• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Team Secondary 101

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
This is my first time owning a Cat with a set of Team Clutches and I want to get some information from you guys so I have a complete understanding of exactly how I dial these clutches in.

First off, I noticed that my set screw has been rubbing across the wear plate like many of you have also described. A decent amount of rubbing has occurred, yet I have not heard the terrible grinding noise you guys have described. I believe I saw a post where a guy had found a nylon tip that went over the end of this set screw. Is that the fix?

There is a set of of washers that lie in between the two sheaves. I am assuming this is for adjusting the offset correct? The deflection is adjusted with the bolt that screws in and set screw correct?

I am going to give these clutches a good cleaning while I have them out. I have always marked the sheaves so that they go back together as they came. But I read a few threads that claim that each sheave is balanced individually and it is not important which orientation the two sheaves go back together. Is this true? Reason I ask, would I be better to rotate the sheaves so the wear mark on the plate is on the opposite side?

I appreciate all the input fellas. I have always ran a cat and am 100% confident in the clutches from 05+, but these ones are slightly different.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
6a8931f57896e374a0ce751ab0a75570.jpg
2e915d5e70ff6ab8eca7905d0c0bdff4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
Got everything cleaned up and put back together. This clutch setup is so much different but in a positive light.

I like the fact you can split both sheaves in half by simply removing the bolt from the jack shaft. For a full cleaning, you still have to remove the helix bolts and pull the guts out of the inner sheave, but I just appreciate this design.

A stationary outer sheave and an inner sheave that essentially "floats" on the shaft. It occurred to me, that since this inside sheave is floating, and in now way "connected" to the outer sheave, a guy shouldn't have to worry about marking each sheave to align them when they go back together.

I was impressed with how the clutching was setup on this sled. The primary had a nice shiny ring near the outer surface of the clutch, indicating it was getting full shift. The secondary had a shiny ring near the inside diameter of the clutch. It was close to full shift at WOT, but not perfect yet.

This sled was setup for high elevation, since I picked it up in Island Park. It came with a set of 68g weights in the primary with a 250/??? spring I believe. The secondary has a 48* ST helix.

Spoke with Steve at MDS, and am probably going to pull the trigger on a set of MDS weights. I am now riding down at sea level, so I am going to up the weights in the primary and see how she runs. I am slightly hesitant since the setup seems to be working GOOD now, but what fun is riding without tuning?

I know there are guys on here with a ton of experience and have these clutches dialed in. Seems like a lot of these guys are riding in high altitude areas and not a ton down here at sea level. So my hope is to find a setup that works better than factory and share my experience with you guys.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i took and rounded off the deflector bolt from day one as to minimize the grinding on the plate. i was planning on doing it again when it looks like yours in the pic, but its nice to see the plate looks like a replaceable wear item.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I am going to ride this weekend and pull it back off next week and take a look at it. I've read that some guys aren't worrying about it and just riding. I am not sure how easily the plate would be replaced, but looks like it could be done. I am just surprised CAT or TEAM hasn't issued a repair bulletin for this yet.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
We will see. I know there were a couple guys working on a solution for this. One included a Delrin tip that was added, the other was Steve from MDS. I never did see a result of the solution.

Has anybody called Cat and attempted to warranty a secondary due to the deflection adjustment bolt?

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The dealer I go to said the 17s came with some updates on the rollers and something else. He said he would switch them out for me under warranty.

I know the demo mountain cats in the spring were still making the noise but are the ones being sold still making the noise?

M
Nov 30, 2014
Kremmling, co
My 16 is in the shop with 1460 miles. My secondary was replaced under warranty at 700 miles, and now it getting another brand new warranty clutch due to the wear plate and deflection bolt being all buggered up. We're trying to come up with a resolution for these problems and I'll keep you guys posted with whatever we figure out. It's been a bit of a headache, but I know I have the right guys working on it. Sleds getting a sidekick with a helium kit installed!

Premium Features