• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Something to consider about the new Cats...

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
are you kidding me? ONLY 5000 MILES? then you need to pay $200 for pistons and rings? oh no?
I am sorry, i just could not imagine 5000 miles on one sled anyway. If i rode 100 miles of trails everytime out, thats diff. MT. riding, that would be 3 or 4 years for me. And I got out 52 days this winter.

Hah, $200... Long before the pistons actually wear out you will break a piston skirt or blow up a rod bearing. And if you do just happen to throw a piston at it the cylinder is probably not quite as good as it originally was and the piston won't last as long. The crankshaft you can have rebuilt, but it will never be as strong as it was originally since it's been taken apart and put back together. Sure you could have it welded, and you could buy a $2000 crankshaft that won't blow up, but then you could end up with an oiling issue and destroy the crank.

Never mind that all of these things likely ruin a day or more of sledding. And if you have a real job, fixing the stuff before the next weekend is really pushing it time wise, so in reality you miss two weekends.

As for how much riding is 5000 miles, that's less than 3 years. 500 to 600 miles out west, plus about 1200 - 1600 miles trail at low elevations. In addition, 5000 miles is way more than you probably actually will get out of it. It blowing up at around 3000 or 4000 miles is much more likely.

So in reality your only getting 2 reliable seasons out of it. And then if you ride with guys that have 2 strokes as well you need to take into account all the failures that they have that end up requiring you to shorten your day.

2 strokes are for people who have time to burn, and are ok with missing days of sledding.

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
cat out of the bag

While this is a cat forum and we're talking how the disaster in Japan could effect worse case scenerio new cats, nobody making sleds, Poooo or Dooo will be exempt from the same supply issues. They assemble Poo engines in the US for now and make the engine castings and nuts and bolts in US, all else is imported, Koosan electrical parts on the Doo's made in Austria.

I read a number about the percentage of gears for industry world wide all made in INDIA. The DD drive gears, most all the aftermarket chaincase sprockets, all the GM Ford Toyota transmission gears etc etc. India corerned that market 30 years ago. So Ganges river floods and what, no new tundras ?

Hey wait till you can't get a Poo engine due to Mexcian drug raids. Ouch......that hurts.

Z
Jan 26, 2011
Very Valid Point about Japan... Another FYI...The city of St. Cloud, MN is holding up the process of Cat building there new motor factory because of a TAX disagreement on the building. The building was suppose to be finished in early 2012 but they still hasn't broke ground yet.

Cat has been building engines in St Cloud since 2006 so not sure where you got your information. They produce all atv motors 450 cc and up. This will be the same plant that they will build there sled engines in as well. Broke ground years ago.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
B
Apr 14, 2008
FINLAND, MN
order a new cat today! get a free glow in the dark night light!!!!!!!!!!haha very sad whats going on over there. i'm sure there will be plenty of motors,or atleast one in mine :heh:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Very valid point, especially what I read today.

General Motors shut down a plant in Louisiana that makes pick-ups because of a supply chain issue with electronics from Japan. This was due to the earthquake.

So, if GM is having issues getting necessary parts, it is logical to think that Arctic Cat might run into some of the same issues.

This only highlights the threats to our economy by having all our manufacturing "eggs" in one basket, and a basket that is on foreign soil

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Tragedy in Japan, Absolutely, tragedy in other parts of the world from possible nuclear fallout, probally.

But a chance for ambitious US companies to become a supplier for cat, gm, ford, etc if the opportunity arises. The thing is that in reality we are pretty early yet. As far as electronics go and engines. We in the USA have the capabilties to build these parts and right now we have alot of skilled workers looking for work. I know it may be hard to get the casting done for the engines. But I think there are foundries that have the technology across the country.

If cat is looking for a machine shop and can give enough work I will start one and pay for a few new machines I will do it.

Correct me if I am wrong we don't buy parts from japan because they are cheap. . . . We buy from them because of the quality of parts, We buy parts from taiwan, china, malaysia because they are cheap.

If I buy a sled I will pay $1000 more for a USA made product, as that will drive our economy.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I'd rather that they use the existing moldings that they've used for the last 3+ years. Switching foundries 4 or 5 months before the absoulte drop dead delivery date will lead to unreliable motors.

In any case, it will shut them down for a week or two at most. It will be just fine.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I'd rather that they use the existing moldings that they've used for the last 3+ years. Switching foundries 4 or 5 months before the absoulte drop dead delivery date will lead to unreliable motors.

In any case, it will shut them down for a week or two at most. It will be just fine.

That is probally true.

I just really want to see More manufacturing come back to the US. I think it is the only thing that can really FIX our economy.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
like I posted before.cat has the motors for the sleds but not all atv motors.got this from some one I trust at cat. just look back and look at who and when I posted about the pro climb and relax it is all good

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Just wondering, how can they have all the sled motors when they do not have snowcheck or dealer orders yet? How do they know how many they need? Unless they pre-order motors based on last years sales and project sales for the 4 stroke...

CarbonWerx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2010
Missoula, MT
Better test your new motor!!!!!!! :)

Better be testing that new sled with a geiger meter. You have all heard of the lead based paint on kids toys coming from overseas (think that was china)....They are going to be looking to get rid of a few spent fuel rods in the near future and your new sled motor may be the happy shipping container for just such an item. Worlds first nuclear powered sled. (I'm gonna need that longer track......)

Just waiting to catch hell for this post..... "its just a joke folks"

On a serious note, hope this whole worry is moot point and nothing serious happens over there. Quite possibly has the potential to be one of the worst disasters the world has seen.

Last edited:
Premium Features