• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Suggestion for - Montana/West Yellow Stone Riding area.

I
Oct 15, 2017
Hi Friends,

I am trying to dig into possible places to ride in - Montana/West Yellowstone area.

My Snowmobile background is very limited at this time - Did some riding in - Wisconsin plane fields for couple of hours one time.

I am attending some back country riding clinics in colorado possibly early december.

Giving the facts - I intend to get some back country riding experience and i am reading so much about - Montana/Yellow Stone area riding opportunity.

Please suggest some suitable back country area - where I can have some solid fun after i complete the - clinic.

Although I am not a very snomobile savvy but I am into many sports and pretty much active through out the year. So physical challenge should not be a problem.

I am looking to get some good solid hill climb experience and some deep powder as well.

Regards
indianscout

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If you are going to stay in west yellowstone there is a pretty awesome trail network that will get you into some scenic and fun terrain. The two top area is probably the easiest from town or you can also head out towards lionshead. Both areas are easy to access via groomed trails but do allow ease of access into much more techincal terrain as you see fit. "

Are you heading out with a group or just by yourself. Renting sleds or do you have your own?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If you are going to stay in west yellowstone there is a pretty awesome trail network that will get you into some scenic and fun terrain. The two top area is probably the easiest from town or you can also head out towards lionshead. Both areas are easy to access via groomed trails but do allow ease of access into much more techincal terrain as you see fit. "

Are you heading out with a group or just by yourself. Renting sleds or do you have your own?

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I race motocross and ride dirtbike a few times a week and go to the gym. And physical challenge is still a problem haha. Between the altitude, deep snow, heavy machines, constantly moving on the sled is is extremely physical.

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
You'll have a better time if you get with a guide service. Quite a few available. I'd recommend Ace Powder guides at HiCountry. I've rode my whole life, but last year we had a guide (TMac) and it was a great experience for our group. You may also want to consider a Yellowstone tour on snowmobile.

Have fun and welcome to the snow addiction!

Last edited:

bk5

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
You'll have a better time if you get with a guide service. Quite a few available. I'd recommend Ace Powder guides at High Country. I've rode my whole life, but last year we had a guide (TMac) and it was a great experience for our group. You may also want to consider a Yellowstone tour on snowmobile.

Have fun and welcome to the snow addiction!

I have not hired a guide but have done other business with Ace and you can't go wrong with them they are a top notch outfit.

Stumpy

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I would suggest starting this thread in the Idaho section too. You just may end up riding both areas. Don't forget trail passes.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
There are a number of places to go from West Yellowstone. If you stay in Island Park you have even more options. Quite a few of the places that you will get to from West are in Idaho on the Island Park system.

You can go around the Black Canyon Loop. It has a bunch of play areas with some tree riding, drainages and meadows to play in. It isn't very extreme and you can have a ton of fun without getting yourself into too much trouble.

Two top is kind of the same way with some tree riding, some smaller hills and some drainages to play in. If the weather is cloudy or foggy it isn't a very good place to go because it can be a real bear to get across the really wide open areas up there.

Lion Head will get you into some bigger hills and climbing opportunities. Lots of tree riding and drainage areas. Same problem as Two Top that the fog can make it difficult to get around when it is socked in. Has enough elevation that you can get into trouble if you don't know where you are going.

Mount Jefferson/Sawtelle/Hell Roaring Canyon/Reas Peak. Big hills, tree riding, drainages and tons of areas to play. Has no trail system so you had better know where you are going or you will get into trouble. However it has tons of opportunities to test your riding skills and sled capabilities. Great place to go when the weather is bad as you can stick to the lower elevations and play in the trees and lower open meadows all day long.

Keg Springs area. West of Mount Jefferson. End of the Yale Kilgore Road. Can be as easy of a ride as you want it to be if you stay up high it is a bunch of rolling hills kind of like the Two Top meadows. Or you can drop into and work your way out of an almost endless amount of creeks, drainages and small tree covered hillsides. Can be hard to get around in bad visibility as there is no trail system. You just have to know where you are going.

Send me a pm and I could show you around some of these areas.

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
West riding areas...

Lotsa good spots as has been already noted above.

I Black canyon, Two top and great and quickly accessed.

Cabin creek and Teepee basin are super areas as well. much longer trailer ride to access though.

Lions Rock can be good as well. A lot of peeps get scared off because of the high avy danger at time but there are lotsa safe riding areas over that way.

I like going to West as there is lotsa riding and you can ride your sled in town and forget about your truck for a while... :)

Premium Features