• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

THE NEW M.............

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Speaking of weight, how much is going to be stuck to those non-powder coated rails?

I just spent two years being indoctrinated by AC videos convincing me how clean powder coated aluminum stays.

Are they taking a lesson from polaris with the mindset now of "why bother, people are gonna buy this shlt anyway"?

Every M I looked at had powder coated rails

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Which model you looking at? I see white rails which I assume are powder coated on most of the models.

I thought they were white too but it doesn't look like the same color as what's on the rest of the sleds. I might be wrong but it looks like they gave up on the snopros. I know those are mostly CAD renderings but I thought I saw some texture on them.

Every M I looked at had powder coated rails

In person or just the limited versions on the website?

This is going to be like looking at a dress on different computer monitors. You see white, I see aluminum. The news media erupts. :D

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I see white on website, but the limited I am ordering has black rails so no issues for limited

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
M8000 SP skid pic from the dealer show. White powdercoat. Some of the trail models had natural aluminum rails, but all the M's were powdercoated.

type_a_positive

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mongo Norway
Soooooooo..... A little insider told me that rexnord/linkbelt is out of our chaincases, and Borg Warner is in.... Also the trihub now features replaceable bearings.

Last edited:

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
What the heck is a trihub and I have been running Team Hyvo gears in my Polaris so I know of Borg Warner from hotrods and such but not sleds. Is have BW gears and such a good thing?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Soooooooo..... A little insider told me that rexnord/linkbelt is out of our chaincases, and Borg Warner is in.... Also the trihub now features replaceable bearings.

Little insider?? that info is right on Cats website lol

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
What the heck is a trihub and I have been running Team Hyvo gears in my Polaris so I know of Borg Warner from hotrods and such but not sleds. Is have BW gears and such a good thing?

The tri-hub refers to the rear wheels in the skid that the track wraps around. they are bolted together in three places for more strength and to keep the two wheels running true to each other. Borg Warner makes the Hyvo chains. If that setup is in there for 16 instead of the silent chain, it is definitely a better deal. The silent chains are not as strong.

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Personally very pleased with the changes to the '16 Cats. My biggest issues have been with clutching and that fix is huge. Sure hope the Team setup works. They've fixed my biggest issues so I have to say good job to Cat for stepping up and making the changes they did. The wish list for an ideal sled is getting shorter. For '17, I would love to see a 25 lb diet, 2-3" narrower at the panels....and why not release that cleaner, more efficient 800? Seems pretty achievable at this point. Good job Cat! It's always smart to listen to your customer. Would love to see you take it the rest of the way....

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
Crazy to me they have a 36" stance, 34" if you want..... And in 2012 they released the proclimb with a 40" stance....

I've thought for a while more adjustability in width was overdue, but more for the Polaris than the cat. The proclimb rolls up so easy as is do you really need it narrower? Wouldn't you want the panels narrower before you narrowed the skis very far?

Premium Features