power. In a drag race with a D7, he JUST takes it. His brother, who has the same sled, with out the latest reflash walks all over him. But the guy who didn't have it, now got it as well. He brought his sled in, (motor) And when he got it back his also had the new reflash, he's not to happy about it. My dealer should have my sled together today sometime, and I'm expecting I will be getting the flash as well. I'll take it out tomorrow and let you know how it feels. Power may be down, but if it lasts now till we get the real fix, then I'm fine with it.

S
Mar 31, 2009
Excuse me if I'm skeptical as hell. I have a sled that is awaiting a whole topend and fuel pump assembly that is due in on the 10th of april and then I'm supposed to get another kit 30-50 days after that? I just don't believe that Polaris is that happy to give me even more parts than they have already. If they do, I will sing their praises and would be happy to buy my 8th new Polaris, we will just have to wait and see.

According to the following letters from Polaris posted on these Hardcoresledder links, http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=414063 and http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=414941 you will get your sled fixed before the "final fix" is out so you can continue you ride. Not sure if they have been posted on here.

Good Luck,
Sledr

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
According to the following letters from Polaris posted on these Hardcoresledder links, http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=414063 and http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=414941 you will get your sled fixed before the "final fix" is out so you can continue you ride. Not sure if they have been posted on here.

Good Luck,
Sledr

I have seen them, I just don't quite believe them. Now if they do follow through with it, they will have a customer for a long time. I have already bought 8 Polaris sleds. If they don't get a permanent fix, I'll be riding a Cat. No sled is perfect, but so far 3 monoblocks and 8 pistons is jacked up!

D
IF it is the cooling sytem, then shouldn't it be all of them. I'd like to know what sleds have went down and with what mods. I'll start, 2008 700 rmk 155" HPS can, 19t gear, clutched, coated pipe and y-pipe, front heat exchanger removed, all the foam removed, panel and shock tower vents, went down with 2000 miles on it. Lets see it there are things in common with the ones that have went down(fuel box or no fuel box).

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
What would it take for Polaris to give all the D8 owners an extended engine warranty for AT LEAST 3 years.
I took a HUGE hit with my 06 900 and a few years latter, here I am again with a product that is rapidly loosing a good reputation and possibly becoming a less desirable product with a market value reflecting it's problems.
Polaris, maybe you should tell me why I should trust your product when I am shopping for my next sled...
FBF.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
IF it is the cooling sytem, then shouldn't it be all of them. I'd like to know what sleds have went down and with what mods. I'll start, 2008 700 rmk 155" HPS can, 19t gear, clutched, coated pipe and y-pipe, front heat exchanger removed, all the foam removed, panel and shock tower vents, went down with 2000 miles on it. Lets see it there are things in common with the ones that have went down(fuel box or no fuel box).

Great Idea you should start a new thread and list the format so everyone who lost one can enter thier info

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Anyone concidered that if you had some not so good quality gas then with the fact that the cooler heats the fuel thus taking away some of it's power combined with the ecu heat might this add to the problem. Maybe try venting the ecu with cool air

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
I have read this and well, the water in the tunnel isn't super cooled by a long stretch. Feel you tunnel when you stop it is very warm. The temperature in the cylinder will rise and then it will fall also shortly after. The fraction of a second after any water that is cooler than thermostat set temp hits the thermostat it closed and now you no longer have a big gush of warm water circulating around the cylinder. I don’t think the theory holds any water but this whole thread is just postulating anyway. Electrical failures have likely resulted in some of the failure but not all. The tell tale signs of a lean condition are present on both of my top end burn downs and no indication of an electrical issue has presented itself.

Now having dealt with after market fuel injection in my jeeps I can say that trying to crate a fuel map that works in all conditions is very difficult and that is why in most cars systems let a single sensor handle the majority about 70 to 80 percent of the fuel flow requirement (the O2 sensor). The other sensor only provide trimming for this 80 percent. Then if the MAP or Throttle position get out side of a certain range you run on a fuel curve map much like our sleds. There are variation on how this out side fuel map is handle but usually Manifold Absolute pressure or Mass Air Flow are used along with RPM.

Polaris as I understand based there map on RPM, and Throttle position for the main parameters with trimming from the pipe temp. To be able to map all possible riding condition and throttle positions and engine loads with these parameter seem very difficult to me, and I wonder if this isn't part of the issue. Just my two cents

I agree. Thanks for your insight. I guess the coolant thing doesn't seem to be the problem. I just want a solid fix to the problem so I can feel good about my $11,000 when riding up in the boonies with no hope of a tow in deep powder!

Premium Features