• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Streak marks at full shift out on secondary

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Maybe 100-400miles. I dunno if you ride like a girl or not so that is a factor.
The clutch is nice and clean but the rust color indicates a vibration issue. It’s called “fretting.” The more rust coloured dust, the more vibration issue you have.
I’d toss that Zrp wimpy cover tho and get an 911 cover. The 911 cover has a much bigger bushing, thicker cover, more meat and larger diameter bushing/post
holds the clutch together more solid.
In a nutshell, the clutch you are so proud of of has already weakened cuz you ran the stock cover for a little bit. The seed has been planted.
I give your clutch maybe 1000miles if you ride hard, 2000 if you ride like a girl. Start saving $25/month for a future new clutch.View attachment 340932
See... that's the unnecessary, rude digging, that i was talking about.
U already know from other posts of mine that this is a new clutch and only ~100 miles and that i ran the stock cover for 2 rides to get a baseline before swapping the ZRP cover on the hill......

Referring to my riding as "like a girl" is unnecessary and doesn't help anyone.
It doesn't bother me but makes u look like a dickk trying to start a fight.

I was honestly hoping that u wouldn't be a Dickk and we could all learn together, that is why i am a member of snowest so, we can all learn from each other.

Sent it

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
See... that's the unnecessary, rude digging, that i was talking about.
U already know from other posts of mine that this is a new clutch and only ~100 miles and that i ran the stock cover for 2 rides to get a baseline before swapping the ZRP cover on the hill......

Referring to my riding as "like a girl" is unnecessary and doesn't help anyone.
It doesn't bother me but makes u look like a dickk trying to start a fight.

I was honestly hoping that u wouldn't be a Dickk and we could all learn together, that is why i am a member of snowest so, we can all learn from each other.

Sent it
You asked me how many miles I thought the clutch had so I answered.

I removed the girl comment in case someone gets butthurt.
You said you wanted to learn so I taught you about fretting and looking for belt dust buildup. No need to get butthurt about your clutch. You can learn and head off a problem b4 your clutches look like kidwoos.
Now it’s your turn to teach me something like you said you would. I am into learning also.
I see by the button marks that you have been reaching close to full shift out. I’d be cool to how those correspond with the primary sheave belt marks. Post a pic of the primary sheave and let’s see if we can track down the belt dust issue. We can start over with a fresh sheet of paper. Deal?
What weights and spring are you running?
What elevation? What is riding style? How much do you weigh?

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I got 1,100 miles on the first belt and a couple strings broke. Didn't pull and hang out. If i hadn't inspected my belt after every ride, i would not have seen this break and would have had a nasty mess.
Before 2018 clutches. I would average 250miles per belt, all the way back to my first 800cc sled in 2005. Polaris, Skidoo and Cat.
A little extra black in the bottom as i had to ride the sled onto the garage on one cylinder and it barely had enough power to engage the clutch in a propper manner.
b84de2e11f78788560acc575bce09065.jpg

Sent it

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Another pic of the bolt "filling with belt dust"View attachment 340934

Sent it
Heehee, I stand corrected. Not quite “filled”. I agree.

That’s the thing about the new cat clutches. They don’t last, they are cheaply constructed, they explode but the belts last longer than other brands. They shouldn’t work but they do. It’s weird. Did you take your clutch ring off?

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Heehee, I stand corrected. Not quite “filled”. I agree.

That’s the thing about the new cat clutches. They don’t last, they are cheaply constructed but the belts last longer than other brands. They shouldn’t work but they do. It’s weird. Did you take your clutch ring off?
It came without the metal ring. (1.3lbs)
I want to swap mine off my bad clutch but don't want to without sending it off to be balanced. It's bad enough that i already swapped covers without balancing.

Did u notice the permanent marker?

Sent it

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Hey no I didn’t. Thx for that. That’s pretty high on the primary for the short belt issue. Cool. Hmmmm. That’s what makes me think there’s an issue with kid wood setup. Yours is high but his is 5/8” or more lower and he is bottoming out. Love that tidbit of info!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Hey no I didn’t. Thx for that. That’s pretty high on the primary for the short belt issue. Cool. Hmmmm. That’s what makes me think there’s an issue with kid wood setup. Yours is high but his is 5/8” or more lower and he is bottoming out. Love that tidbit of info!
Mine is an Alpha, no short belt issue.

Sent it

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
That’s the thing about the new cat clutches. They don’t last, they are cheaply constructed, they explode but the belts last longer than other brands. They shouldn’t work but they do. It’s weird. Did you take your clutch ring off?

show me some pictures of Proclimbs with exploded clutches.

ps, you took kidwoo waaaayyyy wrong. throw your weed in the trash, its not working.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
Kidwoo. Sorry I won’t add to the thread anymore than suggest a good cleaning and a new secondary spring. It’s just not worth saying anything more.

Cat forums for a decade were positive and helpful. Then Kanedog bought one. Now I’ve pretty well left forums other than snowbike threads, which are very positive and helpful. Kanedog, please don’t buy one.

Truth is, you are knowledgeable, but you aren’t helpful. You come across as a complete derogatory arrogant prick. I’ll ask nicely again, please buy a skidoo and leave us positive helpful cat people alone.

You are the type of dude that gets brow-beat by his significant other daily, so he's the first guy at work in the morning, so he can make the coffee way too strong for anybody to be able drink it,
just so he wins a battle everyday.

Change your delivery, leave out the cynicism and superiority, help us out, or just don’t bother.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Kidwoo. Sorry I won’t add to the thread anymore than suggest a good cleaning and a new secondary spring. It’s just not worth saying anything more.

Cat forums for a decade were positive and helpful. Then Kanedog bought one. Now I’ve pretty well left forums other than snowbike threads, which are very positive and helpful. Kanedog, please don’t buy one.

Truth is, you are knowledgeable, but you aren’t helpful. You come across as a complete derogatory arrogant prick. I’ll ask nicely again, please buy a skidoo and leave us positive helpful cat people alone.

You are the type of dude that gets brow-beat by his significant other daily, so he's the first guy at work in the morning, so he can make the coffee way too strong for anybody to be able drink it,
just so he wins a battle everyday.

Change your delivery, leave out the cynicism and superiority, help us out, or just don’t bother.
It’s cool to read your opinion. Truth is, 99%of the time I don’t mean to be a dick when I post. I get really focused and intense on the subject at hand. I’m not smarter or better than anyone else. My thought process is different as I look at a problem from like ten different angles. That’s why I ask so many questions and ask for pics. It’s not on purpose that it comes across as arrogant. I’ll work on my delivery.
That being said, here’s some dickk words for you.

Who tf are you to tell me to get off the Cat section? Who tf made you a spokesman? You? You are trying to bully me by making yourself a self appointed representative of some invisible group. That’s classic internet bullying and forum rules don’t allow it. Screw u buddy. You ain’t gonna bully me, I’ll tell you that rt now. I’m a master of the mental. You, are not. Bully anyone but me. It’s simple. You left the forums because of what KD writes? Bahahahaha. Are you a crybaby or millennial? I’m the one that gets brow beat daily? I think that’s you. Get a life, block me or stay off the internet if you let a post ruin your day. I’ve done my best to ruin your day. Enjoy thinking of me today. Go get pissed at someone else. Blame someone else for your significant other issues.

Yep, I have a snowbike. I’ll go post a bunch over there just for your own enjoyment.

Furthermore, Kid goo can pound sand. I asked questions to help him and he gave me smart ass answers. Now he can fight with his issue and be frustrated. He shoulda thought of that b4 being a smart ass. He’s done something that he knows is wrong with his sled. Not my fault. Go hug each other. Kumbaya girls, kumbaya. Enjoy your cofffee. Bahahahaha

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008

All good. Spring and some other bits should be here this week. I should have done this when I went through my primary last but I was in a cheap mood.

Just ignore kanedog. I mostly do. This thread has already happened with him a zillion times. And truth be told, I've watched him be so completely wrong about things while acting like this, I was already pretty much glossing over anything he posts. Just look at the multi-post tantrum from one post of mine. Not a grounded human.

J
Dec 19, 2023
new mexico
I got 1,100 miles on the first belt and a couple strings broke. Didn't pull and hang out. If i hadn't inspected my belt after every ride, i would not have seen this break and would have had a nasty mess.
Before 2018 clutches. I would average 250miles per belt, all the way back to my first 800cc sled in 2005. Polaris, Skidoo and Cat.
A little extra black in the bottom as i had to ride the sled onto the garage on one cylinder and it barely had enough power to engage the clutch in a propper manner.
b84de2e11f78788560acc575bce09065.jpg

Sent it
I switched over from Polaris and got a 2023 summit turbo and my clutch looks like this after i reversed it off the trailer is this normal for these sleds? BELT DEFLECTION IS GOOD AND THE BELT IS NEW.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I switched over from Polaris and got a 2023 summit turbo and my clutch looks like this after i reversed it off the trailer is this normal for these sleds? BELT DEFLECTION IS GOOD AND THE BELT IS NEW.
Yes.
If ur just above engagement, and moving around slowly, the belt doesn't have time to completely engage and clean off marks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Yes.
If ur just above engagement, and moving around slowly, the belt doesn't have time to completely engage and clean off marks.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
The marks are annoying and I feel like failure when I get them! Haha

Premium Features