• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sorry Polaris riders, Snowest "experts",say you're on the wrong sled

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
For me, no one sled is perfect. I like many things about the Doos, Poos, and Cats. It is fun to try other stuff too.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I’m a Polaris guy all the way I have a 2020 850 NA I have rode the new Doo Turbo and I can tell you this if you ride with guys on the the new Doo above 8000ft to 12000ft you will be bummed you will get left behind

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
How many of you guys are switching to the Ski-Doo Expert after reading the 2020 Deep Powder Challenge article from the latest Snowest magazine? Seems like every year we see the Ski-Doo crowned king of the hill by Steve Jaynes and his crew of test riders. I don't have data on the number of sleds sold in the mountain segment but every time a glance at the number of those viewing the Snowest forums there's almost twice as many viewing Polaris as there is Ski-Doo or Cat. So, that must mean a lot of you are confused about which sled is best. The "front end heavy" Cat really took a beating in this years challenge...those Cat riders must really be confused. I'm sure these "experts" got them straightened out and got them convinced how "user friendly " the Expert is and what "amazing things" it will do.
Steve Jaynes said this about the Expert, "I would rate the Ski-Doo top in handling and fun factor. You can ride it all day long and you won't be tired." That is a truly amazing claim, you Cat and Polaris guys must be tough dudes wrestling those beasts you ride all day.
What I find strange is how many of you just haven't recognized the superiority of this amazing machine. Have you not noticed the almost "power steering" feeling you get from Ski-Doos amazing steering design? I don't know why you don't appreciate the predictability of this extreme forward chassis in drifted or rutted out snow? I would think it would remind you of the old days of riding your 3 wheelers. Or, maybe you just haven't learned to appreciate that super flexy, almost noodley, chassis design? Even though it won't hold as steep of a side hill as the Polaris it does it with such ease, you sure won't be tired at the end of the day. And the amazing Ski-Doo 850 linear power that is just incredible, even though you can't really appreciate it because it's so linear it really feels...well flat.
I just felt bad that so many of you are confused. Maybe you will get your sled purchases figured out next year and we will see a few more people viewing that Ski-Doo forum, I hear it's lonely over there. Heck, listen to Steve Jaynes enough and you might even save some money and buy a 600, I hear they're awesome. ??
You seem upset ?

I’m a Polaris guy... have loved everyone I’ve owned, but I agree with all of your(their?) major points stated above, and see no reason to fuss about it. The Doo is super easy to ride, it doesn’t tire you out. It steers the easiest out of all three sleds. It also has the best motor. Good power all the way through... the bottom end really is way better than the Poo- seat of the pants feel anyway, not a noticable difference in a drag race.

I don’t think anyone at Snowest is getting paid to say what they are saying, just some dudes giving good feedback. The Doo just happens to work best for their riding styles.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I just gave my wifes new 850 turbo its last chance today. I don't know what they did but they are extreme front heavy and so is the regular expert also. My buddy's 163 kaos feels twice as light. The motor is awesome but all the adjusting and i can't get rid of it. Finally took it back to the trailer and i grabbed my alpha. I couldn't have made it through the stuff ee played on today. I liked the 17 and 18 except in marginal snow. Just don't like this one and she doesn't either. She will either get a 165 kaos or a 165 mountain max.

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
You seem upset ?

I’m a Polaris guy... have loved everyone I’ve owned, but I agree with all of your(their?) major points stated above, and see no reason to fuss about it. The Doo is super easy to ride, it doesn’t tire you out. It steers the easiest out of all three sleds. It also has the best motor. Good power all the way through... the bottom end really is way better than the Poo- seat of the pants feel anyway, not a noticable difference in a drag race.

I don’t think anyone at Snowest is getting paid to say what they are saying, just some dudes giving good feedback. The Doo just happens to work best for their riding styles.
Nope, not upset. Just like to see objective information. Can't understand how an objective person could fail to discuss some of the negatives of each model as well as their strengths. I've ridden the Doo and I find a lot of negatives to this chassis. I've seen them lose control and roll like a three wheeler. The Cat is a much more stable sled. If you can find a single negative trait mentioned about the Ski-Doo in that article please point it out because I missed it. If I was a Cat rep I'd be pissed....not because they hammered my sled but because they didn't critique each model by the same standard. If they think they did I'd respectfully disagree. I call out bias because I've ridden them all and they are all very equal but different sleds, none of which are lacking some issues.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Doo has terrible suspension, by far its biggest downfall. With some work and tmotion delete there is gains to be made. Doo will never be as light or narrow when your building around a 16 inch track. Fun times for mountain sledders when each brand truly has a great product. It’s not like years past when one manufacturer dominated.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I imagine their choice is based on innovation in the current year. Don't be butthurt your brands subtle changes got put by the wayside. Granted Doo started off slow with their own subtleties, but finished strong with the altitude compensator . I know thats kind of comparing apples and tomatoes but still derseves acknowledgement.

For me the Polaris will never win with all the bad taste it's left in my mouth and ...

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
That's odd! Hearing Skidoo is not good in technical terrain? I just watched a video of Rasmussen riding one and getting around pretty friggen good. Im guessing most of us on the forum aint keeping up with him! Put a good rider on any sled and they will get around. Im no Rasmussen by any means and id rate my technical riding mediocre at best. I have owned a new skidoo every year from 1996 to 2017. I purchased a 2018 RMK and after I got used to it, liked it so much I kept it another year. Now Im riding a Khaos and LOVE the sled. I can ride the Poo much better than I could ever ride the Doo. Guess my point is, if you take the bias out of the equation and if you take the same exact rider, and let them try each sled for the day, I think more people are going to agree that the Poo works much better "all around" in the backcountry, than the Doo. This is coming from a person that rode a Doo for approx 21 yrs, last Doo was a 2017 165" Summit and said screw it, Im going to try something new. As long as im riding the hills and woods, Ill be riding a Poo. I want to thank Doo very much, because if my 17 Summit wasnt such a belt eater, I would still be riding a Doo and would of never got to experience the Axys chasis. Got friends of mine that I ride with that would say the same thing I just said above, but reverse the sleds! Working on the sled in the field, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on here that would say the Doo is easier to work on. The Axys you can have the side panels and hood off in 15 seconds with no tools! Ride what you want, run what ya brung and who really gives a **** if its a Doo, Poo or Cat. Everyone is different, everyone likes what they like.

What Id really like to see is if you take money out of the equation for all these sponsored riders, and they had to pay for their own sled and gear, what would they actually ride??????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
That's odd! Hearing Skidoo is not good in technical terrain? I just watched a video of Rasmussen riding one and getting around pretty friggen good. Im guessing most of us on the forum aint keeping up with him! Put a good rider on any sled and they will get around. Im no Rasmussen by any means and id rate my technical riding mediocre at best. I have owned a new skidoo every year from 1996 to 2017. I purchased a 2018 RMK and after I got used to it, liked it so much I kept it another year. Now Im riding a Khaos and LOVE the sled. I can ride the Poo much better than I could ever ride the Doo. Guess my point is, if you take the bias out of the equation and if you take the same exact rider, and let them try each sled for the day, I think more people are going to agree that the Poo works much better "all around" in the backcountry, than the Doo. This is coming from a person that rode a Doo for approx 21 yrs, last Doo was a 2017 165" Summit and said screw it, Im going to try something new. As long as im riding the hills and woods, Ill be riding a Poo. I want to thank Doo very much, because if my 17 Summit wasnt such a belt eater, I would still be riding a Doo and would of never got to experience the Axys chasis. Got friends of mine that I ride with that would say the same thing I just said above, but reverse the sleds! Working on the sled in the field, I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone on here that would say the Doo is easier to work on. The Axys you can have the side panels and hood off in 15 seconds with no tools! Ride what you want, run what ya brung and who really gives a **** if its a Doo, Poo or Cat. Everyone is different, everyone likes what they like.

What Id really like to see is if you take money out of the equation for all these sponsored riders, and they had to pay for their own sled and gear, what would they actually ride??????

Wow.......apply logic, common sense and an unbiased opinion.....My God man what are you thinking !!! LOL

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It's great to have choices; the OEM sleds are just plain different in design, riding techniques, wrenching, terrain capabilities. Gotta love it, as little as 10 years ago we had to mod a new sled to get it go where any of the three stockers breeze into today with not much more than average Joes riding them. I have little hope that Textron will update the Alpha or the dealer network to buy/service it - that sled is screaming to be advanced and updated to fix its issues and max its potential. The RMK had been advanced to do almost anything/everything good to great, can't be beat as an all around mountain sled that's easier to wrench on. The Summit Turbo is going to be the deep pow, AK, and BC killer next year; Poo absolutely has to offer a factory turbo now. And they will.

Regarding bias - it really wasn't that long ago that SW was accused of being all poo every year. The mags do have their favs - sleds, free stuff, and OEM staff. Bias exists in the mags, but it's typically positive bias, by avoiding/understating negatives and problems. OEMs will holdback $$$ - ads, and free stuff as punishment for negative reviews, and will confront the mags. Free stuff from OEMs and advertisers work. Money (still) talks.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I’m a Polaris guy all the way I have a 2020 850 NA I have rode the new Doo Turbo and I can tell you this if you ride with guys on the the new Doo above 8000ft to 12000ft you will be bummed you will get left behind
What a turbo sled better than NA at altitude? how doo did that trick?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Money talks and bs gets printed. If you are a doo rider it takes quite abit of time on an axys to really get it like 200 miles or a week.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Had the opportunity to ride with Steve last spring. What I can say is he is good at extrapolating what features would be good in mountain riding somewhat. That being said, Im not sure if I saw the sled wheelie or even get up on 1 ski the whole day. It was more of a mountain "touring" ride. Its time to hand the reigns over on tech riding reviews to someone who does even moderately technical riding.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Exactly nick. It would be nice to get an unbiased review for people if that is possible. Probably not. Too much politics in it anymore. I have die hard doo buddies, that ride my alpha, and just hate it. Can't say a good word about it. That just baffles me if you like snowmobiling. You might not want one or like yours better but come on. Not one good thing? Those are the people you want to weed out. I ride everything and like everything but i have a list of good and bad for everything. For me i really don't care because i don't take people's word on something when i don't know them. There are people who do decide what to buy by an article.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
It is hard for people to spend a lot of money and admit that what they bought isn't great, no matter what sled you buy:

"Confirmation bias is a psychological phenomenon in which a person tends to accept those references or findings which confirm his/her existing belief in things."

"Choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected and/or to demote the forgone options."

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
Thanks for all the replies. I've enjoyed the discussion. I used to really look forward to the deep powder challenge but the new format just lacks objectivity to me. Maybe a list by each tester of their 5 favorite things and five suggestions for improvement with each sled. I really liked the suggestions thread for improvement to the 2021 Polaris models ....maybe Polaris will listen to their customers eventually. How about 3 riders that are known for riding each brand and give them a chance to have their minds changed by having them ride the others more than they normally would. At least have your test riders report which sled you normally ride. And if you don't even put money down on your own sled, I'm really not interested in your opinion, because you must not love the sport. As for Snowest Deep Powder Challenge in the future I hope they shoot for a more objective format.

Premium Features