• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Speedometer/Odometer Reading Double

B
Nov 26, 2007
My 2013 PC 8 I bought this year as a holdover has read double on both speedometer and odometer since new. Just had dealer replace speed sensor and do gear update and nothing changed. Anyone have any similar issues or ideas where the problem might be? It is set for MPH not KPH. TIA

blob

hotrod

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
speedo

i have a 2014 m8000 and i had issues with my spedo on sunday. it would only do it while wide open. needle would peg out and all of the digital part was light up. did it for a few miles and then stopped. took it to the dealer and they found nothing. not sure if theses problems could be related?

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
i have a 2014 m8000 and i had issues with my spedo on sunday. it would only do it while wide open. needle would peg out and all of the digital part was light up. did it for a few miles and then stopped. took it to the dealer and they found nothing. not sure if theses problems could be related?

My 14 is doing the same thing under normal riding; Hard to fine issue with no codes. I assume bad gauge,ccu or wire harness grounding; If someone figures this out chime in.

Lank Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
Izznis's gauge re-flash may fix it? Maybe pm him, he might know something about it with all the work he's done on them.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
My 14 is doing the same thing under normal riding; Hard to fine issue with no codes. I assume bad gauge,ccu or wire harness grounding; If someone figures this out chime in.

Gauge is resetting while you are riding. When restarted it cycles the needle and lights up the LCD completely.

I used to have this problem with my original gauge. My thoughts are that since at least 3 people have had the problem it likely is a software bug. A lot of people probably miss it too.

My original gauge ended up being left on a trailer and flying off while going 65mph on 694, so I wasn't able to tell if it would randomly reset after my reflash, but I've never observed a reflashed gauge reset itself like that either.

I can tell you though that if I had a bug during development of the reflash, the classic reaction is to reset the MCU because of an illegal op code, which is the equivlent of a blue screen on a PC.

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
If it is a software bug with the stock software causing it to reset it wouldn't be the only bug. For sure on the 09 gauges, but maybe on even late build ones, if you turn the sled off while setting the clock or altimeter it puts the gauge in a state where the clock or altimeter keeps flashing, and the set button doesn't work.

I can fix those gauges by reflashing them btw.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Thanks - What is your current turn around time for the relfash with afr option?

I ship them back the next day after I receive the gauge. The AFR kits will be available by mid next week I believe, but the reflash that supports the kit is available now.

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
Changed gauges does the same thing. I still think it's the ccu. If someone finds out let us know.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Changed gauges does the same thing. I still think it's the ccu. If someone finds out let us know.

The CCU and ECU never see the speedo signal as far as I know. It is either the sensor, the magnets, the wire, or the gauge. It's a weakish signal in the first place, so interefence could be playing into it.

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
I guess that makes somewhat sense. But would this cause the gauge to reset? That's the best way to describe it. Needle goes up dummy lights go on. Then go off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I guess that makes somewhat sense. But would this cause the gauge to reset? That's the best way to describe it. Needle goes up dummy lights go on. Then go off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Ah, you are talking about the random reset.

If two gauges do the same thing it tells me there is likely a bug in the stock software. Likely all gauges do this, but people often don't notice. The other option is perhaps the power to the gauge is flaky enough that it resets it, but that seems unlikely...

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
The gauge is off my wife sled and her sled doesn't do this. I guarantee anyone would see my issue because it's so annoying. I guess I'll start chasing the power wire.

Buz

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Vancouver, Wa
It also flashed ccu once but no code. So I'm still wonder about trying a replacement or could the gauge power wire do this? ?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Just got my sled back from the dealer and the problem of odometer showing double miles and speedometer showing double speed is fixed. Replaced speed sensor and no help. Then changed the plug on the end of the driveshaft that contains the magnets that the speed sensor reads and that fixed the problem. Thanks to Sno Pro Man on HCS for pointing me in the right direction for the fix.

rockymtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2010
gods country, bc
Does anyone know which way the magnets are suppose to be? I had them out accidentally when I did my belt drive. Put them back in with the tops repelling each other and now I have no speedo.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
I had a conversation...

Does anyone know which way the magnets are suppose to be? I had them out accidentally when I did my belt drive. Put them back in with the tops repelling each other and now I have no speedo.
Talked to Kevin @ C3 yesterday - the magnets have to be opposite each other, meaning one + and one - facing out. Having both one way will result in no speedo, or the speedo will read double as the pickup senses both. Hope this helps you.

B
Jan 30, 2023
Canada
Gauge is resetting while you are riding. When restarted it cycles the needle and lights up the LCD completely.

I used to have this problem with my original gauge. My thoughts are that since at least 3 people have had the problem it likely is a software bug. A lot of people probably miss it too.

My original gauge ended up being left on a trailer and flying off while going 65mph on 694, so I wasn't able to tell if it would randomly reset after my reflash, but I've never observed a reflashed gauge reset itself like that either.

I can tell you though that if I had a bug during development of the reflash, the classic reaction is to reset the MCU because of an illegal op code, which is the equivlent of a blue screen on a PC.
You ever find a fix for this mine is doing the same thing? Thank I’m advance!

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Send it to Next Stage Guages for the reflash. Makes the guage much better ins so many ways and will probably fix your problem if it is in the guage.

Premium Features