• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taiga electric sled sounds impressive to me!

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Also, I did just see the article on Doo's power cell version. , I'm guessing behind closed doors that BRP and Polaris are looking hard at this, much in the same way Ford is going to offer electrics to fend off the competition. For me, this is a very good thing. Yamaha won't challenge in the mountains anymore, and we need a disruptor to change the status quo.

Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Everything WILL go electric eventually, unless some other clean power source shows up that is better and honestly I’m excited for it! There are SO many performance advantages to electric motors. The weight will come down with newer technologies and battery technology is already getting better almost daily. I think those are the only two drawbacks right now and looking at the TS3, I think it might already be pretty close to being there. Yamaha for years has been pushing 4-stroke to be the next big change but electric will beat them to the finish line. Soon it will be a no brainer to switch imo. It will be ALL advantage to go electric and only disadvantage to keep the ice. Exciting times!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It would also hurt dealers. Many would close shop. No oil..belts..clutch parts..etc to sell. So not all positive. Order sled online on amazon. No need for a local shop

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
"It would also hurt dealers. Many would close shop. No oil..belts..clutch parts..etc to sell. So not all positive. Order sled online on amazon. No need for a local shop"

True, but no matter how much things are "maintenance free", stuff will break and things will get wrapped around trees...lol

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Really the weight isnt horrible compared to sleds 9-10 years ago. My turbo assault was 597 rtr. I dont see electric gaining huge moment anytime soon. But within the next 10-15 years im sure they will have a large mix of them. In the long run they seem more wasteful to me. I can go out and start my 1989 wildcat right up and as long as there is fuel around it should last my life time. No way the taiga will last that long.(battery wise)

Just waiting on Taiga to drop ship me the drivetrain. :cool:.

1.jpg

S
Dec 30, 2007
SD
Hopefully the belt is accessible incase you do run out of battery and need a tow. They didn't derate the range much from the trail to mountain version.

And who knows if the chassis is sorted at all. Some rider feedback will go along way. I do like the idea of this though. Ready to ride weighs are one thing but these won't pack any ice on the tunnel after riding

spec sheet:

Attachments

• Taiga electric 5319.pdf
    232.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Their spec sheet is garbage since it shows a 162 length only in the spec but the picture clearly shows a 154. The weight of the 162 mountain is lighter than the crossover 146 spec and the crossover picture also clearly shows a 137. I still want to ride one!!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
anyone else think they look a lot like a ski doo? the shape, tunnel, seat, bars even? wont suprise me if BRP buys them out soon, or sues them.
Lots of benefits to electric. How about allowing them in wilderness areas that are open to skiers and boarding.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
anyone else think they look a lot like a ski doo? the shape, tunnel, seat, bars even? wont suprise me if BRP buys them out soon, or sues them.
Lots of benefits to electric. How about allowing them in wilderness areas that are open to skiers and boarding.

Because the early ones were on an XP chassis. I would not doubt if it still is, or at least supplied by BRP.

And a buddy of mine is set up to ride a demo in Revy this spring.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Probably not. Electric bikes are not allowed in wilderness...

Sent it
good point. but maybe because bikes tear up the dirt? Its the biggest benefit i see for these. we have a big sensative area here that would be awesome to drop into and explore legally.
this sled should have a belt drive, no oil. edit, maybe is doesnt have a gear reduction at all.

matt159

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Southwest Iowa
Taiga's 580lb 2-person 180hp jet ski has a top speed of 65mph with a 23kWh battery & claims up to 2 hours of riding time.

I would imagine that pushing a jet ski over water at their "up to 2 hours" pace is similar to powder riding if it's the same size battery.

I didn't see pricing on sleds yet, but considering the very limited range and possibly adding $10K+ to the price of a snowmobile (Taiga's jet ski is $28,000 USD) it won't catch on in a big way anytime soon... but would be interesting to ride once for sure.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Taiga's 580lb 2-person 180hp jet ski has a top speed of 65mph with a 23kWh battery & claims up to 2 hours of riding time.

I would imagine that pushing a jet ski over water at their "up to 2 hours" pace is similar to powder riding if it's the same size battery.

I didn't see pricing on sleds yet, but considering the very limited range and possibly adding $10K+ to the price of a snowmobile (Taiga's jet ski is $28,000 USD) it won't catch on in a big way anytime soon... but would be interesting to ride once for sure.
Ouch....jet ski is much simpler to build with fewer moving parts ...sled would have to be competitively priced to compete otherwise will be a very niche market

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
And their pwc looks to be on a Spark chassis.
Must be buying base chassis from brp.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah

HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $28k for a jet ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, no way will the sled be priced to where ANYONE will buy one. By the time the big 3 (because yammi doesn't count imo, just a cat with different colors lol) get their electric sleds going, then MAYBE someone will actually start buying electric. Hopefully they can get the price down to where you don't have to mortgage your house to buy one... almost there now with 2-strokes already but this is nuts!! :rolleyes:

S
Jan 21, 2016
1. 180hp at ALL elevations, never starved for air in deep powder or has exhaust blocked making it choke

2. 5yr warranty with no maintenance (their claim only, I know), and includes battery (I believe). Better than a snow checked 4yr

3. 534lbs ready to ride (163 track?) that’s pretty comparable to ANY sled of similar track length full of gas, oil, and coolant

4. Claim to have 140km range which is almost 87 miles on the “extended range “ battery. Not sure about others but if I ride 60 miles in a day my body is out of gas before my sled is. I don’t do many back to back riding days but when I do it is even less likely I’m staying overnight somewhere without power to plug in.

The drawbacks I see are:

1. Probably really expensive (compared to a gas poo, doo, cat, or ) but none of us are frugal to begin with riding snowmobiles lol

2. Nearby dealers for stuff that can and will break (still going to hit rocks, stumps, and trees on occasion)

3. Still not really tested by the general public being new, but some people will be guinea pigs (always those out there lol)

4. Kind of the same as 3, but how is the ride? Sidehill? Handling overall. Demos need to be done everywhere.

What else am I missing?
Thoughts?

how much torque. big difference between torque and horse power

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
how much torque. big difference between torque and horse power
True, but a big advantage of the electric motor versus an ICE is that an electric produces maximum torque at 1 rpm and maintains it all the way up to whatever they turn. Why do you think the electric cars are so flipping fast 0-60? Torque, not hp. It would be good to see torque comparisons but low and mid-range on the electric should kill most if not all ICE motors on sleds.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
800-850cc 2 strokes peak torque ~100-110lb-ft... HP is ~165

Top fuel dragster has more than 10,000 HP and at least 7,400 lb-ft of torque. Worlds fastest Electric dragster has only 5,000 HP but 17,000 lb-ft of torque...

ICE, Electric.... different world when it come to HP-TQ relationships

Sent it

Premium Features