• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Something to think about

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
This summer, I met a principal who was recently named as the administrator of the year in her state. She was loved and adored by all, but she told me she was leaving the profession.
I screamed, "You can't leave us," and she quite bluntly replied, "Look, if I get an offer to lead a school system of orphans, I will be all over it, but I just can't deal with parents anymore; they are killing us."
Unfortunately, this sentiment seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. Today, new teachers remain in our profession an average of just 4.5 years, and many of them list "issues with parents" as one of their reasons for throwing in the towel. Word is spreading, and the more negativity teachers receive from parents, the harder it becomes to recruit the best and the brightest out of colleges.
So, what can we do to stem the tide? What do teachers really need parents to understand?
For starters, we are educators, not nannies. We are educated professionals who work with kids every day and often see your child in a different light than you do. If we give you advice, don't fight it. Take it, and digest it in the same way you would consider advice from a doctor or lawyer. I have become used to some parents who just don't want to hear anything negative about their child, but sometimes if you're willing to take early warning advice to heart, it can help you head off an issue that could become much greater in the future.
Trust us. At times when I tell parents that their child has been a behavior problem, I can almost see the hairs rise on their backs. They are ready to fight and defend their child, and it is exhausting. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I tell a mom something her son did and she turns, looks at him and asks, "Is that true?" Well, of course it's true. I just told you. And please don't ask whether a classmate can confirm what happened or whether another teacher might have been present. It only demeans teachers and weakens the partnership between teacher and parent.
Please quit with all the excuses
The truth is, a lot of times it's the bad teachers who give the easiest grades, because they know by giving good grades everyone will leave them alone.
Ron Clark
And if you really want to help your children be successful, stop making excuses for them. I was talking with a parent and her son about his summer reading assignments. He told me he hadn't started, and I let him know I was extremely disappointed because school starts in two weeks.
His mother chimed in and told me that it had been a horrible summer for them because of family issues they'd been through in July. I said I was so sorry, but I couldn't help but point out that the assignments were given in May. She quickly added that she was allowing her child some "fun time" during the summer before getting back to work in July and that it wasn't his fault the work wasn't complete.
Can you feel my pain?
Some parents will make excuses regardless of the situation, and they are raising children who will grow into adults who turn toward excuses and do not create a strong work ethic. If you don't want your child to end up 25 and jobless, sitting on your couch eating potato chips, then stop making excuses for why they aren't succeeding. Instead, focus on finding solutions.
Parents, be a partner instead of a prosecutor
And parents, you know, it's OK for your child to get in trouble sometimes. It builds character and teaches life lessons. As teachers, we are vexed by those parents who stand in the way of those lessons; we call them helicopter parents because they want to swoop in and save their child every time something goes wrong. If we give a child a 79 on a project, then that is what the child deserves. Don't set up a time to meet with me to negotiate extra credit for an 80. It's a 79, regardless of whether you think it should be a B+.
This one may be hard to accept, but you shouldn't assume that because your child makes straight A's that he/she is getting a good education. The truth is, a lot of times it's the bad teachers who give the easiest grades, because they know by giving good grades everyone will leave them alone. Parents will say, "My child has a great teacher! He made all A's this year!"
Wow. Come on now. In all honesty, it's usually the best teachers who are giving the lowest grades, because they are raising expectations. Yet, when your children receive low scores you want to complain and head to the principal's office.
Please, take a step back and get a good look at the landscape. Before you challenge those low grades you feel the teacher has "given" your child, you might need to realize your child "earned" those grades and that the teacher you are complaining about is actually the one that is providing the best education.
And please, be a partner instead of a prosecutor. I had a child cheat on a test, and his parents threatened to call a lawyer because I was labeling him a criminal. I know that sounds crazy, but principals all across the country are telling me that more and more lawyers are accompanying parents for school meetings dealing with their children.
Teachers walking on eggshells
I feel so sorry for administrators and teachers these days whose hands are completely tied. In many ways, we live in fear of what will happen next. We walk on eggshells in a watered-down education system where teachers lack the courage to be honest and speak their minds. If they make a slight mistake, it can become a major disaster.
My mom just told me a child at a local school wrote on his face with a permanent marker. The teacher tried to get it off with a wash cloth, and it left a red mark on the side of his face. The parent called the media, and the teacher lost her job. My mom, my very own mother, said, "Can you believe that woman did that?"
I felt hit in the gut. I honestly would have probably tried to get the mark off as well. To think that we might lose our jobs over something so minor is scary. Why would anyone want to enter our profession? If our teachers continue to feel threatened and scared, you will rob our schools of our best and handcuff our efforts to recruit tomorrow's outstanding educators.
Finally, deal with negative situations in a professional manner.
If your child said something happened in the classroom that concerns you, ask to meet with the teacher and approach the situation by saying, "I wanted to let you know something my child said took place in your class, because I know that children can exaggerate and that there are always two sides to every story. I was hoping you could shed some light for me." If you aren't happy with the result, then take your concerns to the principal, but above all else, never talk negatively about a teacher in front of your child. If he knows you don't respect her, he won't either, and that will lead to a whole host of new problems.
We know you love your children. We love them, too. We just ask -- and beg of you -- to trust us, support us and work with the system, not against it. We need you to have our backs, and we need you to give us the respect we deserve. Lift us up and make us feel appreciated, and we will work even harder to give your child the best education possible.
That's a teacher's promise, from me to you.
Comments »

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Very well put and completely true.
My wife just got a job this past year with a public school district (elementary school nurse) and the amount of babysitting done by school officials is astounding.
In her 2 schools, approximately 75% of the kids receive free or reduced cost lunch AND breakfast AND afternoon snack! This is not an inner city school district. I realize some are not as fortunate as I, but no way 75% can't afford to feed their kids. It's the lazy way out by the parents who are not parenting. I asked her what the "rest" of the kids do while the majority are scarfing down breakfast during school hrs. She replied "nothing." They sit there and don't receive an education for 30min every morning while their peers eat free breakfast. Not only is it lost learning time, but the teachers are now bussing 20 trays and picking up food scraps form snot slingers when they should be teaching.
We didn't even have a cafeteria until I was in high school. You, or your mom packed a sack lunch, you ate breakfast at home and if you forgot lunch you were pretty hungry when you got home.........helped to keep from forgetting your lunch the next day! Teaches responsibility right?
I have family members who are at the poverty level, long story, but their kids get breakfast at home before going to school.
This is only 1 example.

I went to parent/teacher conferences last month for my 2 kids. While other people's kids were running around tearing the school apart, mine were made to sit and hear us discuss their performance in school. One of my questions to both teachers was "How has my kid behaved this year?"
Not to argue with the teacher if she said they had been bad, but to find out so I could decide if any course of action was needed at home to "reinforce" the need for good behavior. Not surprisingly both kids got good marks for behavior as well as participation and grades. This is in light of 1 of mine having some learning difficulties and other issues brought on by a druggie birth mom (he was adopted), yet somehow he manages to be a good kid, even described as a gentleman and helpful to others by his teacher. I'm very proud of both kids for their performance and reward them as such, but it doesn't get them a free pass to do as they wish or dis-continue putting in that effort.

I have a wonderful wife to credit for alot of our kids' good traits and realize some aren't as lucky, but this overwhelming sense of entitlement by ALOT of people has now breached into the school system and the staff is required to try to "raise" an entire classroom of kids that aren't even theirs when their function should be to teach and train the kids.
Our kids aren't angels, they get in trouble all the time......at home and are dealt with appropriately. And they respond appropriately because even while being disciplined, come bed time, it's time for them to sit with me and read a book or talk or just snuggle, whatever. They however know that bad behavior is dealt with more strictly if they are in a public setting, be it at school, sports or at the mall. I know they need time to blow of steam and can put up with some bs form them at home, but when they are in front of others, they are expected to tow the mark, period.

Parents constantly argue with my wife, the nurse, when she calls them to pick up their sick kid. Having 2 boys, I'm sure she's good at school about being able to weed out the "fakers" and send them back to class, but when they have a fever, puking, etc, her job is not to care for them for the remainder of the day, but to give whatever immediate care is necessary and get them sent home. She's not a babysitter. She writes care plans for those kids with physical and mental problems and sees that they are carried out in school. She tends daily to special needs kids like diabetics. Does the std vision and hearing screenings, etc. Just like teachers, she has a job to do and that job is not BABYSITTER (if I haven't mentioned that, haha).
It's very discouraging to see where this is headed, almost sickening. It doesn't "take a village", it takes parents who do their job as parents. You wanted/had a kid, now it's your JOB to raise them properly. Period, end of story, no excuses.

Teachers are the backbone of our society and imo one of the most under-compensated professions out there. Who should make more $, the union garbage truck driver who just went on strike because he was "only" making $60-70 k a year driving the recycling truck when the real garbage truck drivers were making $80-100k, or the teacher who is responsible for the growth and education (during school, only, parents job the other 18hrs a day) of 20-30 kids each year? True story with the garbage truck drivers.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Its funny... everyone complains about my generation... but look at your generation... You guys aren't any better!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Teachers

My wife has been a special education teacher for over 10 years. She was working at a huge high school in inner city Chicago when we met, now she teaches in the Bozeman School District. One factor that has remained the same in both cases...her frustration over parents. There are exceptions, but the overwhelming common factor is that if the kid behaves badly, more often than not the parents aren't exactly model citizens either. I am obviously biased, but I completely agree on the massive importance of teachers in society. Other than parents, I can't think of anyone else who can positively affect the future of our young people more than teachers. Having firsthand knowledge of the day to day frustrations, it seems like any sum of money is insufficient for what some teachers have to go through.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
The very reason i didnt want to become a teacher, i considered being an ag teacher all throught high school until i seen all the trouble parents are. And I even went to one of the smallest schools in wyoming. Knowing myself I wouldnt last very long in the education system because I like to speak my mind, hoping that its the truth, and that would propbaly be the truth. My mom is a k-2 teacher are she sees it all the time with the little ones. How can parents teach their kids these sorry lessons, especially at such a young age? I like how college works a lot better because there is no parental problems just between you and the teacher and you can just go talk to them yourself. I feel that high school and possibly even middle school should be the same way.

AGREED parents need to get behind the teachers more and help them out. From what I have seen the parents that are always figthing the system have the kids that perform the poorest in and out of the classroom.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
This is a complex societal issue with a multitude of factors at its core. Not a single factor can be changed to fix the larger issue. For those who think all this is happening because people are lazy and feel entitled to handouts is blind to the fact that there are many factors at work. Not making excuses here just trying to point out there is always a cause and effect in every situation. Is it correct to say that we are having all these problems solely because of some bad parenting? NO Does bad parenting have an effect on this issue? YES You hear story after story of kids being successful without any sort of parenting which to me proves there are other factors that contribute to this issue<O:p</O:p
I also have many friends that are teachers and hear all about over protective and often blind parents who think their kids are angels and can do no wrong.<O:p</O:p
Do I think teachers have a tough job YES Are they underpaid? YES Are there good teachers and bad teachers YES Are all teachers innocent of blame? NO. Again there are many factors that go into it. This is a dynamic problem that is ever changing and requires everyone to sit at the table with open mind and open eyes. Until people see that there are two sides to everything, facts do matter and they are willing to compromise somewhere in the middle this problem will continue to fester and get worse.<O:p</O:p
<O:p
AZ800 Did you do research to prove that more then 25% of the people in the district could actually afford food during this countries worst recession in its history or are you just saying that because it justifies your opinion? Not trying to start a fight here. I am just trying to make my point that we are all guilty of using our opinions as facts to draw conclusions to complex issues without looking any deeper into them. Until we as a society are open to seeing all of the factors involved not just the ones that justify our own opinions and are open to different points of view on the same subject these complex issues will never be solved.<O:p</O:p

Premium Features