• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thanks Amber and Arctic Cat for the Proclimb Demo Clinic

K
Nov 27, 2007
Weight

Does anyone know the weight of any of any of the Arctic Cat sleds for 2012? I myself am a little skeptical of a new model that the manufacturer does not what you to test ride and they dont even wont to estimate a weight.

D

Daniel Boondocker

Dec 1, 2007
Idaho Falls
The new cat 4 stroke has a little different gas tank under the seat than the 2 stroke 800. It helps move a little more weight farther back to balance the sled but the front is still considerably heavier on the 4 than the 2.

It seems almost everyone agrees that when the 4 stroke turbo is headed uphill on throttle is when it shines. The proclimb suspension shines along with it to make a good package and helps make it more possible to climb in a little tighter trees. To me it almost had a lighter feel going uphill on heavy throttle than the 800 even though it still took more work???? Even when sidehilling uphill on throttle it felt great. More empowering than the 800 in that situation. Partly due to its torque and horse power that overcomes it’s weight. Maybe partly because in that situation the front weight is lifted up and more towards the rear making it even more balanced in the middle. Also maybe partly because the front track shock among other things seems to be set to an unusually high amount of transfer compared to a 2 stroke with a lighter front end, as evidenced by how it would push considerably more in turns going slower uphill in the trees when the skis weren’t firmly planted..

If this is true, then when does the extra front end weight become overpowering? For me it was in the opposite situation. When headed downhill. Especially sideways with one ski more downhill and susceptible to falling into a whole or hitting something with the uphill ski that caused the fall downhill even more. Going downhill through the trees definitely still will take more work and be more susceptible to bad situations than a lighter sled without that heavier front.

I’m sure this is old news to the 4 stroke guys. And the yami turbo riders don't seem to be hating on it.

I have to say it makes a surprising difference to have instruction on how to handle it. I can't believe how much difference it makes to have an instructor. I really like how Amber can explain the most basic principles in technical detail. It makes it clearer why such a basic technique matters so much and motivates you all the more to work on her simple drills to change your bad habits. It also makes you much more aware of what your bad habits are doing to you as you ride. You notice them often and immediately stop and work on what she taught you. Her instruction has made more of a difference in my riding in such a short time than I ever would have thought. Hope you don't mind me saying this Amber. One of her sleds last year was an 1000 turbo the other an 800. It sounded like she preferred the 1000 turbo. This year it sounds like it will be the 153 4 stroke turbo. She has to only weigh around 120??? Many have said how a big guy has an advantage on a big heavy sled over someone smaller. I've got 80 pounds and more height on her. I thought I could ride OK but she handles even that 162 hog better????

Last edited:
A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I rode with her last week. We had absolutely terrible snow conditions, so it was really hard to make a fair comparison to my current sled. I felt like I could do stuff on the Pro-Climb that I can do on my Pro-Ride, I just had to work a little harder to do it. I do remember when I rode the Pro-RMK for the first time I felt like it was a complete game changer. I didn't feel that way with the Cat, but that is probably because it handles pretty similar to the RMK. If they are half reliable I don't think you could go wrong with one. I will say that the non turboed 1100 was awful. I would leave that one out of the lineup on the next ride. Can't say enough good things about Amber, she was top notch. Had some really good insight on riding styles, situations, tips, tricks, etc. It was well worth it. Can't wait to see them in some good snow next year. It is going to be interesting.

Premium Features