• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sorry Polaris riders, Snowest "experts",say you're on the wrong sled

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
How many of you guys are switching to the Ski-Doo Expert after reading the 2020 Deep Powder Challenge article from the latest Snowest magazine? Seems like every year we see the Ski-Doo crowned king of the hill by Steve Jaynes and his crew of test riders. I don't have data on the number of sleds sold in the mountain segment but every time a glance at the number of those viewing the Snowest forums there's almost twice as many viewing Polaris as there is Ski-Doo or Cat. So, that must mean a lot of you are confused about which sled is best. The "front end heavy" Cat really took a beating in this years challenge...those Cat riders must really be confused. I'm sure these "experts" got them straightened out and got them convinced how "user friendly " the Expert is and what "amazing things" it will do.
Steve Jaynes said this about the Expert, "I would rate the Ski-Doo top in handling and fun factor. You can ride it all day long and you won't be tired." That is a truly amazing claim, you Cat and Polaris guys must be tough dudes wrestling those beasts you ride all day.
What I find strange is how many of you just haven't recognized the superiority of this amazing machine. Have you not noticed the almost "power steering" feeling you get from Ski-Doos amazing steering design? I don't know why you don't appreciate the predictability of this extreme forward chassis in drifted or rutted out snow? I would think it would remind you of the old days of riding your 3 wheelers. Or, maybe you just haven't learned to appreciate that super flexy, almost noodley, chassis design? Even though it won't hold as steep of a side hill as the Polaris it does it with such ease, you sure won't be tired at the end of the day. And the amazing Ski-Doo 850 linear power that is just incredible, even though you can't really appreciate it because it's so linear it really feels...well flat.
I just felt bad that so many of you are confused. Maybe you will get your sled purchases figured out next year and we will see a few more people viewing that Ski-Doo forum, I hear it's lonely over there. Heck, listen to Steve Jaynes enough and you might even save some money and buy a 600, I hear they're awesome. ??

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I think your ski doo experts are basically ski doo riders. I just can't get used to the "tank" front heavy feeling of a Ski Doo.. Good luck with it tho.. I am sure it is an ok sled.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
It is not a deep powder challenge anymore. It is more about ad dollars and participation trophies. The other thing is who cares. One persons opinion.
That was kind of the point. A sample of 4 riders with their impressions when it appears there are a lot of people (Polaris and Cat riders) who disagree. So what's the point when there's not a single negative thing said about Ski-Doo? Cat must have really short changed them on the ad dollars this year. I'd certainly buy an Alpha before a Doo, just my rider impression.
I used to like the old days when they did speed runs, hill climb comparisons etc. This seems almost pointless now.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I still like their reviews.
I like everyone's reviews.
I listen to what they say and try to determine their riding style. If it's similar to mine then their opinion may be valuable....

Not everyone has the same riding style, doesn't make anyone better or worse than anyone else..... just different. I am actually very happy that we are all so different in riding styles... if not, we would all be fighting over the same hills and trees. The different styles require different areas to ride, opens up the mountain for more people....

These guys are definitely biased toward Doo but that is what they like. We shouldn't make fun of them because of that. (Ok, maybe a little bit...lol)

Sent it

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Ski Doo is a better sled for the majority. Feels like it makes way more power and doesn't look like it was put together with spare parts from your grandpa's collection of old sleds. The Ski Doo also seems to be a lot more reliable in my experience. That all being sled the Polaris is a very specific snowmobile and definitely gets around a lot better than a Ski Doo in serious technical terrain, so I ride a Polaris. All matters what you are into and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I suggest anyone not into serious Backcountry riding should get a Ski Doo.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Long time Doo rider here. Its a good sled, runs well and very peppy on the low end. But the doo is such a pain in the arse to work on, especially the clutching. If you are not pushing the limits and just like to get out you will be happy.

1st winter on a Axys and I wonder why I waited so long to own one. It just flat out goes better in the snow and technical riding than the doo, especially steep sidehills and crossing old tracks. Clutching is leaps and bounds better on the Poo, from access to heat. My only gripe with Poo is they run dirtier than the Doo there is a new flash out so will try that. Lots of black puffs when its hammered on. The Poo is lighter/more agile/better riding position.

And many comment on fit n finish or plastic quality, I really don't care about that. My sled is full of tree sap and pieces of bark and branchs everywhere. Bought it to use it.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
Ski Doo is a better sled for the majority. Feels like it makes way more power and doesn't look like it was put together with spare parts from your grandpa's collection of old sleds. The Ski Doo also seems to be a lot more reliable in my experience. That all being sled the Polaris is a very specific snowmobile and definitely gets around a lot better than a Ski Doo in serious technical terrain, so I ride a Polaris. All matters what you are into and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I suggest anyone not into serious Backcountry riding should get a Ski Doo.

I agree with this 100% I tried the skidoo for a year and a half the sled was great in a lot of ways even better then Polaris in many instances but my number one goal snowmobiling is to become a really good back country rider. One ride with Cody Monroe and I realized it was going to be extremely difficult if not impossible to get there on a Ski Doo. Having said that I think the Ski Doo is a better all around snowmobile.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
In our group there's 4 doos and 2 poos, all new 850s, we are , GOAT riders ,,live in sicamous area and ride 2-3 times a week, the poos hold thier own in the steep and deep, can't say one is better than the other, the poos are faster, , one Doo blew up his motor, one spun his driver's on the shaft, torn lugs on 2 tracks , one blown belt and check engine lights , these guys have lost weeks in riding due to breakdowns and have spent 1000s in repairs, my self I had a broken tss switch wire that I fixed on the trail and my coolant temp sensor read 20 deg off, a 40$ fix, so are the doos more reliable?? You tell me.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
If majority of your riding is meadows and cutblocks the doo is pretty hard to beat. Any of the 55+ yr old riders I know enjoy riding the doo 850 over the Polaris or Cat. Technical terrain is very rider based and any of the new sleds can perform well in the steep stuff. The big difference is an Axys provides the rider with more confidence in steep terrain and is less fatiguing to ride in steep terrain.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
If majority of your riding is meadows and cutblocks the doo is pretty hard to beat. Any of the 55+ yr old riders I know enjoy riding the doo 850 over the Polaris or Cat. Technical terrain is very rider based and any of the new sleds can perform well in the steep stuff. The big difference is an Axys provides the rider with more confidence in steep terrain and is less fatiguing to ride in steep terrain.
Really the point of this post was to see if I was crazy because I really haven't liked the Ski-Doo chassis. I was curious to see what other Polaris guys thought about the reviews and what your experience has been with Doo. Clearly, they are a good sled and I applaud some of their innovation. But, not a single negative thing about a sled that to me has some serious chassis design issues just seems like bias.
Plus, I wanted to stir the pot a little, it's been kind of boring around here lately.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I like this thread because it seems like guys are answering honestly and not bashing brands. Giving credit where credit is due. And i do agree the Doo is good but not for pushing your skills to the most advanced terrain. You need an AXYS for that.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah this thread is great!

I started sledding 6 seasons ago and have only ever owned Polaris so jumping on a different brand can seem totally foreign. I started on the Pro Chassis and then went to the Axys when it first came out. I have ridding buddies who ride ski doo and love them. We've switched sleds often and everytime I ride a skidoo I want back on my Axys within minutes. The last Ski doo I rode was an expert about a month ago. The steering is actually way lighter than the Axys (non Khaos) but once we got to where it was techinical I didn't feel confident on the ski doo and switched back to my Axys. I feel that the Tmotion and flex edge track is a major downside when it comes to riding technical terrain. I really liked the motor of the ski doo and their track flat hooks up (Utah Powder). I then rode a Khaos that same day and the steering felt almost as light as the skidoo so that will most likely be my next sled. From what I've seen it's much easier for a skidoo guy to ride an Axys and feel comfortable quickly than it is for a Polaris guy to ride a Skidoo.

One of my buddies switched from an Axys to an Alpha and I've spent a lot of time riding with him and riding his sled back to back with my Axys (2018 800) and one things for sure... that skid and track flat out work!!! I was almost ready to sell my Axys and buy an Alpha because of how well the Alpha does in super technical terrain despite the fact that the front end is still way to fat. I switched out my 155 skid for a 162 and put a Camso 2.7 track on it and I feel like this is one of the best set ups so I'm definitely sticking with Polaris.

If I couldn't ride Polaris I'd be on an Alpha.. No Question (with a few upgrades)!!

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
so are the doos more reliable?? You tell me.

One person's experience will certainly not tell the true story of what happens in the greater scheme of things.

In response to the original post..Seems like that article really confused you. Just so you know, no one is wrong when they express their opinion.. That opinion may change in time, but they still aren't wrong. If you feel good about what you ride, that's great.. Just enjoy it and try not to worry about what anyone else thinks of you for doing so.

Like others have said, money was probably involved. However, as absurd as it may seem to you its also possible that he likes the Summit more than the others. :)

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
One person's experience will certainly not tell the true story of what happens in the greater scheme of things.

In response to the original post..Seems like that article really confused you. Just so you know, no one is wrong when they express their opinion.. That opinion may change in time, but they still aren't wrong. If you feel good about what you ride, that's great.. Just enjoy it and try not to worry about what anyone else thinks of you for doing so.

Like others have said, money was probably involved. However, as absurd as it may seem to you its also possible that he likes the Summit more than the others. :)
Actually what confuses me is how anyone could conclude the Ski-noodle is the best mountain sled year after year. But like you said, they are entitled to their opinion just as I am entitled to examine that opinion. I would respect the opinion more if it had both pros and cons of each sled, because they ALL have both.

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Actually what confuses me is how anyone could conclude the Ski-noodle is the best mountain sled year after year. But like you said, they are entitled to their opinion just as I am entitled to examine that opinion. I would respect the opinion more if it had both pros and cons of each sled, because they ALL have both.
I agree.

I've had both and loved them for different reasons. They both have their flaws though like you say.

Premium Features