• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Something to consider about the new Cats...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I could be wrong but I think they have a engine building plant in cold spring, mn. Which is near st cloud. I am not sure though. I applied for a job back there when they first were hiring back in 2007.

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
so worst case scenario, cat doesn't get the engine in time and delivery is starting to get pushed back.... what happened to snowcheckers?

Forced to wait till they come?

get your deposit back?

choice of those 2?

$$$ off for the hassle?

free upgrade to 4banger?

something better?

something worse?

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
it is almost Apr are we sure the motors are not on a 30+ day ship ride you know they buy a full run +replacments at a time not 100 here then 300 prob orderd in sept for delivery early spring

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Snowcheck a Cat and if they do not show up buy a Pro. But then you are probably stuck with it for a couple seasons unless you want to sell it cheap like the other guys that bought a Pro and really want a Cat.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Buy a Pro RMK and have no worries!

Except for that whole 2 stroke motor thing, and its inability to last more than 5000 miles without requiring major repair. Aren't the Polaris 2 strokes even worse than the Arctic Cat ones reliability wise? To say nothing about power...

I don't think that the disaster in Japan will affect Suzuki's ability to produce engines any more than Katrina hurt Detroit's ability to make cars.

I disagree... and here's why:

1) Japan is a MUCH smaller country (geographically and population) than the US. Therefore a big disaster like this effects them more drastically.

2) Katrina did not disrupt electrical power in Detroit, or spew radiation into the air.

3) The damage and destruction from Katrina will be a drop in the bucket compared to what the price tag (money AND human lives) from Japan's Earthquake/Tsunami is going to be.

4) For the typical Japanese worker, building snowmobile engines (even for Arctic Cats) will seem like a low priority compared to rebuilding their country.

R
Jan 31, 2008
SouthEastern Idaho
I disagree... and here's why:

1) Japan is a MUCH smaller country (geographically and population) than the US. Therefore a big disaster like this effects them more drastically.

2) Katrina did not disrupt electrical power in Detroit, or spew radiation into the air.

3) The damage and destruction from Katrina will be a drop in the bucket compared to what the price tag (money AND human lives) from Japan's Earthquake/Tsunami is going to be.

4) For the typical Japanese worker, building snowmobile engines (even for Arctic Cats) will seem like a low priority compared to rebuilding their country.

I lived in Japan for 7 years, and my wife is from Japan so I have some insight on Japan.

1. While this is true and the tragedy will have an effect, the population of Japan is over 125 million (about 1/3 of the USA). The geographic area directly wiped out was large, but by no means the center of Japans industrial heart. This is a resilient people who spend a lot of time and effort in emergency preparedness.

2. My wifes family lives near Osaka, and while they are having issues with electricity in Tokyo, Osaka never lost power at all and I doubt Toyokawa has either. The radiation leak may be more of an issue but it is still way too early to tell, and I still hope this is closer to 3 mile island than Chernobyl

3. True (I think) but again I was comparing geography more than scale.

4. Rebuilding a country is not a 125 million person job, the Japanese economy is centered on the export, and keeping all exporting industries moving will be a priority almost immediately.

I don't know if this will affect Arctic Cat or not but from what I know of Japanese business, if I were a betting man I'd be betting that Suzuki will meet all previous obligations.

Last edited:
S
Sep 16, 2010
So... tens of thousands of people are dead, hundreds of thousands are out of a home, and Japan may be on the brink of nuclear reactor meltdown...

I'm pretty sure snowmobile engines aren't a priority right now!

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Except for that whole 2 stroke motor thing, and its inability to last more than 5000 miles without requiring major repair. Aren't the Polaris 2 strokes even worse than the Arctic Cat ones reliability wise? To say nothing about power...

are you kidding me? ONLY 5000 MILES? then you need to pay $200 for pistons and rings? oh no?
I am sorry, i just could not imagine 5000 miles on one sled anyway. If i rode 100 miles of trails everytime out, thats diff. MT. riding, that would be 3 or 4 years for me. And I got out 52 days this winter.

S
Mar 17, 2009
motors

i heard that cat may get briggs and stratton to make their motors if suzuki cant make them...its nice when you buy a new bs pressure washer and its blowin blue right outta the box...lol

R
Jan 31, 2008
SouthEastern Idaho
So... tens of thousands of people are dead, hundreds of thousands are out of a home, and Japan may be on the brink of nuclear reactor meltdown...

I'm pretty sure snowmobile engines aren't a priority right now!

So when there was no disaster you're saying the whole country was gearing up to make sure that those Cat motors were done right?

My point is the Japanese economy is huge. There will be issues (some long term but more short term) but you may not know this by watching Fox News or CNN, but those people outside the affected areas are going to work everyday.

I assure you there is a guy in Japan for whom making snowmobile engines IS a priority. This guy lives far enough away from the affected area to not be impacted directly so what he can do to help the rebuild effort is do his job (making engines for Suzuki) and use money made from that job to contribute to the red cross.

I've been watching both Japanese and American coverage of this tragic event, and I get so frustrated with the sensationalist American media. Instead of reporting on the facts they feel compelled to report on the "worst case scenario". The Japanese people need a lot of help right now. Trying to discourage people from buying Japanese products isn't the help they need.

Last edited:
Premium Features