• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Steering on Alpha

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
Has anyone else noticed that the steering on the cats is a lot harder then the ones on the ski doos? i have tried a few different things (changing it to gear it down but then it doesn't turn as much so turning around stucks) pushing the stock skid down to get less ski pressure. It still is not turning as easy as the ski-doo's. its probably something that is a stupid easy fix. and yes i have greased everything and even on a brand new sled this problem exists i feel. any input?

fudge313

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2015
Finland
Its the hole setup why its harder.. Cats are going like nose on the ground.. Its good for powder, hard on the rails

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
It's definitely worse on a new sled. I put a new steering post setup in a couple years ago and with the sled up on the stand the steering felt stiff. I ended up sanding off the paint on the bushing surfaces and it freed things up noticeably.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
On the basis of steering effort the cat is the hardest of all 3 brands for sure. That said it could also be the ski's, I haven't looked but the doos bottom is more u shaped near the spindle area, I think cats are more flap bottomed.

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
That is my biggest complaint with the chassis. Steering is stiff and they don’t turn near as short as a doo. I have tried a few things like more spring pressure on front skid shocks and lengthening the limiter strap but that causes it to wheelie in the snow. So I guess we just deal with it? Are the alphas worse then the ascender twin rail?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Is the amount of steering effort required proportional to the sleds actual turning ability (ie - does a smaller turning diameter equal more steering effort)?

Another sled may require less effort to turn the bars but does that sled turn as sharp. That is what I am getting at. I once installed a non-carbide wear bar on my skis and the steering effort was much less but the sled didnt turn very well on hard snow.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
if its binding with skis up in the air, check the bellcrank bolt down in the nose. mine used to bind up until i tightened it up.
other than that stock skis are long and skinny with a really deep keel, SLP mohawks will solve this issue also

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Is the amount of steering effort required proportional to the sleds actual turning ability (ie - does a smaller turning diameter equal more steering effort)?

Another sled may require less effort to turn the bars but does that sled turn as sharp. That is what I am getting at. I once installed a non-carbide wear bar on my skis and the steering effort was much less but the sled didnt turn very well on hard snow.
It can be. That's why I run powder pros in the early and mid-season when the snow is loose and fluffy. Turns and floats better and the extra effort isn't as noticeable in the softer snow conditions. I swap the G2 cat skis on in the spring. They slip, slide, and push a little more but easier to steer.

R
Feb 26, 2008
Theres a lot of extra joints and linkage not found in other steering setups.
The laydown post makes them easier to turn ( if youre ok with that setup).

Premium Features